Greatest live acts list - Wilco number 12

Yet another Rolling Stone list - this time the Greatest Live Acts Right Now.   Wilco at number 12.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/50-greatest-live-acts-right-now-20130731

12. Wilco

Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline have become one of the best two-guitar-fronts in rock. Plus, their catalog has grown fat with gems, and you never know what they're going to play. "Their current lineup plays older material better than the band that recorded the originals," says fan and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon music booker Jonathan Cohen. "That's a rare thing."

Showstopper: "Heavy Metal Drummer" is still the sing-a-along fave, while guitar fiends are most likely to faint during "Impossible Germany" or "Spiders (Kidsmoke)."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Don Draper

I would agree with that.  I was really impressed by Wilco live...I'm glad they seem to be able to capture the energy in the studio as well.

But Rolling Stone these days is Buzzfeed without the animated gifs.  Lists and quips and pictures.

List is pretty good and broad. No drive by truckers.

Actually agree with Bruce at 1. 3+ ever night. Setlist that change and have special moments in all of them. Also he plays a lot of dates. Great band behind him.

Arcade Fire is excellent live.  I don't know that I'd put them at number 4 of all current performing acts.  Personally, I would have definitely ranked Wilco higher than them.

Paul McCartney should be higher than 15 for sure.  His shows are rad.  What a great performer.

What a shocker, Rolling Stone has Springsteen, Neil Young and Rolling Stones in the top 5.  Have to admit the Arcade Fire choice surprised me though.

Saw Arcade Fire in a headlining slot at JazzFest a few years ago. Wasn't familiar with their music, only went because my kids were really encouraging me to check them out. I made my reluctant friends come with me to the Acura stage. We were all impressed, big time. They put on a great show.

Arcade Fire is excellent live.  I don't know that I'd put them at number 4 of all current performing acts.  Personally, I would have definitely ranked Wilco higher than them..

Agreed. Wilco goes in my number 1 slot. Followed by Phish. Surprised the Allman Bros. don't even make the top 50. Derek and Warren in front of that rhythm section is a treat. Really hoping Prince makes his way to the Boston area, been reading about his fantastic live shows for some time.

Yet another Rolling Stone list - this time the Greatest Live Acts Right Now.   Wilco at number 12.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/50-greatest-live-acts-right-now-20130731

Where s that Tweedy and Glenn footage from? I need more of that! (And why didn't RS link a video that shows the two guitar fronted band they made a point of writing about?..).

Where s that Tweedy and Glenn footage from? I need more of that! (And why didn't RS link a video that shows the two guitar fronted band they made a point of writing about?..).

I recognize that footage from the "Sunken Treasure" DVD. Agree really poor choice of video to demonstrate what the band does live, and the examples of what thrills the crowd are dated.  Still glad Wilco ranked so highly.

Tom Waits is the safe critics pick and he tours about as often as new popes get picked.

You're right, of course, that he doesn't tour much, but I was just listening to Mule Variations in the car today and thinking that there is literally no one I would rather see live right now than Tom Waits. Everyone else that I love I've managed to see at least once over the years, but I've never seen Tom. So maybe it's the rarity factor that put him on the list--that and the fact that his live shows are legendary. Quality > quantity.  

Terrible and predictable list.

Tom Waits is the safe critics pick and he tours about as often as new popes get picked. One (1!) metal band and it's Metallica. The only two dinosaur acts that belong in the top 50 are Neil and Iggy.

Give me a fucking break.

Those RS lists aren't worth anything, but they are always good to generate a discussion :guitar

Terrible and predictable list.

Tom Waits is the safe critics pick and he tours about as often as new popes get picked. One (1!) metal band and it's Metallica. The only two dinosaur acts that belong in the top 50 are Neil and Iggy.

And Springsteen.

The Who show I saw last year blew Springsteen away.

Nope, just Neil and Iggy in my top 50.

I'll take you at your word, but I am highly dubious.

Just having seeing The Cure this past weekend at Lolla (for the 1st time), I'd put them in the top 50. Great solid show. I would love to see Reeves Gabrel play with Nels Cline, someday.  Smith still has a great voice and the rest of are solid as ever.

Just having seeing The Cure this past weekend at Lolla (for the 1st time), I'd put them in the top 50. Great solid show. I would love to see Reeves Gabrel play with Nels Cline, someday.  Smith still has a great voice and the rest of are solid as ever.

Is Reeves Gabrels in The Cure now?   I agree he and Nels wopuld be an interesting pairing.

I watched a lot of that Bowie 50th birthday thing on youtube within the past week.  I got kinda tired of Reeves' sound.  I do love that 1st Tin Machine LP.  I'm not sure how it would meld w/ the Cure unless he reeled himself in quite a bit.  

Having said that, a Nels/Reeves pairing would be something.