Fake Fur Coat

Very nice.  My expectations for this record have been steadily rising with each leaked single.

Yep. that means our man Tweedy is doing his job. :guitar

And so is the PR department. This is a good strategy, I think, to encourage pre-orders and whet our appetites for what's to come.

And so is the PR department. This is a good strategy, I think, to encourage pre-orders and whet our appetites for what's to come.

It may be a good strategy to encourage pre-orders, but I'm not crazy about it from an artistic standpoint. I still like the excitement of getting a brand new CD (or download) and listening to the whole thing "cold," not knowing what to expect from the next song. This kind of obliterates that option. Just imagine if you got Sgt. Pepper's by downloading "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" one Monday, then "She's Leaving Home" the next Monday. Kind of strange.

There's also a slightly annoying factor to reading stuff like "Tweedy’s Diamond Light - Part 1 is free with Sukierae album pre-order" on the Wilco Facebook page. (Well, no, you're not getting anything free, you're just getting downloads of those songs earlier than people who don't pre-order, no? Unless Diamond Light - Part 1 is not the same thing as the Diamond Light track on the CD).

Anyway, it's all a bit confusing to me, and I may break down and pre-order this at the last minute, but I don't really want to hear all these random tracks out of sequence before it comes out. I'll listen to them once just to check them out (I can't resist that), but I have actually even resisted the live versions circulating. I respect Jeff's artistic integrity enough that I feel like I should try to experience this project in its entirety without knowing any of the songs beforehand. I guess I'm weird like that.

I respect Jeff's artistic integrity enough that I feel like I should try to experience this project in its entirety without knowing any of the songs beforehand. 

Are you saying Jeff's management doesn't respect his integrity (as much as you)? I don't get the impression he cares. This based on the actions the band is taking (releasing a track a week) and my extremely short conversation with Jeff about what I had heard so far.

Are you saying Jeff's management doesn't respect his integrity (as much as you)? I don't get the impression he cares. This based on the actions the band is taking (releasing a track a week) and my extremely short conversation with Jeff about what I had heard so far.

No, no, not at all. I just figure he is thoughtful about sequencing, and for me, personally, it will be nice to hear the album as a whole without really knowing some of the tracks in advance. And you're right, I doubt he cares that much what is released when.

This is a great song - perhaps my favorite of the tunes I've heard so far from pre-release/live recordings. This recorded version sounds like it could be from Mermaid Avenue era Wilco. I really dig the production on this track - especially the delay effect on the vocals.