new Wilco fan here - what are the best live recordings?

Hi folks, I consider myself a new serious fan.  Even though I've owned the YHF and Summerteeth CDs for 15+ years, recently I've seen the light in terms of just how damned amazing this band is.  Now I'm about six weeks into a complete Wilco breakthrough, and although I'm only really familiar with the first five albums at this time, I'll be working forward in time to catch up.

Live bootlegs are a passion of mine.  So what are the very best Wilco live recordings I should look for?

Also, are there any DC++ sites focused on Wilco?  I'm aware of Owl's amazing Wilco Archive, but it seems like it takes forever to download shows through Google Drive.  (The interface wants to zip every folder, which often takes 20+ minutes to complete...half the time it craps out before finishing.)

04/14/95 - This is actually just Jeff and Jay, but it's a nice set.

11/12/96 - Available on the 5-disc Being There Deluxe box, and totally worth it. Had it for years on cassette, and bought the box to upgrade.

02/15/97 - The so-called Deli Tray Incident show. Essential.

03/11/99 - Intro of Summerteeth at Tower Records. Rocking hard versions, just mindblowingly good.

08/31/99 - My first Wilco show. Excellent SBD.

11/05/99 - Any Major Dude and Cock In My Pocket. Legendary.

01/04/00 - Show opens with Remember the Mountainbed. Covers include Kingsport Town & Lookin' For A Love. 'Nuff said.

07/04/01 - Intro of YHF (a bit) to Chicago. Last Jay Bennett show (?)

03/11/02 - Early Spiders kicks butt. Excellent AUD, worth the effort.

11/02/02 - My 2nd show. Another nice SBD.

11/03/02 - Might be the best Wilco show I ever saw. AUD, but worth it for the early pre-Nels Handshake Drugs.

01/12/03 - Show with the "goth" version of HMD.

12/31/04 - Covers include Living After Midnight, Don't Fear the Reaper, Love Will Keep Us Together & Something in the Air.

I'll let others comment on the last 15 years, but those are a great start to a prime early years collection.

You really might want to subscribe to nugs.net. It’s about $12 a month on a subscription basis but all of the Roadcase recordings are streaming at your fingertips. They do offer a one month free trial if you want to just check it out.

You should start with Kicking Television of course. Brilliant live album.

This. No roadcase show touches KT in my opinion. Quality sound and editing. The setlist and tempo are second to none. It's my favorite album of all time by anyone. 

The "Live at the Troubadour 11/12/96/ & Live at KCRW 11/13/96" shows that are included with the reissued "Bring There" package are quite good

I'm pretty sure we have several threads on this topic already. Would be great if they could be stickied.

I'm going to reiterate August 12, 2000, which I think was also a free Chicago show and great quality (FM?) sound.

September 19, 2000 - Irving Plaza. Back in the days of tape trading this one took up three sides, might've even had a song or two on side four. Started with 40 or 45 minutes or so of Woody Guthrie songs. Outtasite with the Won't Get Fooled Again intro. A couple YHF previews. Ended with the Lonely 1. Any show that ended with The Lonely 1 was epic.

Radio City 2005 was nice. Be Not So Fearful was a highlight for me.

Can't go wrong with any of the spring 2010 "Evening With Wilco" shows.

Capitol Theater 2014 was peak live Wilco for me. And Ashes of American Flags was the peak of all three nights, if that is possible to pinpoint a song or moment from that run. Yes all three nights were roadcased but there are some nice audience tapes out there too.

For Jeff solo my favorite show/bootleg was my first, Irving Plaza February 2001. That tour had such a rich deep sound (as heard on the IATTBYH movie).

Happy Listening!

September 19, 2000 - Irving Plaza. Back in the days of tape trading this one took up three sides, might've even had a song or two on side four. Started with 40 or 45 minutes or so of Woody Guthrie songs. Outtasite with the Won't Get Fooled Again intro. A couple YHF previews. Ended with the Lonely 1. Any show that ended with The Lonely 1 was epic.

Just gotta give a shout out for my first show! B)

• 1 month later...

Just gotta give a shout out for my first show! B)

No wonder why you got so hooked! Did I not know that was your first show? For some reason I thought you just missed the Jay Bennett era. I must be thinking of another long-time Wilco friend.... We must have shared some elbow room at the stage that night?

No wonder why you got so hooked! Did I not know that was your first show? For some reason I thought you just missed the Jay Bennett era. I must be thinking of another long-time Wilco friend.... We must have shared some elbow room at the stage that night?

No, we wouldn’t have been together at the stage that night. I hadn’t reached peak psycho, early freakdom yet, so as I recall I was somewhere in the front half of the floor. I think I may have gone with a work friend of mine who I bonded with over music and the Jayhawks in particular. He ended up fairly quickly settling down and getting married and having a bunch of kids and, well, I went down a different road... B)