haha believe it or not IRDB is/was an Eric Cantor constituent

you know im starting to wonder what someone/anyone is gonna do about these public shootings.

I mean god damn how many times are we supposed to look the other way??

You have obviously read this forum right, any time a shooting is brought up it devolves into a shouting match.  It is an unfortunate thing that the gun rights lobby and the NRA have worn down the American people to just accept these shootings as a part of daily life.  We live in a sad state of affairs.  

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone out on a limb here to state that I'm not particularly devoted to the current extent of my 2nd amendment rights, and that I'd be willing to limit them severely in exchange for the mere probability of reducing some homicides, but I recognize that there is something more than access to firearms going on in this country.  

I think what's hard is identifying that "thing" before even attempting to treat it.  It's not the cheap scapegoats of violent music or video games, it's not some lack of religion.  It's something more nebulous, but still cultural.  All I can detect is it has something to do with the American individual's concepts of entitlement on one hand, and a trend towards isolation, alienation and ostracism on the other.  Sometimes I feel like a consumerist trend in our culture has brainwashed many to be obsessed with their individuality (including wealth, notoriety, and sex appeal)- an insurmountable set of goals.  While the proverbial rat race has gained a certain social-media bling to it, the individuals in the race feel left out and cheated.

I think the Seattle shooter's profile communicated this clearly.

If any of that is true, I'm not sure how you combat it in a preventative way.  I suppose the experts suggest people in families and work places be more alert to warning signs that someone is going off their rocker.  I guess the situations are a perfect storm of three factors: individual tendency for sociopathic behavior, cultural factors, and access to firearms.

Sorry, I'm musing here.  Is any of this political?

I've gone out on a limb here to state that I'm not particularly devoted to the current extent of my 2nd amendment rights, and that I'd be willing to limit them severely in exchange for the mere probability of reducing some homicides, but I recognize that there is something more than access to firearms going on in this country.  

I think what's hard is identifying that "thing" before even attempting to treat it.  It's not the cheap scapegoats of violent music or video games, it's not some lack of religion.  It's something more nebulous, but still cultural.  All I can detect is it has something to do with the American individual's concepts of entitlement on one hand, and a trend towards isolation, alienation and ostracism on the other.  Sometimes I feel like a consumerist trend in our culture has brainwashed many to be obsessed with their individuality (including wealth, notoriety, and sex appeal)- an insurmountable set of goals.  While the proverbial rat race has gained a certain social-media bling to it, the individuals in the race feel left out and cheated.

I think the Seattle shooter's profile communicated this clearly.

If any of that is true, I'm not sure how you combat it in a preventative way.  I suppose the experts suggest people in families and work places be more alert to warning signs that someone is going off their rocker.  I guess the situations are a perfect storm of three factors: individual tendency for sociopathic behavior, cultural factors, and access to firearms.

Sorry, I'm musing here.  Is any of this political?

I think the President put it pretty clearly when he said this:

"The United States does not have a monopoly on crazy people. It's not the only country that has psychosis," he said. "And yet we kill each other in these mass shootings at rates that are exponentially higher than any place else. Well, what's the difference? The difference is that these guys can stack up a bunch of ammunition in their houses and that's sort of par for the course."

Mental health is a huge issue and one that needs to be dealt with as part of the problem.  However other countries don't seem to have this issue.  Yes they have shootings and mass shootings, but not on the level as we do in the US.  

Again nothing is being done, nothing will be done.  The left will say we should limit guns, the right will say you are limiting our freedom.  We will shout about it for a couple of days, then another mass shooting.  Then the cycle will start up again.  

I saw this news story and felt a huge sadness in my heart.  http://www.cnet.com/news/bulletproof-bodyguard-blanket-designed-to-shield-schoolkids/.  What does this say about our society that this is how we are dealing with gun violence?  

Kurtz: We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig... cow after cow... village after village... army after army...

I'm gonna agree with Kurtz.

So let's see....I guess we are well into the second decade of the US of A's 100 year war with the Muslims.

LouieB

But we are getting help from Iran apparently.  This ain't gonna end well.  

