Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

• 7 months later...

I felt like Mark Maron was a bit condescending about the whole southern thing. It made me feel a little bit mad, honestly. 

Interesting interview otherwise. 

i didn't sense that at all. i've given isbell a listen in the past, and didn't enjoy him much. i did, however, enjoy the interview quite a bit, especially the song he played at the end. i'm thinking i need to give him another shot.

This interview is OK.  I love Jason Isbell (drove up to Madison, WI from Chicago in February with a friend just to see him).  This interview with Terry Gross of Fresh Air is better.

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/17/202369759/jason-isbell-locates-his-musical-compass-on-southeastern

I like him because he is a smart man, a clever songwriter, and what an astounding voice.

I felt like Mark Maron was a bit condescending about the whole southern thing. It made me feel a little bit mad, honestly. 

what did you find condescending?  I did not hear that at all.  

what a great interview and great guy.

I didn't find Maron condescending either, however, the first person who commented on the WTF page mentioned the same thing. I'm curious...

Wow, that was great.  Didn't realize he had a falling out with Justin Townes Earle.

i didn't either...i ran into JTE at newport last year and mentioned i'd not seen him since the tour he did w/ Jason and he looked at me, mumbled something and walked away.

this drawing annoys me for some reason. i've never listened to a podcast but i downloaded both isbell and hood's and plan on listening to them this weekend.

wtf_scream.gif

The way he was acting about the farm life and stuff, in my mind, felt condescending. Like, asking Jason, "was that real?" like rural communities are some sort of fairy tale, or something.That was what rubbed me the wrong way. 

I didn't think the comments about "rich red necks" or whatever was condescending. That's very true.

like Jason said, the term red neck didn't always conjure a stereotype, it used to refer to a person that worked hard outside all day, thus they have a red neck (and my dad is actually one of those people). 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...