Your Favorite Keyboard Players

Well hell if we're gonna throw jazz in here I HAVE to mention Bud Powell and Cecil Taylor, because no one else will ('cept maybe Lou).

When we look at these lists and respond how many of us actually put down players, bands, songs etc that we like and are familiar with and how many toss out named to be included? I only ask because I hear keys in songs and enjoy some, like Roy Bittan, but I never really think of keys ayers outside of the context of a band or song. Maybe it's my ignorance of the instrument and probably how I view it within the context of the sound. Just a thought/comment.

I met Lyle Mays once, backstage at at Pat Metheney show that I was working. Very gracious.

And when he shook my hand, he could've wrapped his fingers around my arm six times! Incredibly long, long fingers.

Well hell if we're gonna throw jazz in here I HAVE to mention Bud Powell and Cecil Taylor, because no one else will ('cept maybe Lou).

I was just listening to Bud Powell last night, strangely enough. There is really no doubt that throwing jazz musicians in with rock/soul/ etc is just not fair. How can you compare those guys or Bill Evans and Thelonius Monk to anyone else.

I think we have to put some parameters on this discussion but it isn't my thread. I mean Booker T is a very fine keyboard player, but you can't put him up against jazz guys. Very few rock musicians can compete with them, nor would you want them to, it would ruin a lot of good old fashioned rock and soul.

LouieB

I was just listening to Bud Powell last night, strangely enough. There is really no doubt that throwing jazz musicians in with rock/soul/ etc is just not fair. How can you compare those guys or Bill Evans and Thelonius Monk to anyone else.

I think we have to put some parameters on this discussion but it isn't my thread. I mean Booker T is a very fine keyboard player, but you can't put him up against jazz guys. Very few rock musicians can compete with them, nor would you want them to, it would ruin a lot of good old fashioned rock and soul.

LouieB

The applicable instruments and genres were not clear in the instructions. 

I agree there's no comparison, but I'm not sure we're comparing. We're just making lists. I love Monk and Leroy Bach for very different reasons.

I agree there's no comparison, but I'm not sure we're comparing. We're just making lists. I love Monk and Leroy Bach for very different reasons.

Yup.

Not "best."

Favorite.

When I was a kid I once asked my brothers "Is it possible to have a favorite something and think something else is the best at the same time?" They said no. Fuck them.

I think it is.

There are different criteria for "favorite" and "best".

"Best" implies some sort of objective criteria are being applied. "Favorite" gives not a whiff of shit about objectivity; it's all about what moves you.

When I was a kid I once asked my brothers "Is it possible to have a favorite something and think something else is the best at the same time?" They said no. Fuck them.

The Beatles are objectively better than Bob Mould.  But I didn't get to see the Beatles in 1st Avenue with a few hundred people at a time in my life when I was most emotionally connected to their songs.  Ergo, the Beatles are better than Bob Mould, but Bob Mould is my favorite.