Thoughts on the Republican National Convention

I thought since our political thread has gotten so massive, it might be easier to discuss what we're seeing and feeling and thinking about the RNC in a separate dedicated thread. 

I know everyone has strong feelings about this election, so please try to keep your posts as civil as you can manage.

My own thoughts? It all seems so surreal. An episode of "Who Wants to be a President?" where all the questions can be diverted by chanting, USA! USA!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a clusterfuck. I grew up in a Republican household. My parents were very moderate. In Iowa, they were known as "Ray Republicans". Robert Ray was a longtime Republican governor who helped bring thousands of southeast Asian refugees to Iowa in the 1970s. Even though they were moderate, they liked Reagan. At that age, I liked Reagan, Jack Kemp, Bob Dole, and many other Republican politicians and pundits. I've voted for more Republicans than Democrats. 

I switched my registration a couple of months ago. I am just so goddamn disgusted.

This is not about a party, it's about a cult of personality.

Plagiarism or just a reeeally unfortunate coincidence?  

I can't imagine that anyone in the Trump campaign would have had her intentionally copy Michele Obama's speech, of all people!

Unless we are all still underestimating just how far they will go to win the "Hungry for Power Games". 

Did they honestly think no one would notice??!

She said that she wrote it all by herself, while the campaign website talks about the team of writers...

It's like in High School when you " paraphrase" without attribution and think you did original work. And even if it is totally unintentional and these are original thoughts, you would think that her handlers would have struck that portion of the speech. Isn't emulating Obama intentionally or not just about the worst thing a Republican could do?

Rudy Giuliani seemed so angry, I thought his head might explode. I've decided I can't watch either party's convention.  Bad for my mental health. 

we have to  have this preserved for posterity

Michelle Obama’s 2008 speech:

Like my family, they scrimped and saved so that he could have opportunities they never had themselves. And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children—and all children in this nation—to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Melania Drumpf’s 2016 convention speech:

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily lives. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son.

And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow.

Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

How can people claim this was not an instance of plagiarism? What sort of insular echo chamber are people living in that allows them to deny reality? And yet people are doing just that. Unbelievable.

Btw, I watched her speech last night. This was supposed to be a big moment to paint Trump in a new light. None of that happened, IMHO.

The thoroughly entertaining death spiral of the GOP continues..... 

Apparently, Norovirus has broken out at the convention.  Shit and barf everywhere. Not sure how anyone noticed, since that's basically their party platform, but that's what is being reported.

Apparently, Norovirus has broken out at the convention.  Shit and barf everywhere. Not sure how anyone noticed, since that's basically their party platform, but that's what is being reported.

Too bad Hunter S. Thompson isn't around for any of this - he would have had a field day with this.

I am sure Obama will be blamed.