Greatest live acts list - Wilco number 12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a lot of that Bowie 50th birthday thing on youtube within the past week.  I got kinda tired of Reeves' sound.  I do love that 1st Tin Machine LP.  I'm not sure how it would meld w/ the Cure unless he reeled himself in quite a bit.  

Having said that, a Nels/Reeves pairing would be something.

I am not too familiar with Reeves, I do have Cure boot DVD from from a festival they did last year and he played with them --- he definitely did not reel himself in too much at Lolla - he was pretty much all over the place (in a good way) --- the show was perfectly mixed, too (at least from where I was standing - right next to the soundboard). He fit right in --- definitely a lot more 'shredding' then I expected to see at a Cure show.

Below is the complete Lolla show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Ioppd81mY

Guest Jules

Comparison with Rolling Stone.....yeah, that makes sense.

Better yet, let's dispense with the collective "we" and just compare the "you." I'll show you mine if you show me yours, ten at a time. Game, Jules?

No thanks.  You seem to have a strong opinion re: this list, so I was curious what yours would look like. 

Guest Jules

I'm not much for lists and don't see enough live music to offer much value there.  You were up in arms over the "terrible and predictable list", and surely your opinion of the "greatest live acts" must be better than some Rolling Stone writer.

I've only see Bruce once, at one of the final shows at Giants Stadium. Yeah, he's got a more than competent band and plenty of energy, but much like my criticism of Dave Grohl, he panders to his audience way too much.

Pete's lost a lot of his stage presence, Roger gamely makes an effort, but for me the clear balance tipper was that they played Quadrophenia. it was incredible.

Mr Heartbreak, I only got to see two songs of McCartney's show at Fenway a couple of years ago but all reports I've heard from friends who have seen him were positive.

Saw Arcade Fire in a headlining slot at JazzFest a few years ago. Wasn't familiar with their music, only went because my kids were really encouraging me to check them out. I made my reluctant friends come with me to the Acura stage. We were all impressed, big time. They put on a great show.

I assumed they were a great live band (never seen them), I was actually Just surprised Rolling Stone picked them #4.  My favorite shows have all been small club shows which I realize is not really a fair comparison.  I tend to avoid the big stadium shows so have never seen Springsteen or the Stones.  Best large shows I have seen are McCartney and Roger Waters.

I just got my actual copy of the magazine in the mail today. Maybe everybody else realized this already, but the article on live shows is actually the cover story, so it's especially nice to see the boys so high on the list. Yes, it would have been gratifying--and CORRECT--to see them crack the top 10, but still, #12 looks pretty good on the page. I had just assumed this was one of those online blog polls.

Guest Don Draper

:lol Which isn't to imply that their non-poll research is scientific.  Is it wrong that I lost interest in Rolling Stone when they shrunk the size of the magazine?

When I was a friendless teenager I used to listen to Whiskeytown in my bedroom until the wee hours of the morning and make collages of pictures from Rolling Stone with butcher paper I stole from church.  I really, really wish I was making that up.

Guest Don Draper

:lol

Also, on topic (sorry), I have no idea why Tom Petty isn't ranked higher.  Class act, and worth every penny even if you haven't heard a note of him.  Prior to my Tom Petty concert, my only familiarity was that scene in Silence of the Lambs with the plus-size chick and "American Girl."

Below is the complete Lolla show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Ioppd81mY

This is a great show.  Reeves is definitely making his style fit with the style of the songs here.  If you want a comparison search youtube for anything from Bowie's 50th birthday show and on almost any song you'll -- I think -- get a sense for what I mean.  I love his playing, but I didn't need to hear screeching notes on every song.