Jeff Tweedy 12/3/13 Kansas City, MO Uptown Theatre

Didn't go to this show, but curiosity and Google found me the setlist on this website/blog/thing: http://vocalsontop.com/2013/12/04/concert-review-jeff-tweedy-setlist-from-kansas-city-mo-12313/

Glad to see Chinese Apple getting some love!!!  Gives me hope for Santa Barbara...

And Radio Cure!!!!

• Solitaire
  • I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
  • Remember The Mountain Bed
  • Sunken Treasure
  • Long Time Ago (Golden Smog song)
  • Passenger Side
  • Dawned On Me
  • Radio Cure
  • Chinese Apple (Loose Fur song)
  • Kamera
  • One True Vine
  • Ruling Class (Loose Fur song)
  • You And I
  • Bob Dylan’s 49th Beard
  • Jesus Etc.
  • Born Alone
  • Not For The Season
  • New Madrid (Uncle Tupelo song)
  • California Stars
  • The Thanks I Get
  • Shot In The Arm
  • Acuff Rose (Uncle Tupelo song)

"Jay Bennett was my friend". 

Solid set. Jeff and his gorgeous guitars were in fine voice. Acuff Rose off mic was Jeff at his best.

And then there was this:

Later, when the name of the late Jay Bennett, a former bandmate, was invoked, Tweedy responded: “He was my friend. Was he your friend? ... He would have hated you.”

I'm curious as to what the context is for this comment? Looks like a great set, I can't wait for Denver. 

There was a jerk in the front row yelling requests, obscenities and absurdities after every song. He repeatedly asked Jeff to play a tribute to Jay Bennett and was yelling for "Secrets of the Sea." That's when Tweedy said "I don't think you know how a tribute works. I've got a whole list of songs here and there's not a tribute in the lot of them." And the guy fired back at Tweedy about the tribute again and challenged Tweedy's relationship with JB, which then caused the comment mentioned above.

Not gonna lie, it actually brought a little tear to my eye when he said "Jay Bennett was my friend."

SUPER impressed with Jeff Tweedy last night. Maybe it's partly 'cause he hasn't done a solo show for awhile, or even been on a stage in awhile, but he sounded fresh and in was in good spirits. He had a mostly-good-natured back and forth with a fan who kept shouting requests and who kept clapping too loudly during songs (Tweedy said, "like a spark in a microwave"). Long Time Ago was a great surprise. As was One True Vine, which Tweedy humbly said Staples woulda done better had she been there, but NO WAY do I believe that. He nailed it!

I could write more later, but the KC Star writer gives a very nice recap of the night:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/04/4668072/jeff-tweedy-gives-an-uptown-theater.html

It was my first solo show and it was awesome except for all the damn woohooers in the middle of songs. Especially during acuff rose which he did minus amplification. For us losers who were up in the balcony Jeff kept getting drowned out by dumbasses during that song. Definitely worth the 4 hour drive for me though!

My wife and I sat in the fourth row on the floor. Really close and terrific view. There were A LOT of people on their phones around us, either texting or shooting photos/videos. It was really distracting. I was waiting for Jeff to address those people but it never happened...maybe he's given up that battle. And there were a couple of really drunk people who got up and changed seats every few songs. They probably spent more time gettin up and walking across the row - making everyone in that row stand up so they could get by - than they did sitting and listening.

So I was definitely disappointed in my hometown crowd and their reception of the show, but nonetheless Jeff's voice and guitar playing were in top form. Everything sounded perfect. It ranks #2 all time in Tweedy solo shows for me.

I saw Wilco in Kansas City in 2002 - Tweedy didn't seem to enjoy the KC crowd that night either. I remember he made a comment that they don't play in Kansas City all that often and people began to boo or heckle and he said something like "That's why". It was a good show, though (despite the audience).

Last night's show looks great - never heard the Long Time Ago tune before

So, I'm going to the Salt Lake Concert on Friday, have an infant that will be left with family, but need to get in as late as possible so as to get back to the baby.  How long did the comedian last, and how long was the wait for Jeff to take the stage?  I'm so excited...

I sat near the back and didn't notice any cell phones or cameras at all. I was actually surprised how quiet the audience remained during the songs. One guy felt he had to clap…badly…during the first couple songs, but that stopped. Annoying when people have to yell out requests, but with Tweedy, it's actually quite entertaining to hear how he might respond. Tweedy, or any artist, can't expect a full theater of people to ALL be on perfect behavior. On The Thanks I Get the artist/audience interaction seemed genuinely fun. Honestly, it's the most relaxed that Tweedy has seemed to me in the MANY times I've seen him.

I too liked hearing Tweedy's line "Jay Bennett was my friend". Bennett was a big part of Wilco for a good stretch, and meant a lot to long-time Wilco fans. Jeff, rightly so, sang his own songs and said he wasn't there to perform tributes to other people. But the loudest ovation of the night came after the opening riffs of California Stars, which Bennett helped write.

