In this day and age it is staggering that he has kept this under wraps. I have a lot of time for Bowies 90's output like 'Black Tie', 'Outside' and 'Earthling'. Hopefully he can produce the goods this time. This could be something similar to Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind'; a comeback that addresses issues of age and death. Just speculating but Bowie's recent health scares might have inspired a new set of songs.

Bottom line is whether the album is great or not is the chance to see him live again.

I heard a chunk of a new tune on the radio this morning and was laughing. Not that Bowie has ever been anything if not odd, but that tune ("Where are We Now?") is pretty creepy/craptacular on the quick listens I caught.

David Bowie, the song...or David Bowie, the man? 

They're both totally awesome!

This could be something similar to Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind'; a comeback that addresses issues of age and death.

I thought "Hours" was exactly that. I remember being stunned by some of the direct lyrics on that album when it came out. Bowie had never really written that way before and this sounds like this tune could have been on that album.

I too am thrilled he's back and the new song is just awesome!

• 1 month later...

Not bad, but not exactly thrilling.  Sounds like what one would expect.

LouieB

I was listening to the stream of the album today, and I'm sorry to say this was my reaction to the whole thing. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it is pretty boring after a while. Not the rockfest that Visconti had me anticipating.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay. Just not that interesting, IMHO. Maybe it's, as some like to say, a "grower."

• 2 months later...

Listened to the album for a month or so and it is frustrating. My problem with it is one that every artist seems to be guilty of these days. Just because a CD can hold 70 mins of music doesn't mean you have to fill the time!!. I've have taken about six songs off this and works far better as an album. Its just too long and has too much filler on it.

With a few notably exceptions most good albums don't exceed 45 mins (or two sides of vinyl).