Right or wrong, lil' George and America kicked this hornets nest. So is our responsibility to Iraq and the world that the USA not allow Iraq to turn into a full fledged terrorist nation (with oil fields!). I say this as someone who protested the invasion in 2003 and was steadfastly against our involvement there the entire time we had troops in the field. On the homefront, when will war crime charges be brought up against Bush and his cabal?

it is more apparent than ever that if left alone by the West, muslims would peacefully co-exist pursuant to the deeply-held tenants of their faith.

it is more apparent than ever that if left alone by the West, muslims would peacefully co-exist pursuant to the deeply-held tenants of their faith.

apparently the Iraqis cannot self govern, so why don't we just keep troops there permanently?  Hell let's just skip it all together and make Iraq the 51st state!

apparently the Iraqis cannot self govern, so why don't we just keep troops there permanently? Hell let's just skip it all together and make Iraq the 51st state!

I don't think either of those ideas is feasible

I figured your statement "it is more apparent than ever that if left alone by the West, muslims would peacefully co-exist pursuant to the deeply-held tenants of their faith." was sarcasm like mine.  Maybe I was mistaken?  stupid internet and its non sarcasm indicator.  

Quite frankly, the first one is.  Just look at Korea, Japan, Germany, etc.  Not ideal, but feasible.  

From what I can gather, this ISIS group is nearly as well organized, led, and funded as Al Qaeda.  Going after these terrorist groups seems about as effective asplaying whack-a-mole.  Not sure what the short-term answer is, but I remain convinced that a major part of the long-term answer is energy independence.  Saudis and other wealthy Arabs seem to pump money into whatever new group crops up.  Dry up their major source of wealth and our need to support regimes that our diametrically opposed to our values, dry up both the means and motivation to kill us. 

Quite frankly, the first one is.  Just look at Korea, Japan, Germany, etc.  Not ideal, but feasible.  

From what I can gather, this ISIS group is nearly as well organized, led, and funded as Al Qaeda.  Going after these terrorist groups seems about as effective asplaying whack-a-mole.  Not sure what the short-term answer is, but I remain convinced that a major part of the long-term answer is energy independence.  Saudis and other wealthy Arabs seem to pump money into whatever new group crops up.  Dry up their major source of wealth and our need to support regimes that our diametrically opposed to our values, dry up both the means and motivation to kill us. 

Well if they are anything like this ISIS

isis_badge__sterling_archer_by_pinkfizzy

They aren't well organized.  

Read between the lines. He is not exactly saying that.

LouieB

Did you watch the video?

He unequivocally states that we were wrong to think we could democratize the Iraqi people, that we shouldn't have started the war there, and that the liberals who believed such things were absolutely right.

Did you watch the video?

He unequivocally states that we were wrong to think we could democratize the Iraqi people, that we shouldn't have started the war there, and that the liberals who believed such things were absolutely right.

Who cares what Glenn Beck thinks?  He is a reactionary blowhard.  And really worthless and offers no sane discourse to any subject.    

What we should be talking about is another reactionary blowhard, former Vice President Dick Cheney and his op-ed.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/dick-cheney-and-liz-cheney-the-collapsing-obama-doctrine-1403046522 

The gall of this guy, a man who lied to the American people to get us into a war.  I mean Jesus Christ, how the fuck does he sleep at night?  

I did not watch the video, but I did read the transcript.  He says liberals were right that we should not try and bring democracy to  people who don't want it. That was NOT what liberals thought.   What I think he is saying is that Iraq's are simply too backward and primitive to understand what we were offering them.  This is called a backhanded compliment (to liberals) which is you were right, but not for tor the reason you think.  He isn't saying it was wrong to have gone in and started this fucking war for the reasons the Bush/Cheney administrated stated, he is saying the left was right because the Iraq's just don't get it.  When he gets on the air and says Bush and Cheney were stupid motherfuckers who should not have started a war on fabricated information and killed hundreds of thousands of people and several thousand Americans and created a huge debt, yea, then I will believe he thinks the "liberals" were right. 

LouieB

Who cares what Glenn Beck thinks?   

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm thinking the Via Chicago member who posted a link to what Glenn Beck said.