How Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy Learned To Grow Up And Start Firing His Friends

No, Wilco doesn't dodge questions. They are very open. I just don't know why they would participate in an article about Wilco Inc.

Same reason they'd participate in an article about their music.  It's something they do and have been successful at, people are interested in it, so why not talk about it?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same reason they'd participate in an article about their music.  It's something they do and have been successful at, people are interested in it, so why not talk about it?

It comes off as arrogant.

That would be a great title for the upcoming Wilco/Tweedy realty show ---- heaven forbid!

The last straw for me would be if they go into real estate

That's a matter of personal perception.  I didn't thik any of it was arrogant. 

If they own the loft, they are in real estate.

Hey I didn't write the below :lol (not that I don't agree with, necessarily, though ---- it did throw me for loop, I had to go back in the thread to see if I did write it)

calvino, on 25 Jul 2013 - 13:19, said:snapback.png

The tour grosses came from pollstar not wilco, and the merch grosses are from unnamed sources.  not sure where pollstar gets its ticket sales figures, or who the sources are.

Anyone know what standard splits are for venue/promoter/talent for a band of wilco's size, or what a reasonable estimate is for merchandise revenue as a percentage of sales?  

Anyone?

Bueller? 

Anyone know what standard splits are for venue/promoter/talent for a band of wilco's size

"Touring expenses, which for Wilco’s domestic gigs include two buses and a crew of about 20, typically run about 60

percent of gross, according to Pollstar’s Bongiovanni."

Guest Jules

So Gross Profit is 3.6M on the estimated 9M in ticket sales.  Not bad, but now take out all other expenses (insurance, rent, equipment, recording costs, band member salaries) and you have comfortable but not what I would call wealthy musicians.

"And they have a fan base that they can rely on. In 2012, they played to average
audiences of 3,100, with tickets around $50. Touring expenses, which for Wilco’s
domestic gigs include two buses and a crew of about 20, typically run about 60
percent of gross"

Just out of curiosity do you think "Touring expenses" include the bands pay?

I have a great old roommate/friend that works as drum tech for DMB and he started when they were in a Van in 92-93. Hes been nothing but Carter Beaufords right hand man for 20 years and I can assure you he is loaded. But that's a bit different maybe because he was one of the bands first 3 roadies.

DMB probably makes more money because their tickets cost more and they sell more of them. They play stadiums and huge venues.

I think you may be right --- you can add, they sell more records, merchandise, etc....  plus chicks seem to dig Mathews much more so than Tweedy.

So Gross Profit is 3.6M on the estimated 9M in ticket sales.  Not bad, but now take out all other expenses (insurance, rent, equipment, recording costs, band member salaries) and you have comfortable but not what I would call wealthy musicians.

for a musician, what's the threshold for considered wealthy these days?

You're still leaving out all of their other revenue streams.

for a musician, what's the threshold for considered wealthy these days?

Not having to go back to your job at Captain D's when the tour is over.

Not to mention that DMB makes shit ton more money on the road then Wilco (very sad to say).

Why sad?  I'll admit it, I go to DMB shows, I enjoy their music, I'd much prefer for Wilco to stay where they are, smaller shows, less hassle, nicer venues...

Wealthy?  Now that's a hard one, but I guess it's best to but a framework around it, they are working musicians, they are not hauling their own equipment around and struggling to get people to come to their shows, however they are also not selling billions of records and getting $600/seat to play stadiums and huge arenas.  So to put it in that scale I'd say they are comfortably in between starving Musician (on the one extreme) and Mick Jager and Paul McCartney (on the other).

It's probably safe to say that nobody in Wilco, with the possible exception of Tweedy, could retire today and be set for life.  By that metric, they are not wealthy.  

It's probably safe to say that nobody in Wilco, with the possible exception of Tweedy, could retire today and be set for life.  By that metric, they are not wealthy.  

I'm starting to think my wealthy comment was unneeded.  How much did they all get paid, and manage to save/invest from touring in the last 5 years?  How much did they get for VW commercials?  What do royalties, and various downloads/streaming payments look like every month?

I suspect that adds up to some number that's either pretty nice, or impressively substantial, but also is probably not my business.  But I guess that gets into the criticisms people raised about the existence of the article- it leads you to ask questions you normally wouldn't ask (i.e. "How much does Mikael pull in after a month long tour of the U.S.?  $20k? $30k?").

But again, most importantly:  good for those guys.  They deserve it.