Most annoying lyrics

"Do it for the children"

That Marvin Gaye song. Was it "Mercy Mercy Me"? I think it was.

Great song. Awful lyric.

• 2 weeks later...

Twenty-five years and my life is still 

Trying to get up that great big hill of hope 
For a destination

Linda Perry, who wrote that song, will be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame at the organization’s 46th Annual Induction and Awards Dinner in June...along with Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter.

So there.

I wouldn't even put it in the top ten most annoying songs. Ever heard Bad Bitch?

Then again, people on this thread are slagging on The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac and Harry Chapin...which to me is inexplicable. There is a plethora of terrible stuff out there, but that ain't part of it.

A few other contenders:

It Ain't No Fun

1-800 Suicide

Dead Wrong

Don't Phunk With My Heart

Seriously, we could do this all day and never even get into the classic rock category...

I wouldn't even put it in the top ten most annoying songs. Ever heard Bad Bitch?

Then again, people on this thread are slagging on The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac and Harry Chapin...which to me is inexplicable. There is a plethora of terrible stuff out there, but that ain't part of it.

Did you ever waken to the sound of street cats making love?

You guess from the cries you were listening to a fight.

Well you know, oh know, hate is the last thing they're thinking of.

You know they're only tryin' to make it thru the night.

It's not the lyrics to that "What's Going On" song, it's the way it's sung. That makes it one of the most unbearable tune ever in my head.

For a few minutes I thought you were talking about the Marvin Gaye song and I couldn't comprehend how the delivery could do anything other than delight and mesmerize. But it's that HORRIBLE early 90s song that goes "heyyyy what's going on."

Wouldn't be surprised if that song, played over and over, is successfully used by torturers to get people to talk.

Wrapped up like a douche* another runner in the night.

*I realize he isn't singing the word douche, but it sounds like he is, so it loses points.  It also loses points because, since this is a cover song, he's supposed to be singing "cut loose like a deuce" and not "wrapped up like a douche**"

**See previous disclaimer.

Its always been douche to me.

Thank god the "whats going on" dilemma was cleared up because I didn't know what the hell lammy was thinking. For the record, I haven't any idea what song he IS talking about but at least its not the Marvin Gaye classic.

And the Looks Like Rain lyrics have always killed me. Bobby, what the hell.