Favorite WILCO song

I know this has been done before, but what the hell?  Let's do it again!  It is VERY hard to pick one, but you must!  I have several rambling around in my brain right now, but I have to select one; said rules.  And that honor goes to....

VIA CHICAGO

Has to be One By One.

For complete JT originals it's probably Misunderstood. 

This is a tough question, I've been listening to Wilco for so long these older songs are so ingrained in my mind, it's hard to listen to them objectively without 15 years of memories and feelings associated with them.

It doesn't help that Jeff is such a consistent songwriter, there's really no Wilco songs I don't like. 

I've been listening to Wilco for so long these older songs are so ingrained in my mind, it's hard to listen to them objectively without 15 years of memories and feelings associated with them.

Same here. Today, though, I'm going to pick "Poor Places," if only because I heard it this afternoon and loved it as much as the first time.

I know this has been done before, but what the hell?  Let's do it again!  It is VERY hard to pick one, but you must!  I have several rambling around in my brain right now, but I have to select one; said rules.  And that honor goes to....

VIA CHICAGO

Same for me. That is always the first one that springs to mind for me.

Another vote for Via Chicago.

When I first heard that, it was 1999 and I was hearing all these JT songs for the first time from the previous year's Lounge Ax solo residency, so I could really hear the words. He went from an interesting songwriter in my estimation to an important songwriter.

Has to be One By One.

For complete JT originals it's probably Misunderstood. 

This is a tough question, I've been listening to Wilco for so long these older songs are so ingrained in my mind, it's hard to listen to them objectively without 15 years of memories and feelings associated with them.

It doesn't help that Jeff is such a consistent songwriter, there's really no Wilco songs I don't like. 

Not to pick too many nits but... Isn't Misunderstood a couple degrees or so from a cover song?

Same here. Today, though, I'm going to pick "Poor Places," if only because I heard it this afternoon and loved it as much as the first time.

I've always thought the Poor Places > Spiders sequence is the very best thing they've ever did live.

Poor Places for me.

Pieholden Suite.  It is the one song that I want to hear at every show, but they basically never play it!  If I ever lined up early enough for the Tweedy acoustic benefits, I would request it every year.  I've been fortunate enough to catch 2 Wilco versions and 1 Tweedy solo in my 50+ combined shows, but damnit it is not enough.

Asking me to choose my favorite Wilco song is kind of like asking me to choose my favorite child!  Anyways . . .

I Got You

Shot in the Arm

Misunderstood

Wishful Thinking

ALTWYS

Hell Is Chrome

Standing O 

Spiders 

Pieholden Suite 

I can't choose just one. 
More often than not I will stuff the show ballot box with requests for ALTWYS. 

Ashes of American Flags

Monday

both from the live DVD, for me either or both are just the absolute peak of what makes Wilco great!  Its hard to not throw Handshake Drugs and Impossible Germany in there for the blazing guitar ensemble performances.  When Pat rocks out on guitar together with Nels and Jeff, that's the good stuff for me.

Not saying they're the best but my favorite three (which date my fandom and me a little) are "Box Full of Letters" (first Wilco song I ever heard), "Outtasite (Outta Mind)", and "California Stars."

Wishful Thinking

ALTWYS

Hell Is Chrome

Standing O 

Spiders 

Pieholden Suite 

Neat list. Agree with much of it. Standing O doesn't seem appreciated enough.

I'm tempted to say Hotel Arizona because the vibe of the song is cool as hell. Or Dash 7 because....because....I don't know because, I just damn like it. Or ALTWYS because that studio version is SO incredible with Jeff's urgent, slippery-sounding electric guitar riffs. Or Solitaire because of its lyrics.

But I pick PIEHOLDEN SUITE.