I work in Cambridge ("Our Fair City") and I used to see both of them regularly in Harvard Square.  They would sit outside this coffee place with their friends and it sounded just like their show.  You could hear them laughing from half a block away. 

I also used to live a few houses away from Tom.  There were often interesting cars in is driveway.  Once his dog got out of his house, ran into my building, in to my apartment, and onto my bed (while I was still in it).  A couple of years ago I was standing next to him at the coffee place and told him that story.  I know that getting him to laugh was not that hard but he totally cackled when I told him that story and I sort of felt like I was on the show.    

I work in Cambridge ("Our Fair City") and I used to see both of them regularly in Harvard Square.  They would sit outside this coffee place with their friends and it sounded just like their show.  You could hear them laughing from half a block away. 

I also used to live a few houses away from Tom.  There were often interesting cars in is driveway.  Once his dog got out of his house, ran into my building, in to my apartment, and onto my bed (while I was still in it).  A couple of years ago I was standing next to him at the coffee place and told him that story.  I know that getting him to laugh was not that hard but he totally cackled when I told him that story and I sort of felt like I was on the show.    

Great story!

My wife and I enjoyed Car Talk for many years. Since Tom and Ray clearly loved the show, it always seemed strange that they stopped recording new ones back in 2012. Now we know that it wasn't exactly voluntary. If we would all, like Tom, "just slow down and enjoy life", we'd be a happier, healthier society.

Fresh Air did a terrific tribute show today, including an interview they did with Terry Gross in 2001. Plus a live interview with "esteemed producer" Doug Berman. It was touching and also funny as hell. Those guys really knew how to live, and there was apparently very little difference between their on air personas and who they were in real life.

Fresh Air did a terrific tribute show today, including an interview they did with Terry Gross in 2001. Plus a live interview with "esteemed producer" Doug Berman. It was touching and also funny as hell. Those guys really knew how to live, and there was apparently very little difference between their on air personas and who they were in real life.

Caught the last half the show --- the Berman interview was great, esp the bit about the brothers proposed speaking engagement at a Microsoft event.