First time I've been here since the terrible spate deaths of beloved musician that we saw in January and February.

Maybe after my own brush with mortality due to a terrible car crash, this has had me thinking about the artists that we have lost and will soon be losing. With the second generation of Rock Idols (Dylan, McCartney, Morrison, et al) in their mid to late-70's, the next couple of years will be tough.

Circle of life and shit...

I then think about Willie Nelson who's almost 90 and still playing and recording. If Dylan or Neil Young make it that long we could get 5-10 more albums...for good or ill. It is a wake up call.

I think the older I get, the less I'm affected by celebrity/ non-celebrity deaths. Not to sound callous, but it's just a routine that people move on and the "impact" is less to me than when I was younger and immortal.....

I'm in the Lammy camp too - more often, when an artist in their late 60s or older passes, I just sort of nod and think Well, that's the deal. Of course Bowie was different, and there are those in that category whose eventual deaths will shake me.

Well, I was never a big Jefferson Airplane fan, so the death of Paul Kantner didn't get me at all. But Bowie, wow! I had a number of lifelong friendships forged on a shared appreciation of his music. Those go back 30 years or more. And then I start thinking about other celebrities in his generation, and how they probably don't have too many years left. Also, the pervasiveness of pop culture just grows with each passing day, so the deaths grow not just because of age, but because the number of recognizable celebrities grows.

I'm kind of okay with the concept of death, as long as I don't think about it that much. I am a religious person, but have periods of huge periods of doubt. Deaths of people who mean something to me cause me to dwell too much.

For some reason thought he was older. Probably mixed him up with George Jones. Hope he keeps it up. My wife saw Willie last year and said it was great. Go figure.

Neil Young, Dylan, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir will be big for me.

Now in my 40s, it's quite clear my body is breaking down. I'm making friends with the idea of nonexistence. Dropped religion years ago and it has helped a lot. Not without its angst, however.

Only deaths in recent years that got to me were Winehouse and Hoffman, but neither to any huge extent.

Not accusing anyone on this board of this but being involved in recovery circles for a number of years I've noticed a phenomenon regarding death. Sometimes people seem to publish grief as though it were a competition--i.e. "I was a bigger [fan/friend/what have you] than you, as evidenced by how intense and long I'm grieving as compared to how intense and long you're grieving"

Kind of a spiritually sick form of self pity.

Only deaths in recent years that got to me were Winehouse and Hoffman, but neither to any huge extent.

Not accusing anyone on this board of this but being involved in recovery circles for a number of years I've noticed a phenomenon regarding death. Sometimes people seem to publish grief as though it were a competition--i.e. "I was a bigger [fan/friend/what have you] than you, as evidenced by how intense and long I'm grieving as compared to how intense and long you're grieving"

Kind of a spiritually sick form of self pity.

Mostly "celebrity" deaths don't phase me much. It happens. Bowie was such a huge part of my musical journey though that it had an effect. Not claiming to have known him but I did get to meet him once. One of the bigger thrills of 25+ years in the music biz. Glen Frey was more about what he died from. I've been dealing with the same issue for 8 years now & the disease is advancing. Winter is especially brutal. RA is an insidous disease with a lot of variations. Has to be taken into account with anything I want to do. Someone described it as having a thousand tiny rats chewing on all of your joints at the same time. That's not far off...

Mostly "celebrity" deaths don't phase me much. It happens. Bowie was such a huge part of my musical journey though that it had an effect. Not claiming to have known him but I did get to meet him once. One of the bigger thrills of 25+ years in the music biz. Glen Frey was more about what he died from. I've been dealing with the same issue for 8 years now & the disease is advancing. Winter is especially brutal. RA is an insidous disease with a lot of variations. Has to be taken into account with anything I want to do. Someone described it as having a thousand tiny rats chewing on all of your joints at the same time. That's not far off...

So sorry to here about that.  Can definitely see how Frey's death would hit home.  Hope you are as well as possible and the Bowie tunes continue to bring pleasure.  We still got the music, and so much of it...thank goodness.

Levon Helm's death was a huge shock although he had been sick for some time. Bowie didn't let on so that was a shock as well. 

Don't get old y'all, it kind of sucks.

LouieB

He was very old and ill, but Johnny Cash dying nailed me, like a mountain had collapsed. I think Dylan's eventual demise will be like that too.

Adam Yauch & Jam Master Jay are the other two I can think of now - they died way before their time and it was shocking/depressing.

As my daughter grows older and becomes more aware of what death means, and artists we both commune with begin to die, it will probably be tough as hell not to mourn through her eyes.

Levon Helm's death was a huge shock although he had been sick for some time. Bowie didn't let on so that was a shock as well.

Don't get old y'all, it kind of sucks.

LouieB

Don't let us get sick

Don't let us get old

Don't let us get stupid, all right?

Just make us be brave

And make us play nice

And let us be together tonight

--Warren Zevon