Tweedy Nominated for Producer of the Year Grammy

I enjoyed Taylor Swift's performance.  People who pile on her make no sense to me.  She's a young woman who writes real songs and plays multiple instruments, and she's gotten her fame through her talent, rather than flopping around like a whore.  Kudos to her.

I though Beyonce's opening was good--she looks amazing.  

So okay, as a show it is pretty good. I agree about Taylor Swift who is growing up before our eyes. The boogieing Daft Punk was fine as were the old country singers. Pink was stupid. Carole King segment was good.

Just like with the Oscars, you go in with low expectations and get to be pleased when the show doesn't totally suck. I just wish they gave more attention to actual music and less flash, but that is just me.

louieB

I guess the more cynical can't embrace this but what I enjoyed the most was seeing all these "celebrities" just boogieing down in the crowd.  Those people were digging the music, they were being fans--and that's something they probably rarely get to do like that... to just sit in an audience and enjoy live music.

I agree with that. I kept thinking how the people in the audience were used to being on the stage watching US dancing around, bobbing our heads, clapping out of time, having spontaneous bursts of enthusiasm, etc. It must be nice for them to have those positions reversed. I particularly thought Yoko had some sweet moves. And I really enjoyed watching some of the younger or more alternative performers singing along with Okie From Muskogee. Hilarious!

I enjoy the Grammys for the spectacle of it, though few of my favorites were nominated and none actually won.  The pre-televised awards presentations were available online, and that show was a blast!  Cyndi Lauper hosted in the most endearing, error-prone, scatterbrained way.  A hot mess in the most entertaining fashion. There were a few very diverse killer performances too -- the classical choral group Roomful of Teeth were otherworldly.  The winners of the Americana, folk, and alternative categories were pretty much who you would guess (the oldest/most famous seemed to win each one).  

In the televised broadcast, I enjoyed far more of the performances than I remember liking in recent years.  The huge lip-synched choreographed production numbers are a scourge, and they seemed to keep that mostly to a minimum.  I thought the Daft Punk jam was so much fun (I'm a total sucker for Stevie Wonder).  Hadn't heard much Kasey Musgraves before, but really liked her quirky tune, which is pretty radical for mainstream country these days.  As a fan of Gary Clark Jr. I thought his usually stellar guitar work was kind of buried in that Keith Urban duet.  Not a fan of Katy Perry, and thought her performance was laughably bad, even lip-synched.  But even the things that aren't really my cup of tea, I enjoyed hearing as part of the variety.  

What does Daft Punk do, exactly?  Seemed to me like Stevie, NIle, and the rest of the gang had that performance covered and Daft Punk were just window dressing who might as well have stayed in their seats.

Soooo....everyone noticed Ringo's drumming getting way off the backing track.  Like: what you're hearing is not what you're seeing.  Sad and lame.

Yes, and you could occasionally catch a glimpse of the "other" drummer (I assume Paul's regular guy) in the dark next to him.  It was kinda sad.  

What does Daft Punk do, exactly?  Seemed to me like Stevie, NIle, and the rest of the gang had that performance covered and Daft Punk were just window dressing who might as well have stayed in their seats.

I don't know exactly what they did in there, but their standard performance is largely the two of them in a booth-like deal, alone. This album has so much real instrumentation and that's a departure for them (they're songwriters and producers first, not players) - hopefully their future tours might be like what we saw last night. It made for a great show I thought, even though it leads to confusion about their roles.

SO Paul Williams actually produced the entire Daft Punk album?? Has he produced much in the past?? I saw some flick on IFC or something about how he was finally clean and sober but nothing about all that!

He looked ageless and Evergreen!

I don't know exactly what they did in there, but their standard performance is largely the two of them in a booth-like deal, alone. This album has so much real instrumentation and that's a departure for them (they're songwriters and producers first, not players) - hopefully their future tours might be like what we saw last night. It made for a great show I thought, even though it leads to confusion about their roles.

I thought the '70s era studio was great stage design.

The performance by Imagine Dragons and Kendrick Lamar was balls-out.  I don't think I'd go see either act but no one can claim they weren't giving that performance 100%.

when they all started banging drums, a friend of mine called them "White Man Group"

they are the French version of The Residents, only in pop format.