Thoughts on the Republican National Convention

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my question. Are enough people really this scared? Has their everyday experience of America been that frightening? I mean, I get the suffering of some rust belt folks with industries shutting down, but do that many of our citizens walk outside everyday and say, "Oh god, how terrible. This place is falling apart and I'm frightened for my life. The last eight years have been the most dangerous time of my life."

It's mediated fear. There's Orlando, Dallas, San Bernadino. Also, many think the attacks in Nice and Paris or even Istanbul are as likely here. The news has convinced us that life is filled with danger around every corner though in reality we're probably as safe as we've ever been from violent crime and terrorism.

Halfway thru his speech last night I decided to go outside and get soaked in a thunderstorm. A much better use of my time.

Totally agree about using that song. It's saying, "You didn't get the nominee you wanted, you got me." Is he really trying to say we need him I suppose so.?

I disagree about gaining new voters. We've mostly seen clips of his speeches. How many of us have a watched a complete speech? He mostly stayed on script (I thought joining the crowd on the USA chant played awkward on TV) and probably didn't sound as crazy as many of the clips have made him seem.

Good point on the Stones song - it may be a jab at the Republican 'establishment' base.

With regards to the new voters - to Trump's great credit - he did get people out to vote during the primaries ---- I expect all those people to vote for him in the general, as well as some Republicans who didn't - but I think the people who vote in the general election, vote in the primaries or at least pay attention to the process ---- Trump didn't show anything different last night - still no plan, nothing except what people dislike most about him, which is screaming about everything and having no substance.

Even if people haven't heard a whole Trump speech before last night --- watching a Trump 3 minute sound bite from the primary is what turned off voters to Trump or it got them interested in him, and some of those eventually voted for him.

Last night just seemed like string of 3 minutes sound bites that lasted 3 days --- I can't see on the fence Independent or Democrat who has been paying the slightest attention, being swayed from last night's speech. They will either stay home or vote for Hillary Clinton, out of fear of the alternative.

And regarding the mention of Orlando and LGBTQ - I wonder if any of it would have been brought up if anybody else but person with Muslim decent did the horrible shooting. But to Trump's credit, I think he is much more progressive when it comes to LGBTQ and such -- of course that's why Pence needed to get involved.

George Harrison's estate (was it penned by Dhani?) on RNC's use of "Here Comes the Sun" to introduce Ivanka:

"The unauthorized use of 'Here Comes the Sun' at the RNC is offensive & against the wishes of the George Harrison estate," the estate tweeted Thursday night after the Abbey Road track was broadcast. Instead, the estate offered the use of a more fitting All Things Must Pass song: "If it had been 'Beware of Darkness,' then we MAY have approved it! #TrumpYourself."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/george-harrison-estate-blasts-trumps-song-use-at-rnc-w430423

George Harrison's estate (was it penned by Dhani?) on RNC's use of "Here Comes the Sun" to introduce Ivanka:

"The unauthorized use of 'Here Comes the Sun' at the RNC is offensive & against the wishes of the George Harrison estate," the estate tweeted Thursday night after the Abbey Road track was broadcast. Instead, the estate offered the use of a more fitting All Things Must Pass song: "If it had been 'Beware of Darkness,' then we MAY have approved it! #TrumpYourself."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/george-harrison-estate-blasts-trumps-song-use-at-rnc-w430423

:rotfl I hope that was Dhani

He also pandered to the Bernie or Bust/Never Hillary crowd with his "the system is rigged, Bernie never had a chance" nonsense.

He's essentially throwing every political idea against the wall to see what sticks.  I guess that's easy enough to do when you spend all your time saying what you're going to do, knowing full well that nobody is going to ask him HOW he's going to do it.

He pandered to everyone and will in fact pick up some Bernie or Bust folks who believe that Hillary is worse than he is.  The worse was pandering to the LGBTQ community though, after the RNC adopted the most anti LGBTQ platform ever. .

LouieB

I can't see any Sanders supporters voting for Trump - I voted for Sanders and will vote for Clinton in the general. Not sure why any Sanders supporter would bother voting for Trump - I would think they would vote for another party or not vote at all for a President.

Does anybody actually know any Sander's supporters who said they are voting for Trump? I haven't looked into it at all - perhaps out of fear of my head exploding reading up on it...

Does anybody actually know any Sander's supporters who said they are voting for Trump? I haven't looked into it at all - perhaps out of fear of my head exploding reading up on it...

I voted Sanders and know the only sane option is Clinton.  The entire GOP Convention was a huge hate show.

I didn't watch a moment of it. Seeing what's become of the Republican Party makes me wonder how I ever identified with it years ago. It's an absolute clown show. I honestly don't understand how or why anyone would vote for Donald Trump.