What is your New Years Eve Activity ?

Pretty low key for me. I'm just glad this year's over, as it's been a particularly brutal one. On the same day in early March, I found my dad unconscious on the floor and my aunt suddenly died (which really messed up my mom). My dad was ultimately diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's Disease. I lost my job in late-July when my employer discovered (through no fault of my own) that I was planning to move to Chicago once I obtained a professional license in Illinois.  Throughout the summer I commuted three hours each day to and from work so that I could help my family with their house, yard, dog, etc. during my dad's illness. And one of my good friends from college died in November from complications due to advanced melanoma. It's been a dark, lonely, sad year; and I'm just glad to have gotten through it. Sorry to be such a downer. I know nobody wants to read such negativity. But that's the year I've had.

Pretty low key for me. I'm just glad this year's over, as it's been a particularly brutal one. On the same day in early March, I found my dad unconscious on the floor and my aunt suddenly died (which really messed up my mom). My dad was ultimately diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's Disease. I lost my job in late-July when my employer discovered (through no fault of my own) that I was planning to move to Chicago once I obtained a professional license in Illinois. Throughout the summer I commuted three hours each day to and from work so that I could help my family with their house, yard, dog, etc. during my dad's illness. And one of my good friends from college died in November from complications due to advanced melanoma. It's been a dark, lonely, sad year; and I'm just glad to have gotten through it. Sorry to be such a downer. I know nobody wants to read such negativity. But that's the year I've had.

No problem sharing,glad you did!

As tough as it was to read particularly about your Dad... It's easy to notice that you are a thoughtful person to your parents, and that was a good thing in 14 and will be in 15.

Here's a good strong wish for a brighter year ahead for you!

Pretty low key for me. I'm just glad this year's over, as it's been a particularly brutal one. On the same day in early March, I found my dad unconscious on the floor and my aunt suddenly died (which really messed up my mom). My dad was ultimately diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's Disease. I lost my job in late-July when my employer discovered (through no fault of my own) that I was planning to move to Chicago once I obtained a professional license in Illinois. Throughout the summer I commuted three hours each day to and from work so that I could help my family with their house, yard, dog, etc. during my dad's illness. And one of my good friends from college died in November from complications due to advanced melanoma. It's been a dark, lonely, sad year; and I'm just glad to have gotten through it. Sorry to be such a downer. I know nobody wants to read such negativity. But that's the year I've had.

Damn, that is a rough year. I lost an old friend & bandmate too. Drank himself to death just shy of 40.

Here's hoping 2015 treats you & your family better. Best wishes.

Pretty low key for me. I'm just glad this year's over, as it's been a particularly brutal one. On the same day in early March, I found my dad unconscious on the floor and my aunt suddenly died (which really messed up my mom). My dad was ultimately diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's Disease. I lost my job in late-July when my employer discovered (through no fault of my own) that I was planning to move to Chicago once I obtained a professional license in Illinois.  Throughout the summer I commuted three hours each day to and from work so that I could help my family with their house, yard, dog, etc. during my dad's illness. And one of my good friends from college died in November from complications due to advanced melanoma. It's been a dark, lonely, sad year; and I'm just glad to have gotten through it. Sorry to be such a downer. I know nobody wants to read such negativity. But that's the year I've had.

That is a tough year. I hope 2015 is as upbeat for you as this one was a downer.

My Dad died in June, so I took my family over to my Mom's house tonight to celebrate the New Year (albeit several hours early). It is her first holiday season without my Dad since they met in 1954. I was blessed to be able to spend the evening with her. Now we are back at home, and my wife and I are going to finish watching The Grand Budapest Hotel, then ring in the New Year with our two younger children (the older two are spending the night with friends).

Happy New Year, everyone!

Pretty low key for me. I'm just glad this year's over, as it's been a particularly brutal one. 

Dang, that sounds like the year I had 3 years ago, in 2011: developed tinnitus in February, my wife of nearly 10 years left me in August, and then it really got fun. I broke my ankle, had an AC leak in my downstairs ceiling, had a plumbing leak in my downstairs ceiling, then had to have a major surgery called a parotidectomy, leaving me with a large, ugly scar on my neck. (Don't Google it if you are squeamish). That year would have been like a bad comedy if it were a movie, and I was wishing it was just about anybody else's life but mine. The good news is that these things are cyclical, just like anything else in life, and you will come out the other side of it all. Things will get good again, and you'll likely have a much, much better year in 2015.

Spending mine with my wife - yes, I even got remarried in 2014 - and some other folks. Happy New Year, all.

I know nobody wants to read such negativity. But that's the year I've had.

Thanks for sharing, BT.  One of the great things about this place is that we do care about each other, and that means we do want to read about such things if someone feels the need to share.  Nine years ago my brother was killed in a car crash days before Thanksgiving, and VC's outpouring of support--both emotional and financial--was overwhelming.  My family has never forgotten it.  (In fact, it came up again last night when we had family over for New Year's, and spent a few minutes watching several songs from the recent Tweedy Austin City Limits.)  Mr. Heartbreak is right, of course, in pointing out that tough times are cyclical; here's to hoping that 2015 brings a new, brighter cycle for you.

Thanks for sharing, BT.  One of the great things about this place is that we do care about each other, and that means we do want to read about such things if someone feels the need to share.  Nine years ago my brother was killed in a car crash days before Thanksgiving, and VC's outpouring of support--both emotional and financial--was overwhelming.  My family has never forgotten it.  (In fact, it came up again last night when we had family over for New Year's, and spent a few minutes watching several songs from the recent Tweedy Austin City Limits.)  Mr. Heartbreak is right, of course, in pointing out that tough times are cyclical; here's to hoping that 2015 brings a new, brighter cycle for you.

I admit it was difficult to put that out there, but it was a huge relief after I did. I've always believed that one can never have too many friends, so if I can make a few here that would be nice. Thanks for the kind words and wishes. Here's to a great new year for all of us.

To Boss and everyone else-Here's to 2015 that brings joy, health, and good music.  

I went over to a friend's who puts on a magazine worthy sit down dinner party every year.  She decorated her tables with tons of clocks all set to right before midnight.  Then after we rang in the new year, we put on some music and danced for 3 hours.  I feel like hell today, but it was worth it.  

Boss Tweedy, we've all been there and we can sympathize more than you imagine. I lost my dad in 2012, exactly on my 30th wedding anniversary. What an odd thing it feels now, to celebrate that day...and yet Dad would want me to, because life does go on. I wish you and yours a beautiful 2015, a year that restores your faith in every way, and I wish that to every member of VC.

Beltmann, it's hard to believe it's been 9 years since you lost your beloved brother. It seems both much longer ago, and yet also like it was just yesterday. I know you know what I mean. The same love and support is still here. Wherever your brother's spirit has moved on to, I know he feels  your love across all of space and time, and always will.

Have a beautiful and blessed new year, everyone.

Boss Tweedy, we've all been there and we can sympathize more than you imagine. I lost my dad in 2012, exactly on my 30th wedding anniversary. What an odd thing it feels now, to celebrate that day...and yet Dad would want me to, because life does go on. I wish you and yours a beautiful 2015, a year that restores your faith in every way, and I wish that to every member of VC.

Thanks, kidsmoke, and I wish the same to you and to everyone here. And thanks to everyone for the warm responses. I really needed them. 

• 4 weeks later...