Whats your take on Impossible Germany?

Besides being a Great Song, and a Looked forward to Must Have In Concert Song..

What do you think he is singing about ..

Forgive me if it's been brought up prior....

oops wrong forum 

Moderator please move ..

sorry folks Im a little fuzzy today

Patriots fan in Recovery from last nights debacle

I love the song. Musically, one of the most beautiful Wilco efforts ever...as far as lyrics go, Jeff does describe to some extent in the Sky Blue Sky Bonus DVD, but he sorta pulls a Dylan and after a long explanation, you still don't really know what he said. So in my opinion, the song is just about a failing love. Just trying to keep something together even though it is so very obvious it will fail. The lyrics are some of my favorites in the Wilco catalogue. Especially "But this is what love is for/To be out of place/Gorgeous and alone/Face to face."  and "Nothings more important than to know someone's listening." Its some of Jeff's most honest lyrics, but at the same time, his most hidden, secretive lyrics. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Its just what I've gathered.

Moved.  No worries, roadhse ma.  I'm still reeling from the Packers debacle last week...

Hell, I'm still reeling at what is approaching 20 years of Cowboy football futility....

Hell, I'm still reeling at what is approaching 20 years of Cowboy football futility....

I'm officially a Seahawks fan.  Future looks bright.

As for the song: I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to listen to it.  It's a good rest/bathroom song for me at a concert.

I'm officially a Seahawks fan.  Future looks bright.

As for the song: I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to listen to it.  It's a good rest/bathroom song for me at a concert.

You should become a fan of the team with the REAL 12TH MAN.

Anyway...I think Impossible Germany is a really nice rumination of the effects of being in a band and being in love. Keeping things together against the odds. I also think it is a bit tired these days and should be retired. However, I don't think it will go out of the set anytime soon. It allows Nels to show off his chops and gives the band a bit of the "Jam Band' air that they seem to so want to nurture.

Impossible Germany
Unlikely Japan
Wherever you go
Wherever you land

I'll say what this means to me
I'll do what I can
Impossible Germany
Unlikely Japan

Fundamental problem
All need to face
This is important
But I know you're not listening
No, I know you're not listening

This was still new to me
I wouldn't understand
Impossible Germany
Unlikely Japan

This is what love is for
To be out of place
Gorgeous and alone
Face to face

With no larger problems
That need to be erased
Nothing more important
Than to know someone's listening
Now, I know you'll be listening

Anyway...I think Impossible Germany is a really nice rumination of the effects of being in a band and being in love. Keeping things together against the odds. I also think it is a bit tired these days and should be retired. However, I don't think it will go out of the set anytime soon. It allows Nels to show off his chops and gives the band a bit of the "Jam Band' air that they seem to so want to nurture.

Trying to explain oblique and obviously obscure lyrics is a fools game for anyone.  I don't think this has anything to do with being in a band and being in love, but then again I could be wrong because I have no idea what some of this refers to. I do think it refers to being in a relationship that involves some distance between the participants that may be in conflict on a regualr basis and clearly the need for communication or some sort of resolution to the dispute.  Or with regard to some of the lines, they could just be words stuck in there to fill out what is a pretty fine melody. 

This is a great song for the reason pointed out. It gives Nels a chance to play an actual solo that everyone knows how it will progress and finally resolve: it isn't abstract and usually doesn't involve shredding: just some really sweet harmony playing by the rest of the band.  I wish he got to play more solos like this taking time to air it out, finding a climax and then having a nice flourish at the end.

The fact that it refers to two of the three major antagonists (the Axis) during WWII is kind of interesting I think.  What is that about?

LouieB

I remember reading at the time the album was released that this was a song about Jeff Tweedy deciding it was time to do something about his addiction to pain killers. He had been putting off going to rehab, citing his busy tour schedule, but realized that there was never going to be a better time to do it. 

I guess I shouldn't have read that interview because now that is the only interpretation I have of that song.

It is my default piss break song during Wilco shows. Everyone else seems to love it, so the bathroom lines are short...and I don't really miss anything, because when I get back to my seat the song is still going on.

