Kurt Vile recommendations

here's a quick Spotify playlist i just pulled together... hope you dig.

https://open.spotify.com/user/tinnitus_photo/playlist/2Q44EMPMTAdooDWSrx8afc

I've always liked Vile's vibe. His music/voice sounds so dang cool & hip & chill. 

That's a good playlist you made. The 2 you have from B'lieve I'm Going Down are good. My favorite 2 from that album are "That's Life Tho" & "Wheelhouse"...that latter's a doozy.

I've always liked Vile's vibe. His music/voice sounds so dang cool & hip & chill. 

That's a good playlist you made. The 2 you have from B'lieve I'm Going Down are good. My favorite 2 from that album are "That's Life Tho" & "Wheelhouse"...that latter's a doozy.

i gotta admit that i didn't spend enough time w/ the last one... should revisit it.

"Pretty Pimpin'" is probably the catchiest song he's ever written. it got a ton of airplay on SiriusXM and deservedly so.

i'm still a bit partial to his loner Neil Young/On The Beach moments, like "Space Forklift" and "Blackberry Song" and "Even My Best Friends," which also includes one of my favorite snips of lyrics (We tried to school you but you just cut class).

i also forgot to include "He's Alright" which is another fave of mine.

I've just gotten into KV in the past two months in anticipation of his album with the great Courtney Barnett. 

I think all his albums are fantastic but his most recent three, Smoke Ring For My Halo, Wakin' on a Pretty Daze, and B'lieve I'm Goin Down, are probably his most accessible works. Childish Prodigy is great too but I probably appreciate it more after being familiar with his other work.

I'm seeing him in twice October, I'm very excited!

that's a valid critique (his inability to leave the mid-tempo chug).

curious, do you like The War On Drugs? 

A bit more, but a bit too Springsteen and Dylan in 80's sounding for me. I'm very particular and don't waste my time listening to much new music as it generally dissapoints. If people are still taking about em in 5 years, I'll check em out. 

A bit more, but a bit too Springsteen and Dylan in 80's sounding for me. I'm very particular and don't waste my time listening to much new music as it generally dissapoints. If people are still taking about em in 5 years, I'll check em out. 

That's been my situation for the past few years too (more so because I just simply haven't had time to seek out new music), but in 2017 I've made a conscious effort to listen to more 2017 music. It's been great hearing music of the moment, understanding the general feeling and mentality of people these days and hearing that either directly or indirectly reflected in the music. 

on the other hand, i think a pretty strong argument could be made that the first three or so records are generally a band's strongest, and then a slow, inevitable decline takes place.

so don't tarry!

No FOMO here, too busy catching up on stuff that happened before I was born. 

Not sure if this is on the above Spotify list, but at this summer's Solid Sound Vile played one of his earlier songs, "Freak Train."  It has a great chugging locomotive-like rhythm, occasionally punctuated by Vile screaming Freak Train!!!  Sounded really good live.

Not sure if this is on the above Spotify list, but at this summer's Solid Sound Vile played one of his earlier songs, "Freak Train."  It has a great chugging locomotive-like rhythm, occasionally punctuated by Vile screaming Freak Train!!!  Sounded really good live.

My buddy Bob got a good recording of this set. I'm listening to Freak Train right now. It's up on btree.etree. I can hook you up if you don't do the btree thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 new Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett songs are pretty great.

It's hard to not listen to "Continental Breakfast", along with watching the video, without having a good positive feeling.

Drove 20 minutes to the record store to buy this and found out its not out until next week. But I picked up a sealed original Husker Du album so no loss.

• 2 weeks later...