How Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy Learned To Grow Up And Start Firing His Friends

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big Josh Ritter fan, and Josh Ritter has always billed himself solo or as "Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band" or variations of that.  He's had a number of people in his backing bands, and he's had a consistent line-up for a while. He LOVES the guys in his band right now, and you can see that they get a fair amount of independence.  If Josh decides to change musical directions, then Josh might ditch his bandmates if they can't make that shift in their playing styles.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Jeff is obviously the primary force of Wilco.  Without him, there's no Wilco.  For the most part, each album varies greatly from the last.  The fiddle/banjo guy left after Being There, because, wow Summerteeth has no room for that kind of sound.  Summerteeth is pretty well-liked around here, right?  It's fantastic, and there was no reason to keep fiddle/banjo guy if that's not what they were playing.

The shift in the percussion sound is sharp and immediately noticeable from Summerteeth to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  I can't imagine the power pop drum sound of I'm Always in Love or ELT on Kamera or Heavy Metal Drummer.  And I don't think A Ghost is Born would have been as...however it is...if Jay was still in the band.  There's a sharp contrast between the Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot arrangements and the A Ghost is Born arrangements.  

The sound didn't change because Jeff axed bandmates, Jeff axed bandmates to change the sound.  Yes it's the Jeff Tweedy Band, but that's a lame name, don't you think?

Tweedy is the decider -- I don't dispute it.  Reminds me of...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4F6aLCYjjo

Just continuing in this vein... who do you think should be fired right now?  

I think Tweedy should have Tony fire the Pat Metheny guy, the guy with the bouffant hairdo, and Kotche.  Maybe he could be like the AOL CEO and do it on a conference call to thousands of fans and reporters.

Just continuing in this vein... who do you think should be fired right now?  

I think Tweedy should have Tony fire the Pat Metheny guy, the guy with the bouffant hairdo, and Kotche.  Maybe he could be like the AOL CEO and do it on a conference call to thousands of fans and reporters.

I'm calling troll here

Anyone who would fire Glenn Kotche from any percussion-related job is obviously a troll, or Coomer's mom.

Anyone who would fire Glenn Kotche from any percussion-related job is obviously a troll, or Coomer's mom.

:lol