Summerteeth turns 20!

Very cool. My first Wilco show was in August '99, so the material was all brand new and sounded so fresh. I also got hold of my first Jeff solo show that year, from Lounge Ax the previous year, and that got me really into the whole Wilco/UT/JT world. Summerteeth will always be a top 3 Wilco record for me.

This was the Wilco record I freaked out on. I liked the first 2 but flipped out on this one. I call it Jeff's Brian Wilson record. Still play it a real lot. Hopefullly there will be some sort of anniversary package. Don't want to wait for 25th anniversary! Don't know if I'll be around that long.

Wonder why there's not to be a Deluxe version of Summerteeth? There must be tons of alternate versions of songs, along with who knows how many other recordings. It'd also be great to hear some live concert recordings during this time.

Wilco's been consistently very good for a LONG time, if not great, but for me, this album was Wilco at it its most magical. 

Wonder why there's not to be a Deluxe version of Summerteeth? There must be tons of alternate versions of songs, along with who knows how many other recordings. It'd also be great to hear some live concert recordings during this time.

Wilco's been consistently very good for a LONG time, if not great, but for me, this album was Wilco at it its most magical. 

This is how I feel, too. The overt Beach Boys and Beatles references, the all-timer lyrics to VC and She's A Jar, the songs that sound like they could have been outtakes from some never-before-heard 60s band (When You Wake Up, ELT)...seeing them live on that '99 tour with Jay was a part of it, too.

On the outtakes and alternates, I've heard a few - not significantly different than the final versions - but I think they also may have released most of the stuff of highest interest on the Alpha Mike Foxtrot box. Tried and True, Student Loan Stereo and the other tracks on disc 2 of that set might be all they want to put out. But if they added a show or two to a rerelease of S/T, like the 8/31/99 FL concert that exists in great SBD quality, I'm sure people would buy it.

The overt Beach Boys and Beatles references, the all-timer lyrics to VC and She's A Jar, the songs that sound like they could have been outtakes from some never-before-heard 60s band (When You Wake Up, ELT)...seeing them live on that '99 tour with Jay was a part of it, too.

....if they added a show or two to a rerelease of S/T, like the 8/31/99 FL concert that exists in great SBD quality, I'm sure people would buy it.

Nice post. 

Just got thinking, too, that Sam Jones film has 2 really fantastic recordings of Pieholden Suite & How Do You Fight Loneliness.

Such a wealth of awesomeness from that time period. 

• 1 month later...

I did take advantage of the sale on the LP - look forward to hearing it on LP.

They might just want to move out the old inventory to make room for deluxe or just get people to buy it while it is on sale and then hope they will buy it again when the deluxe comes out...

i was listening to Summerteeth yesterday on the way to work. i have a pretty decent stereo in the car. i still love this record, probably a tie with YHF & Ghost for my favorite Wilco record (not counting live stuff). i was struck by the drums. Ken was a decent drummer & really nice guy but very meat & potatoes on the drums. i can see why Jeff moved on. would love to hear at least some of this record redone in the studio with Glenn on drums. a pipe dream obviously.

i was listening to Summerteeth yesterday on the way to work. i have a pretty decent stereo in the car. i still love this record, probably a tie with YHF & Ghost for my favorite Wilco record (not counting live stuff). i was struck by the drums. Ken was a decent drummer & really nice guy but very meat & potatoes on the drums. i can see why Jeff moved on. would love to hear at least some of this record redone in the studio with Glenn on drums. a pipe dream obviously.

It’s not all Coomer on Summerteeth. Jay Bennett played bass and drums on some tracks when John and Ken weren’t around, which caused some resentment, obviously. Left those guys wondering what their roles were, especially as the record became Jeff & Jay hunkering down in the studio. I remember a quote from John in Greg Kot’s book, “The story of Summerteeth is Jay got a Mellotron and was going to use it on everything.” That may not be 100% exact (not going to go dig up my copy right now) but that’s the general idea. An amazing record by a band hardly unified at the time. Almost like they were more in sync on YHF while that record became the catalyst for Jay’s exit/dismissal.

The Sound Opinions show this past weekend featured a best of live performances on the show. Most were from the last 3-5 years with the wonderful exception of She's a Jar from 1999 performed by Jay and Jeff. It was great. Some great banter ahead of the performance too. Tying it to this thread (beyond the fact that they were promoting the album) is my thought of how the rest of the band felt about these two being so chummy and promoting the cd without them so effectively.