TWEEDY - 9/27/2014 - Calvin Theater (Northampton, MA)

Jeff called this one a tough night, which, about 1hr 30min into the show. it most definitely became.  Like last night, much of the banter came at the expense of clappers (at one point he challenged then to try to derail his performance with their off clapping.  They tried, they failed.)

An amusing story involved Jeff getting scolded by a Northhampton do-gooder for idling the tour buses.  He was told he could look up the regulations, which he did, and concluded they were legally in the right since they needed the bus's power to "run his dialysis machine...and football squares."  It was clearly in jest, but this incensed a member of the audience who yelled out something about the environment not being a joke and scolding him for saying 'the environment would just have to take a hit.'  Anyway, the heckler seemed to infuriate Jeff, who pointed out he was joking, and told her to "Sit the f(*k down.  After a few more songs, though, he seemed to get more upset than angry.  The exchange came up in between every song until the show ended.  

Lots of variation from last night's show, which I also attended.  A live debut (?) of Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood, The work in progress is back (Why, Why, Why), as were:  Born Alone, Give Back the Keys, Hesitating Beauty, Not for the Season, Radio King, Please Tell My Brother, Passenger Side, 

that's unfortunate.

i hope the concert was enjoyable overall - jeepers, on a Saturday night at a rock n roll show, people should always remember to bring:

- their tickets

- a sense of humor.

For posterity and such, the complete setlist as played:

Nobody Dies Anymore

Honey Combed

Flowering

Summer Noon

World Away

New Moon

High As Hello

Desert Bell

new song-Why Why Why

Love Like A Wire [Diane Izzo]

Wait For Love

Low Key

Fake Fur Coat

Diamond Light, Pt. 1

I Am Trying Break Your Heart*

Radio King*

Please Tell My Brother*

Hesitating Beauty*

New Madrid*

Born Alone*

Jesus, etc.*

Passenger Side* (started and restarted)

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)*

I'm The Man Who Loves You*

----------------------------------------

Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood (live debut)

Only The Lord Knows

You Are Not Alone

Give Back The Key To My Heart [Doug Sahm]

California Stars

* — Jeff solo acoustic

The brilliant Laminated Cat that came right after the tense exchange definitely benefitted from Jeff's anger.  

that's unfortunate.

i hope the concert was enjoyable overall - jeepers, on a Saturday night at a rock n roll show, people should always remember to bring:

- their tickets

- a sense of humor.

That's funny, because after a while, that's essentially what he said, that we are all on the same team, and if you can't bring your sense of humor, don't bother coming out.

The show was very enjoyable.  I've seen the new TWEEDY 3 times and the latest was by far the best.

- their tickets
- a sense of humor.

The show absolutely killed.  And as RJ pointed out, everything got played a bit more intensely after the incident.  'Don't Let Me Be So Understood' had teeth, despite the fact that they were playing it with sheet music and Jeff was reading the lyrics from a page.  The twit in the audience--and in the lobby after the show I overheard a group of her friends describing her as just that--is not alone.  At nearly every show I've been to in the last 10 years there's someone who thinks buying the ticket makes them a participant in the show, and not a spectator of it.  Audience involvement is fine, when it's asked for/encouraged.  

Jeff was clearly thrown by it--he went back to the topic after at least five songs--but not enough to hurt his playing.  

If yelling at a rock singer in the middle of a concert is where you place your environmental activism..... you don't know where to place your environmental activism.  That's the kind of self-righteous shit that is responsible for zero progress and gives the green movement a HORRIBLE name.

On a brighter topic, I'm surprised they're already playing a new song.  If they keep this up Tweedy will end up recording again with a bunch of people not named Tweedy.

I wonder when they'll take a live crack at "I'll Sing It".

this incensed a member of the audience who yelled out something about the environment not being a joke and scolding him for saying 'the environment would just have to take a hit.'

That person has to be a member of Via Chicago. Identify yourself.

OK so the set list here indicates not only the title of the work in progress song "Why Why Why", but also that there was a live premiere of "Please Don't Let Me Be So Misunderstood" as well!! That leaves only "I'll Sing It", "I'll Never Know" & "Pigeons" as having not been played live (joining "Sunloathe" from "The Whole Love"- still not played by Wilco...he has done it solo acoustic)...
https://www.facebook.com/wilcohq/photos/a.127996970420.136900.8290410420/10152739084605421/?type=1&theater

Tweedy
September 27, 2014
Northampton, MA | Calvin Theatre

01 - Nobody Dies Anymore
02 - Honey Combed
03 - Flowering
04 - Summer Noon
05 - World Away
06 - New Moon
07 - High As Hello
08 - Desert Bell
09 - Why Why Why
10 - Love Like a Wire (Diane Izzo cover)
11 - Wait For Love
12 - Low Key
13 - Fake Fur Coat
14 - Diamond Light Pt. 1
15 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
16 - Radio King [Golden Smog]
17 - Please Tell My Brother
18 - Hesitating Beauty
19 - New Madrid [uncle Tupelo]
20 - Born Alone
21 - Jesus, Etc.
22 - Passenger Side
23 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)
24 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore:
25 - Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood
26 - Only The Lord Knows (Mavis Staples cover)
27 - You Are Not Alone
28 - Give Back The Key To My Heart (Doug Sahm cover)
29 - California Stars

That person has to be a member of Via Chicago. Identify yourself.

Ha! Considering the overwhelmingly negative reactions, I seriously doubt that's going to happen. 

I've been known to go a little bananas but I don't have the guts to do this. And for the record, I was not at this show.  :whew  

Hey notary (or mods, if you can)...you might want to change the date to 9/27 on the thread title. It may save some confusion in the future.

Thanks for catching that, bbop.  Made the original post at 1:30 in the morning.  When I went back to it the next morning, it was like someone else had written it...

For those of you that have heard "why, why, why" - do you think it's going to end up a Wilco song? A TWEEDY song?

Having heard it twice, I'd say it would have fit nicely on a few Wilco records; easily on The Whole Love.  I've taped the Northampton show, but haven't had a chance to preview how the recording came out (given my seat I don't have high hopes).  If it's passable, I will get the show up soon.  If it's not...I'll get that song out there at the very least.  

For those of you that have heard "why, why, why" - do you think it's going to end up a Wilco song? A TWEEDY song?

Caught it in Boston Liked it a Lot !

Hope it comes out faster than the next Tweedy album so IDE vote for Wilco