AmericanaramA Concert 1 - West Palm Beach, FL 6/26/13

I get the feeling these AmericanaramA threads will all be discussions of whether or not Bob Dylan is any good!

I've seen Dylan many times over the last 20 years. He's deliberately dialed down the rock over the last ten years;

Whereas for me, an album like Love & Theft is one of the 10 best things he's ever done. And Tempest is pretty brilliant in its own right. It's amazing that the guy has been able to produce new material that's this good, this late in his career. And I don't blame him at all for showcasing the last 15 years of his music. If you don't have Time Out of Mind, that's your problem, not Dylan's.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more! I remember on the L&T tour everything about his performance was great. A fellow fan ask me at the gig what my favorite Dylan recorded was and when I said Love & Theft he had no idea what I was talking about. I have always respected Dylan's work but from L&T on I have listened for entertainment.

Although the last time I saw him during the mark Knopfler tour he was not very entertaining for me. But then again he was playing a shitty corporate venue and I was in the balcony.

What I can't abide anymore is his tattered, shattered voice. His voice was rarely strong to begin with (maybe when he quit cigarettes around the time of Lay, Lady, Lay?), but the past few times I have seen him, it appears to be gone. So add up 2-3 songs that a majority of the audience does not want to hear, a few others with difficult arrangements to get your ears around, Bob's apparent indifference onstage, and his lost voice, and you have many people who I think will walk out of the show thinking MMJ and Wilco are pretty damn good.

One great thing about last night: Bob's engagement. Viewing him from the rail/front row, I think he smiled at least 15-20 times, and those are just the ones I noticed. It was downright shocking how into it, and having a good time, he seemed to be. Caught him on a good night, I guess.

I don't mind the Dylan set. Cool he through She Belongs To Me in there. Really hope he throws in Visions for the Detroit show! He didn't play it when I saw him last year, I was a bit bummed.

based on stats, visions was played at every show on the last tour and she belongs seems to be in the same spot so far