• 1 month later...

So what stops are you all pulling out for the holidays? I'd have thought this thread would be busier this time of year. Every Christmas Eve, my mom makes standing rib roast that she dry-ages for a few days in the fridge. It is the most delicious roast beast that I eat all year! Sometimes there are popovers or Yorkshire pudding to go with... nothing like beef drippings to bring on the deliciousness.

Wait, maybe I should start The Eating Thread and just post there!

So what stops are you all pulling out for the holidays? I'd have thought this thread would be busier this time of year. Every Christmas Eve, my mom makes standing rib roast that she dry-ages for a few days in the fridge. It is the most delicious roast beast that I eat all year! Sometimes there are popovers or Yorkshire pudding to go with... nothing like beef drippings to bring on the deliciousness.

yep, the standing rib roast is a tradition...mustard/garlic/thyme rub, horseradish sauce on the side.

For some reason the tradition on Xmas eve at my moms is Clam chowder and oyster stew.  Usually everyone is so stuffed from cheese ball and cookies and all the other stuff that soup works pretty good.  That Roast beast does sound good.

Mostly baking... we have a family recipe for "nut rolls" (gotta be a better name out there, but that's what we call 'em) which are a rolled up walnut cookie in a pastry dough that's kind of a cross between pie crust and shortbread.  Those are pretty labor intensive, so not too many of those.  And pizzelles, the Italian anise-flavored waffle cookies.  Those are easier and we make a zillion.  Everyone we know gets pizzelles in December...

we have a family recipe for "nut rolls" (gotta be a better name out there, but that's what we call 'em) which are a rolled up walnut cookie in a pastry dough that's kind of a cross between pie crust and shortbread.  Those are pretty labor intensive, so not too many of those. 

we call those "nut horns" (which looks weird as I type it, but that's the name)... a "nut roll" for us is a typical jelly roll-style bread with the same walnut filling.  Was never much of a fan of those as a kid, but I now associate those treats with Christmas so it holds a special significance.

we call those "nut horns" (which looks weird as I type it, but that's the name)... a "nut roll" for us is a typical jelly roll-style bread with the same walnut filling.  Was never much of a fan of those as a kid, but I now associate those treats with Christmas so it holds a special significance.

Exactly!  That was another name I remember for those... the small, individual ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and kids got me an ice cream maker for Christmas this year. Made two bases last night for a NYE party -- a blueberry-limoncello sorbet and a super decadent vanilla bean custard. Holee Shiznit this is going to be a dangerous hobby...

Here's a great recipe for Ribolitta soup: Just made it last night

soak a 1/2 lb of dried beans overnight. (cannelini works)

Chopped mirepoix:

1 carrot

1 celery

1 onion

saute in olive oil until soft

add:

couple twigs of thyme

one can of peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes

2 diced large red potatoes

a couple bay leaves

cook for 5 minutes

add the beans and

chopped kale (1 bunch)

add 9 cups of water, salt to taste

bring to boil

cover and lower heat - simmer for two hours.

preheat oven to 350

In a dutch oven, add thick slices of a nice country-style italian or french bread - enough to cover the bottom of the dutch oven

Ladle the soup over the bread.

cover the dutch oven, put into the oven for 15 minutes.

garnish with olive oil and shredded parmesan.

YUM.

• 1 year later...

I feel like roasting a chicken this weekend. I remember at some point last year, Tinnitus Photography posted a description of his favorite roast chicken method. It sounded amazing. It's not in this thread, though! Can you re-post, TP?

until TP responds, this recipe makes an incredible roast chicken. You can leave out the french fries part...

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Roast-Chicken-Herbed-Fries

I feel like roasting a chicken this weekend. I remember at some point last year, Tinnitus Photography posted a description of his favorite roast chicken method. It sounded amazing. It's not in this thread, though! Can you re-post, TP?

sure...this is off memory:

preheat oven w/ roasting pan in it at 450F

take a half-stick of butter and leave it out so it softens. chop a few cloves of garlic, zest of one lemon, chopped thyme and rosemary. take a half dozen slices of prosciutto and tear into pieces. combine all that mess in a bowl.

take yr chicken, take out all that nasty shit they stuff inside of it, rinse it and pat dry.  salt and pepper the exterior. 

carefully separate the skin from the breast, and work your way down into the legs too. take your prosciutto/butter/deliciousness combo and jam gobs of into the bird, under the skin you just separated. all over. take the rest and spread over the skin. quarter your zested lemon and ram it to the cavity, along w/ some more garlic. you can tie the legs together w/ twine if you want to, but if you don't it's not a big deal either.

take the roasting pan out, and plop the bird breast side down on to the hot pan. it'll make a cool sound, but don't burn your wrists on the edges of the pan or you'll make a sound too.

let cook for ~20 min, then reduce to 350F, take the bird out and carefully pry it off the pan so the skin doesn't split, and flip to its back. cook until done (use a meat thermo because i have no idea how big a chicken you are using).

one thing you can do is to put chopped root veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, etc) into the pan when you take out the bird to flip it, and put the bird on top of them.  when the chicken's done, set aside to rest, put the veggies in a bowl, and make a gravy w/ white wine and a flour or cornstarch and cold water mix, along w/ the pan drippings.

sure...this is off memory:

preheat oven w/ roasting pan in it at 450F

take a half-stick of butter and leave it out so it softens. chop a few cloves of garlic, zest of one lemon, chopped thyme and rosemary. take a half dozen slices of prosciutto and tear into pieces. combine all that mess in a bowl.

take yr chicken, take out all that nasty shit they stuff inside of it, rinse it and pat dry.  salt and pepper the exterior. 

carefully separate the skin from the breast, and work your way down into the legs too. take your prosciutto/butter/deliciousness combo and jam gobs of into the bird, under the skin you just separated. all over. take the rest and spread over the skin. quarter your zested lemon and ram it to the cavity, along w/ some more garlic. you can tie the legs together w/ twine if you want to, but if you don't it's not a big deal either.

take the roasting pan out, and plop the bird breast side down on to the hot pan. it'll make a cool sound, but don't burn your wrists on the edges of the pan or you'll make a sound too.

let cook for ~20 min, then reduce to 350F, take the bird out and carefully pry it off the pan so the skin doesn't split, and flip to its back. cook until done (use a meat thermo because i have no idea how big a chicken you are using).

one thing you can do is to put chopped root veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, etc) into the pan when you take out the bird to flip it, and put the bird on top of them.  when the chicken's done, set aside to rest, put the veggies in a bowl, and make a gravy w/ white wine and a flour or cornstarch and cold water mix, along w/ the pan drippings.

I'll remember to look here for next time-- thanks! I ended up brining the bird with lemon, garlic and bay leaves, then roasting it according to Thomas Keller's easy method. It was moist, tender and delicious. Served with roasted carrots with onions and thyme. Just the thing for a chilly Florida evening!
  • 2 months later...