Tweedy Nominated for Producer of the Year Grammy

Guest Don Draper

Wow, this is great.

So, I listened to Wilco and Mavis's One True Vine today.  Any idea why she didn't opt for the minor chord? ("life had ceased...")

That's a dumb question.  Of course you don't know.  But it's better, right, the minor chord?  Weird that she didn't do that.

I'll bet this nomination is very encouraging for Jeff. He's pretty new in the role of producer, and it's a diverse category, so this seems like a significant nod. Here's one review of Mavis's album, from a Best of 2013 list. I particularly like this excerpt:  

Tweedy is something of a sonic sculptor in his day job and thus understands the importance of letting things breathe. ‘One True Vine’ is starkly beautiful, beautifully warm and warmly delivered. . . 

http://justplayed.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/best-of-2013-20-mavis-staples-one-true-vine/

• 1 month later...

Looks like Jeff is at the Grammys. Good luck dude!

Edit: Lost to Pharrell Williams. Cheesy statement, but it should be honor to have been nomimated I think. Great company.

Yep. Damn. And Mavis lost to Rodney Crowell and Emmylou. I haven't heard that one but, again, probably a worthy competitor.

Both Cass McCombs and Andrew Bird are well known to be rather introverted. I just don't see either of them having any interest on someone else's guidance.

Also, Tweedy didn't win, which was to be expected really. Compared to the other producers on that list, he's small potatoes.

the best part of the Grammys last night was Noviselic interjecting over Grohl to include The Stones and Sabbath to his Beatles inspiration.

of the performances...well, it's not really my thing but John Legend did a fine job. i thought the Carole King/Sara Bareilles (sp?) was the best of the night, both looked to be having a lot of fun. Willie et al was good, but Kris Kristoffersen looked lost and was playing guitar like Peter Gammons (any Boston-area people who have been to a Hot Stove/Cool Music event will know what i'm talking about).

i went to bed before Metallica played.

I didn't even watch them. I guess I'm kinda glad that Daft Punk won, just because that album isn't your typical "pop" album. Was hoping Vampire Weekend would have been nominated for album of the year, but I guess they will have to be satisfied with their Alternative Album of the year grammy.

Saw Tweedy in the audience when they were recognizing the teacher of the year. He stood up to give him a standing O (oh oh).

I missed that but I have the show DVR'd. Do you know approximately when they did that? Like between which performers or categories?

Probably within the last 45 minutes of the show. If you are fast forwarding, the teacher was recognized by the President of the Academy (who was on stage with Ryan Seacrest and I think John Legend). The teacher had a huge beard - Kris Noveselic style. Jeff is a couple rows behind the teacher.

Hey Jeff can now add to his resume that Gloria Estefan said his name from the Grammy podium!

BTW what a waste the McCartney/Starr performance was. Paul didn't join Ringo but Ringo joined Paul for Queenie Eye..what a poor choice. Ringo looked good but sounded bad in my opinion.

Also, Pink enough with the acrobatics. Don't even try to pretend to sing with that nonsense going on.

Willie et al was good, but Kris Kristoffersen looked lost and was playing guitar like Peter Gammons (any Boston-area people who have been to a Hot Stove/Cool Music event will know what i'm talking about).

Ha!  Didn't watch the Grammys but I know exactly what you mean.

Yep. Damn. And Mavis lost to Rodney Crowell and Emmylou. I haven't heard that one but, again, probably a worthy competitor.

It was . For a couple vets, Rodney and Emmylou did a pretty good job. It was not either of their finest work however, but then again Mavis is not at the top of her career anymore, so it is pretty much a wash for these old timers.

I watched much of the show. It was pretty much crap all the way through. I missed the first 45 minutes because I forgot it was on.

There was no way Jeff was going to win, but it was sure cool he was included. Clearly this was Pharrell Williams year. And hey...how come no one told me I missed the Sarah Guthrie CD? It came out months ago and I completely missed it. There are already used and cheap new copies on Amazon though, so I have one coming.

LouieB

i thought that was the best Grammys show I've seen in ages.  Lots of artists being fans of music. 

a lot of it was not my cup of tea but there were a lot of people putting on some real performances.  We DVRd it, because I wanted to see Daft Punk and McCartney, thought I'd fast forward through the meh.

I though Beyonce's opening was good--she looks amazing.  

The performance by Imagine Dragons and Kendrick Lamar was balls-out.  I don't think I'd go see either act but no one can claim they weren't giving that performance 100%.

I enjoyed Taylor Swift's performance.  People who pile on her make no sense to me.  She's a young woman who writes real songs and plays multiple instruments, and she's gotten her fame through her talent, rather than flopping around like a whore.  Kudos to her.

The Daft Punk thing was a blast.

The Metallica thing made me sad.  They need to move on.

The multiple weddings thing was a pretty cool moment.  People can criticize the nuts and bolts of it, but a national network had the balls to show gay marriage ceremonies in prime time.  I'll take it.  Damn good start.

Buckingham and Reznor was awesome, as were Josh Homme and Grohl.  

I dug the Kacey Musgraves tune, and also thought the Carole King/Sara Bareilles duet was impressive.

I guess the more cynical can't embrace this but what I enjoyed the most was seeing all these "celebrities" just boogieing down in the crowd.  Those people were digging the music, they were being fans--and that's something they probably rarely get to do like that... to just sit in an audience and enjoy live music.