Vic Tweedy benefit shows announced for May 13 and 14

Let's see... No Solid Sound this year (check)... on a weekend/Friday-Saturday (check).... nice weather in May (check) ... and the Cubs are at home against the Pirates (1:20 start on Fri & Sat & TBD for Sunday- check, check & maybe check)...

This might just happen...

By the way, when I first created this topic I don't think I had seen prices. (My enthusiasm led to precipitous posting!) So now the shows are up at WilcoWorld with links and the rules seem to be the same as usual.  $150 for VIP (the first few rows in front of the stage), $75 for the remainder of floor seating and in the balcony. It's a fully seated show, first come, first served except for VIP. 

Tickets go on sale at noon on Friday--I assume that's noon Chicago time.

A little advice to anyone else who may be traveling solo: There are quite a few inexpensive airbnb listings within easy walking distance of the Vic. City Suites, right around the corner from the theater, used to be affordable but I was just quoted over $500 for 2 nights with a AAA discount. Umm, no thanks.  

By the way, when I first created this topic I don't think I had seen prices. (My enthusiasm led to precipitous posting!) So now the shows are up at WilcoWorld with links and the rules seem to be the same as usual.  $150 for VIP (the first few rows in front of the stage), $75 for the remainder of floor seating and in the balcony. It's a fully seated show, first come, first served except for VIP. 

Tickets go on sale at noon on Friday--I assume that's noon Chicago time.

A little advice to anyone else who may be traveling solo: There are quite a few inexpensive airbnb listings within easy walking distance of the Vic. City Suites, right around the corner from the theater, used to be affordable but I was just quoted over $500 for 2 nights with a AAA discount. Umm, no thanks.  

Help me remember here... How do tickets at the Vic work? hard copy, transferable files or you have to show up & be there to get them.

I really want to go, think I can do it, but am not sure & absolutely cannot risk having to eat two days worth of tickets. I thought folks were able to sell them, but I couldn't recall for sure & the box office doesn't open until noon- when the tickets go on sale...

Thanks so much for all the good outreach & help you provide here & for your general good vibes & Spirit!

I was able to "print at home" or have them delivered for $2.50, maybe because I am in IL?  Another weird thing -- did anyone else notice that the ticket fee is different for the 13th vs. the 14th?  Strange.

I noticed the fee difference as well...very odd.

I'm in Chicago and had the print at home or delivery, I like that little stub so I opted for delivery.

I didn't even see VIP option.  Oh well.  I'm just glad to have a couple of tickets.  This will be my first trip to the Vic - or Chicago for that matter! 

EDIT - now I see it.  Duh.

I think by default $75 tickets were added to cart right when they went on sale, I didn't see an option for VIP right away, I finally did however.

I just boughtmy tickets and the only option I was offered was will call. Not sure if that helps. Good luck.

I'm not exactly sure how it works. I live in Illinois and can get always hard tickets or print at home as can some other I know out of state. Some other's only get an option for will call. 

Just an FYI ... while I got "will call" tickets, I called they Vic & they kindly said that they would work with any out of staters/will call folks who run into trouble & need to transfer them out of their names & into another person's name...

I'm contemplating traveling for these shows. Any hotel advice for an out of towner? Would like to do some touristy stuff, but being able to get to the venue with ease is important. Any advice is appreciated!

The City Suites is right around the corner from the Vic. There are a couple others fairly close but I don't recall names. I've stayed downtown many times and it's usually a 15 min cab ride/drive. This time I found a condo to rent via Airbnb, it's also right around the corner from the Vic. It is cheaper than the hotel and much nicer. There may be some options left in the area.

Hotels aren't cheap this time of year. I think the City Suites was over $500 for 2 nights with tax. If you can find someplace cheaper the drive/cab ride may be worth it but all of the hotels are pricey everywhere though. I'd start with Airbnb and enter location as Vic Theater Chicago and you can see what's available. BTW, there is parking very close to the Vic if you are driving. Check ParkWhiz. Good luck!

Steve

It's worth noting that the Vic is right around the corner from the Belmont El station (in fact, at quieter moments, you can sometimes hear the train inside the theater.)  If I were an out-of-towner interested in sightseeing, restaurants, etc. in Chicago, I'd probably stay downtown and take the El up to Belmont for the shows.

I also did airbnb for about $50/night. If finances are not an issue, City Suites is definitely your best bet. Since it's literally right around the corner, you can easily go over to your room to recharge your batteries, etc.

• 2 months later...

It's finally May, so I'm allowed to start getting crazy excited for these shows! I'm curious if any benefit show vets can shed some light on how early a line starts forming. In particular, how early must one be to be a song requester? We have VIP tickets, so I'm not terribly concerned about having a good view, but the opportunity to ask a question/ request a song would be cool.

It's finally May, so I'm allowed to start getting crazy excited for these shows! I'm curious if any benefit show vets can shed some light on how early a line starts forming. In particular, how early must one be to be a song requester? We have VIP tickets, so I'm not terribly concerned about having a good view, but the opportunity to ask a question/ request a song would be cool.

It seems to vary quite a bit depending on weather/day etc. On Friday the line doesn't form very early as many are working. You can get there later in the afternoon and be good. Saturday is generally a bit earlier in the afternoon,  especially if it's a nice day. Keep in mind, there really isn't a line in the afternoon, just a small group of us. The real line doesn't generally start forming until 5 or later. At least that's how I remember it.

It seems to vary quite a bit depending on weather/day etc. On Friday the line doesn't form very early as many are working. You can get there later in the afternoon and be good. Saturday is generally a bit earlier in the afternoon,  especially if it's a nice day. Keep in mind, there really isn't a line in the afternoon, just a small group of us. The real line doesn't generally start forming until 5 or later. At least that's how I remember it.

Awesome - thanks for the information. Hoping to make it early enough on one of the days to be in the top 30. Can't wait!