Felt like I was seeing a gifted songwriter/performer on his 'A' game last night.  

Hoping the crowd didn't sour his feelings toward KC for future shows, solo or with the band. Wilco played the same venue two years ago to the date and put on an awesome show, and it was clear the band was enjoying it. They also played KC at the Crossroads in 2007 and 2009, so they seem to make a stop here whenever they're out supporting a new record.

For the guitar players -- Tweedy put a new spin on IATTBYH and played some funky bended notes and other little licks that I hadn't heard him do before. Really spiced the tune up.

The crowd was so rowdy during Acuff-Rose that he ended up walking back over to the middle of the stage, held his guitar up to the mic and repeated the last instrumental pickin' passage a few more times so everyone could hear.

So, I'm going to the Salt Lake Concert on Friday, have an infant that will be left with family, but need to get in as late as possible so as to get back to the baby.  How long did the comedian last, and how long was the wait for Jeff to take the stage?  I'm so excited...

The whole show was over at 10:40. Tweedy came on at right about 9:00. Comedian probably came on a little after 8:00 maybe.

I sat near the back and didn't notice any cell phones or cameras at all. I was actually surprised how quiet the audience remained during the songs. One guy felt he had to clap…badly…during the first couple songs, but that stopped. Annoying when people have to yell out requests, but with Tweedy, it's actually quite entertaining to hear how he might respond. Tweedy, or any artist, can't expect a full theater of people to ALL be on perfect behavior. On The Thanks I Get the artist/audience interaction seemed genuinely fun. Honestly, it's the most relaxed that Tweedy has seemed to me in the MANY times I've seen him.

I too liked hearing Tweedy's line "Jay Bennett was my friend". Bennett was a big part of Wilco for a good stretch, and meant a lot to long-time Wilco fans. Jeff, rightly so, sang his own songs and said he wasn't there to perform tributes to other people. But the loudest ovation of the night came after the opening riffs of California Stars, which Bennett helped write.

Felt like I was seeing a gifted songwriter/performer on his 'A' game last night.

Lucky you! There were at least a half dozen people around us who literally were using their phones during every song. One woman was using the flash on her camera phone in the second row and you could tell it was irritating Jeff, but ever the consummate performer, he just maintained a humorous rapport.

The comedian was actually pretty funny! He did his gig for about 45 minutes and changeover into Tweedy was about 15-20 minutes. Jeff didn't have the half-circle of guitars this time. Kept them all offstage and he'd swap them out with the tech as needed. He just had a table with some extra picks (though he almost played exclusively with his thumb), his harmonicas and one guitar stand.

For the guitar players -- Tweedy put a new spin on IATTBYH and played some funky bended notes and other little licks that I hadn't heard him do before. Really spiced the tune up.

\

At the living room show i attended this year a friend of mine from Dallas, who was also there and is a rather accomplished guitar player in his own right. Played that tune with Jeff and really offered a cool spin on the tune with some of his riffs. Jeff shot him a few cool looks during their performance. I would love to hear this version to see if there was any influence from that evening. 

Jeff did a great job, and my husband and I very much enjoyed the show.  

However, I truly do not understand it when people get so shit-faced drunk at concerts that they cannot even maintain their composure enough to be polite to the other people around them.  There was so much shouting, talking (just casual conversation!!  Really??), and texting going on during this show.  I was really hoping that security was going to throw out California Stars Girl.  She never closed her mouth once during the entire show!  I was embarrassed for Kansas City.  We drove from Wichita for this show, and I know others drove farther than that.  

My husband and I were SUPER happy to finally hear I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.  Radio Cure was excellent as well.

Another fun fact from the night. Jeff secretly wants to be david lee roth. I enjoyed that topic of banter. My wife was with me and she's not the biggest wilco fan but she totally agreed with Jeff in that she hates people who have fun all the time.

Not gonna lie, it actually brought a little tear to my eye when he said "Jay Bennett was my friend."

This is why I appreciate hecklers more than interviewers. The statement was so unguarded and poignant, it brought tears to my eyes also.

Tweedy solo shows are enjoyable for his guitar mastery, since his style often gets lost in the larger band context. His playing seemed especially flourish-y last night, and I was really digging it.

As to venue and drunks, yellers and phone abusers; Haven't been able to figure out why Tweedy/Wilco continues to play the Uptown, especially when there are a couple of wonderful mid-sized venues in/around KC that would be far better suited to this kind of seated show. I can't stand the venue myself, and last night the carpet smelled vaguely of piss where I was sitting. For such a beautiful piece of architecture, it attracts more than a fair share of knuckleheads, and the management and crowd control seem particularly soulless. Had it not been Tweedy I would never have attended another show there.

Ultimately though I'm just glad he keeps bringing his show to town.