A.M. 20 years today

damn straight!

20 years, jeebus - "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

Thankful that Wilco has been an integral part of the soundtrack of my life!

I'd just returned home from a college semester in London and was moving back into my dorm room for summer school.  I'd just hooked up the cable on my TV, tuned into MTV and saw the "Box Full of Letters" video. Been a fan ever since.

• 11 months later...

At the time I was far more interested in hearing Jay's first release, having enjoyed his UT contributions a bit more.  So when AM was released I waited to get it until... I could order it as one of my 10 for the price of 1 from Columbia Records CD club.

AM doesn't seem 21 years old to me.  Those songs seem especially timeless as they are played today.  But the Columbia Records club? That seems like multiple lifetimes ago.  I still have those CD's in a box in my basement somewhere. If I remember correctly I also got a copy of Big Audio Dynamite's first album in that 10-for-1 stash as well.

It feels like a recent album to me too.  I was working in a record store at the time it came out.  I'd heard rumblings about UT and a tune they had on a Ben & Jerry's comp.  My coworker had to explain to me the entire Tweedy/Farrar saga.  Box is still one of my favorites.