If they never played it again that wouldn't bother me a bit...unless, of course, I had to take a whiz. Not sure when I'd go...

I think "Shake It Off" was written specifically to be a piss break song, hence the title. 

"Handshake Drugs" is probably my only piss break song.  The first couple times I heard it live, loved it.. But after you've heard it 3 or 4 times, it's like "ok enough of the noise guys, we get it"... Piss break. 

I talk like I'm a regular Wilco concert goer.  I haven't seen them live in 3 years.

Piss break.

it is stunning to me to think this is a piss break song for some people....c'mon, that's what "Shake It Off" or "Hate It Here" is for.

to me, this is one of Jeff's most brilliant lyrics. and i love the buildup / tension at the end, even though i know it's coming every time.

I'm also a writer, and I always disliked the lyrics. But then, I am more of a Via Chicago/She's a Jar type of guy. :lol

After seeing it live a bunch of times, I can appreciate how it gets the crowd going, but it would never make my top 50 Wilco songs list. Also, I can appreciate the 3 guitar thing, but not with Nels. I feel like we hear more than enough of him all night as it is...He could really just sit out a few songs at a show, and it would still be good.

"Handshake Drugs" is probably my only piss break song.  The first couple times I heard it live, loved it.. But after you've heard it 3 or 4 times, it's like "ok enough of the noise guys, we get it"... Piss break. 

That song was great in its original, stripped down incarnation. Acoustic guitar, no "wall of noise" at the end. The last couple times I have seen it, the noise at the end was just excruciating.

That song was great in its original, stripped down incarnation. Acoustic guitar, no "wall of noise" at the end. The last couple times I have seen it, the noise at the end was just excruciating.

After agreeing with you 100% on Impossible Germany, I have to disagree with you on Handshake Drugs.  I never get tired of it.  It always sounds great and the noise at the end still has a great effect on me.

After agreeing with you 100% on Impossible Germany, I have to disagree with you on Handshake Drugs.  I never get tired of it.  It always sounds great and the noise at the end still has a great effect on me.

Did you ever hear the earliest versions in 2002? You might prefer the later, noisier versions anyway, but they are interesting. And you can always understand the lyrics.

What I really dislike is the reworked Via Chicago with all the stop/start drum parts and noise that obscures the lyrics in places. I always want to hear all the lyrics when I see live music, especially a classic tune like VC.

I always thought this was a song about the trade deficit..

Fundamental problem
All need to face
This is imported..

I dunno, maybe this post belongs in the misheard lyrics thread.

This song never disappoints in concert.  I love when guitar work throughout the song especially when Jeff and Pat play off each other.  I thought I read somewhere that the song was about how -ucked up some of the things Germany and Japan did during WW2 and that it is kind of an example that anything is possible and that no country/or person is immune to doing crazy shit if left unchecked.

It is my default piss break song during Wilco shows. Everyone else seems to love it, so the bathroom lines are short...and I don't really miss anything, because when I get back to my seat the song is still going on.

If they never played it again that wouldn't bother me a bit...unless, of course, I had to take a whiz. Not sure when I'd go...

Umm all Wilco songs are potential piss breaks songs.... nothing about the songs themselves but my aging prostate... wearing depends at a show might be the answer since I dont want to miss anything... and sorry I love Impossible Germany... its a soaring beautiful anthem

No idea what the song is about. But I rank it as one of the all-time great songs. As my buddy says, "Impossibly" great tune. The opaqueness of the lyrics, the melody, the 3 guitars wrapping around each other, Nels, the resolution. A masterpiece. I listen to mostly live Wilco when I listen to Wilco, and it looks boring on the setlist. Ho hum, another Impossible Germany. But then it comes on, and it never fails to move me. I think I'm bored with it, and then it just blows me away. Every time.

Kinda feel the same. Loved it at first, but fading... Actually I much prefer Unlikely Japan over Impossible Germany. 

Its pretty much the same song with a lot less hooks and a whole lot more distortion.

LouieB