I don't like Kid Rock but good on him

Not a fan of his music, but this is a class move by someone that I never considered a class act before this.

As somebody who goes to a lot of concerts I appreciate this move from the wallet standpoint.

BUT

I have some concerns about this.

1) de-valuing the experience - Bob Ritchie can't single handedly change the value of a concert, but if the value of a live show goes down that leaves no money for musicians. Live music is it as far as revenue for musicians at this point. I want to hear good music. I'm willing to pay for it - I hope others continue to do so as well. Otherwise we are stuck with whoever is capable of doing it without making money.

2) Drinking and driving. I paid $24 for two beers at a Wilco show in Miami on the evening w/ tour and was angry, but you know what? Because of the cost I went home with the tiniest of buzzes instead of wasted. How many Kid Rock/ ZZ Top fans are going to be driving home sober?

2) Drinking and driving. I paid $24 for two beers at a Wilco show in Miami on the evening w/ tour and was angry, but you know what? Because of the cost I went home with the tiniest of buzzes instead of wasted. How many Kid Rock/ ZZ Top fans are going to be driving home sober?

I did think about this.  It's a good point.  I do think they could do a lot to encourage responsible drinking, even cheaper soft drinks, dd wristbands, increased security in the parking lots and traffic stops.

1) de-valuing the experience - Bob Ritchie can't single handedly change the value of a concert, but if the value of a live show goes down that leaves no money for musicians. Live music is it as far as revenue for musicians at this point. I want to hear good music. I'm willing to pay for it - I hope others continue to do so as well. Otherwise we are stuck with whoever is capable of doing it without making money.

Being "stuck with whoever is capable of doing it without making money"? So does that include all the awesome acts I can see at Schubas or The Hideout or Lincoln Hall, or countless other places I have seen great live music, always for less than $20?

Being "stuck with whoever is capable of doing it without making money"? So does that include all the awesome acts I can see at Schubas or The Hideout or Lincoln Hall, or countless other places I have seen great live music, always for less than $20?

Absolutely includes those artists. I love seeing them too (great show at Lincoln Hall last night w/ Deerhoof). I'm putting forth an idea (not original) that if there isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow there won't be people out there going for it. Deerhoof isn't a good example, but Alabama Shakes - how long would they continue to make music and tour w/out making money if there wasn't a chance to make money in the future?

Well, there's always going to be a chance to make money. Will Alabama Shakes ever get paid like Jay-Z? Doubtful. Do all musicians join a band to get PAID? doubtful. 

I agree there is always a chance to make money and not all musicians join a band to get PAID (why caps? makes me think of the new bad ZZ Top song). Jury is out on AL Shakes.

I'm saying if the value of performing live music decreases so do the amount of people attempting to do it. I love live music and want to see tons of people making a go of it - even those who wish to make some money doing so.

I used to be a Kid Rock fan btw. Still like some of his songs, but his politics started to piss me off during the last election (even though he respected other opinions I just couldn't see supporting Romney).

I think creative types are called to their profession. Regardless, for every example of a working man's musician (meaning, not rich, but able to make a living) I could come up with, you could come up with one who is only in it for the money. 

I all-capped PAID, because I was thinking of Old Dirty Bastard lyrics a friend of mine always repeats.  "Who the fuck wanna be an MC, if you can't get PAID to be an MC?"

I've got some issues with Kid Rock, but I saw a story, years ago when he was still with Pamela Anderson, about a show he did in Afghanistan.  He took a bunch of the soldiers/marines out to the McDonald's on the base, and while they were sitting there he pulled out his phone, dialed it, then passed it around and let them all say hi to Pam.  Sweet move.

I did think about this.  It's a good point.  I do think they could do a lot to encourage responsible drinking, even cheaper soft drinks, dd wristbands, increased security in the parking lots and traffic stops.

I'm guessing a large chunk of Kid Rock's crowd is not waiting to get in and buy $4 Beers in order to get their drunk on. Or are you hoping expensive beer will stop the drinking and allow them to sober up for the ride home?