On 1/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, tinnitus photography said:

Nice work, Tim. Finally had a chance to read, and I thought you did a good job capturing the general atmosphere of the event. As expected, some excellent photos all around. That one of Mavis and Jeff from the Beach stage is great! And thanks for the new nickname for Mr. Bull Black Nova; hope you don't mind if I use that moving forward. :chickawow

Just one note: Cut Your Hair was played at the all-request/all-covers set at Solid Sound in 2013, not 2015.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Ta

That mariachi band looks the business. I love a mariachi band. Probably would have enjoyed that more than Wilco these days.

Blasphemy, surely! Funny enough, I was wondering where the mariachi were this year. I didn't see them at all. They weren't on stage for the opening toast as they were at the first SBS, I don't believe. Were they just roaming around randomly? Or perhaps playing at one of the heritage shows the day before or after the festival?

5 hours ago, bböp said:

And thanks for the new nickname for Mr. Bull Black Nova; hope you don't mind if I use that moving forward. :chickawow

Thank YOU for the concern to retain my anonymity with the use of a pseudonym.  Deep down I'm quite shy and reluctant to call attention to myself.  And by "deep down" I really mean "not even a little bit".  :thumbup

Cheers!

Mince

6 hours ago, bböp said:

Nice work, Tim. Finally had a chance to read, and I thought you did a good job capturing the general atmosphere of the event. As expected, some excellent photos all around. That one of Mavis and Jeff from the Beach stage is great! And thanks for the new nickname for Mr. Bull Black Nova; hope you don't mind if I use that moving forward. :chickawow

Just one note: Cut Your Hair was played at the all-request/all-covers set at Solid Sound in 2013, not 2015.

Blasphemy, surely! Funny enough, I was wondering where the mariachi were this year. I didn't see them at all. They weren't on stage for the opening toast as they were at the first SBS, I don't believe. Were they just roaming around randomly? Or perhaps playing at one of the heritage shows the day before or after the festival?

thx Paul, sometimes my brain cells misfire even for events i was at; i'll make the correction.

i saw the mariachi band when i was leaving the mezcal tasting from behind where John and Nels were sitting. I was hustling off for a dinner reservation so i don't know if/when/where they played. as you noted, certainly not at the opening toast. (btw, what was that opening ceremony? I couldn't really tell)

• Haha 1
On 1/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, bböp said:

But I never said Jehovah! . . . Oh bugger . . .

I don't know how to break this to you, but it appears you're not on the VIP events memo list any more?

As for Mariachi > Wilco - I was listening to MA1 in its entirety the other day and began thinking how much I miss 'the rasp'. I guess age, giving up the fags, and the nose job (I use that in the loosest sense for comedy effect) have all been factors - but things like Hoodoo Voodoo sound so good there. I've just got a bit turned off by the glut of whispery vocalised dirge rock. As I've said before, hoping they brought back some jumping beans to liven up the next album - they did seem to take my advice (not that I fool myself they didn't think of it themselves) about giving more of a post-pandemic punch to their live shows. 

• Like 1