Favorite WILCO song

• 5 weeks later...

Muzzle of Bees

I've often argued that this song best showcases the strengths and abilities of their current longstanding lineup. It's got all of the dynamics, arrangement brilliance and nuanced playing to show what the 6 of them can do together. Maybe not my favorite song, but one of the best presentations of the art of Wilconess.

I've often argued that this song best showcases the strengths and abilities of their current longstanding lineup. It's got all of the dynamics, arrangement brilliance and nuanced playing to show what the 6 of them can do together. Maybe not my favorite song, but one of the best presentations of the art of Wilconess.

I watch this a few times a year.

I completely agree. The six-piece does a great job capturing all the layers of that recording which has Jeff on a 12-string baritone acoustic, Jim O’Rourke on acoustic, Leroy plays bass on it. Jim, John and Mike all put down piano parts and the electric parts are Jeff in pure “SG/prunes/custard/and migraines” mode.

I completely agree. The six-piece does a great job capturing all the layers of that recording which has Jeff on a 12-string baritone acoustic, Jim O’Rourke on acoustic, Leroy plays bass on it. Jim, John and Mike all put down piano parts and the electric parts are Jeff in pure “SG/prunes/custard/and migraines” mode.

Great video! Thanks for sharing it, Mike!

• 1 month later...

I knew before I clicked it that this was the "Burn to Shine" performance, it's pretty amazing. "Muzzle of Bees" is the best Wilco. 

.... and the electric parts are Jeff in pure “SG/prunes/custard/and migraines” mode.

I don't know wtf you are talking about but it sounds cool/weird!  I mean I get the SG part, but what do prunes, custard and migraines have to do with his guitar tone or playing?  Serious question, actually.

• 3 weeks later...