My Worlds Have Collided

I've been a Wilco fan almost since day one, but I've been a fan of fellow Wilco lover Dale Murphy since I was seven (1982). Each year during baseball season Dale hosts several "Dale Murphy MVP Experiences" at Braves games in Atlanta. A few high school friends and I had been talking about meeting for one of these events for the last couple of years. At some point in late 2020 or early last year I started thinking about how great it would be to do something for Murph since he'd meant so much to me for so long. A few years ago he came to my area to give a presentation about his career and the game of baseball generally. Afterward I stayed to meet him, but I didn't want an autograph. I'd met him several times previously. I wanted to know what his favorite Wilco album is. So I asked him. That launched an amazing one-on-one discussion about Wilco and music for at least a solid five minutes. It was such a cool experience.

Fast forward to the pandemic era, and I imagined the possibility of getting my hands on a new vinyl copy of Dale's favorite Wilco album, A Ghost Is Born. Then I thought about how cool it would be if I could somehow manage to get each member of the band to sign the album for him. At some point I reached out to our fearless leader, @kidsmoke, to share my idea with her and to ask if she'd be willing to pull some strings on my behalf. She was so incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, reaching out to the good people at Wilco's headquarters. I don't know if it's OK to share the name of the individual who helped me, so for now I won't. I'll just say that she couldn't have been more supportive of my efforts and helpful in making my idea a reality. Last year I mailed the album to the Wilco Loft. Not too long afterward it made its way back to me. A few stickers and guitar picks were thrown in with the album, and Wilco even paid for postage to return it while also returning my stamps unused stamps that I'd included.

Due to COVID and the fact that the wife of one of my friends had a baby last summer, we'd put off signing up for an MVP Experience until this year. As such I found a nice, safe spot to store the album while we waited. Finally our big day came yesterday. In addition to lunch at Dale's restaurant, photos and autographs, and watching the Braves beat the Astros in extra innings from the Home Depot Clubhouse suite at Truist Park, I finally had the chance to do something for a man who'd given me and countless others so many moments of joy to express how much he's appreciated. After he unwrapped the album Dale looked at me and said that he'll cherish it. I'm not sure who had the bigger smile - him or me. At the end of the evening, I shared with him how much it meant to me to be able to do that for him. And it never would've happened without the help of @kidsmoke and Wilco. It's such a cool thing that my childhood sports hero love the same band. The last thing he said to me tonight was "I can't wait to meet up again and talk more about Wilco."  A special experience. A special (former) ballplayer. A special band. And special friends who made an experience I'll never forget possible.

300732817_10220617224755991_8276122118678758955_n.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpg

• Like 9

What a great story - loved it.  There's a great song on the The Baseball Project's 3d album campaigning for Dale's induction into the Hall of Fame.   

• Like 3

Well done. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful act of kindness. I’m beaming as much as you and Mr. Murphy. Agree that it says lots about him that his favorite album is A Ghost is Born. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Chez said:

What a great story - loved it.  There's a great song on the The Baseball Project's 3d album campaigning for Dale's induction into the Hall of Fame.   

I love that song!

• Like 1

Jon, I'm so happy to see this story come to its perfect happy ending! When you first told me about talking with Dale about Wilco, and about how A Ghost is Born is his favorite album, I absolutely loved the idea of getting him his very own signed copy! How like you, to have immediately thought of doing that for him...a way to give back, for all the inspiration he'd given you.

I didn't know if it was doable, but I do know that Wilco and their staff are as generous as any band out there. Nothing ventured; nothing gained, right? I'm so glad I asked, and so grateful that Wilco themselves obviously loved the idea of giving back to Dale, their fan. :wub Small wonder that we all love these good, talented, loving men.

Your photos are dazzling! Have you even managed to stop massively smiling yet? Please post a few from the ballpark as well! You and Dale seem to have hit it off like longtime friends! What a story you have to tell!

One more question...how'd he react when he first saw what you'd brought? Saw the autographs, and his name up in the corner, by Jeff. Was he completely surprised? :party:rock

• Like 2

Been a regular reader since the start and a member since 2009, but for whatever reason have only posted a few times.  Reading this, though, really struck a chord.  Just felt like a microcosm of everything that makes the community around this band special.  I’m happy for you and everyone that helped you pull it off, as well as the rest of us who get to enjoy the story. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, kidsmoke said:

Jon, I'm so happy to see this story come to its perfect happy ending! When you first told me about talking with Dale about Wilco, and about how A Ghost is Born is his favorite album, I absolutely loved the idea of getting him his very own signed copy! How like you, to have immediately thought of doing that for him...a way to give back, for all the inspiration he'd given you.

I didn't know if it was doable, but I do know that Wilco and their staff are as generous as any band out there. Nothing ventured; nothing gained, right? I'm so glad I asked, and so grateful that Wilco themselves obviously loved the idea of giving back to Dale, their fan. :wub Small wonder that we all love these good, talented, loving men.

Your photos are dazzling! Have you even managed to stop massively smiling yet? Please post a few from the ballpark as well! You and Dale seem to have hit it off like longtime friends! What a story you have to tell!

One more question...how'd he react when he first saw what you'd brought? Saw the autographs, and his name up in the corner, by Jeff. Was he completely surprised? :party:rock

As I've mentioned previously I couldn't have done it without you. I hope you know much I appreciate you. I may have a few more pics on my pocket camera (probably none of Murph and me though), but here are a few pics from the game. For those who aren't aware three high school friends and I had been planning the get-together at the game (and specifically to attend one of the "Dale Murphy MVP Experiences" that are held during the baseball season) for about two and a half years. Unfortunately one of our friends tested positive for COVID last Friday, so she was unable to attend. We got her a baseball personalized by Dale for her, so hopefully that cheered her up a little. One of group photos was taken at Dale's restaurant before the game and includes Dale, my two high school friends, and me. Another one also includes the son of one of my friends (he pinch-hit for our friend with COVID). Spencer Strider, a Braves pitcher with quite a mustache, pitched on Saturday; so the team gave away fake mustaches prior to the game. I took the pic showing the game on TV to preserve the moment in time during which Dale and I (and others) were watching and discussing a live Braves game. So surreal. I'm not sure that we're quite friends. I was kinda worried about monopolizing his time when so many others were there to interact with him, too. Plus I didn't expect or want anything in return from him. That would kinda defeat the purpose of the gift. Later in the game he asked me if I wanted any extra autographs, and I respectfully declined. Also, sharing the day and catching up with two old friends I hadn't seen in years were perhaps just as enjoyable as my time with Dale. I've known one of those guys since I was eight.

I'm still so incredibly happy to have been able to do this for Dale. He's meant a lot to many people, and it's difficult to overstate how special it felt to be able to give him a little something in return. 

As for his initial reaction his face lit up much like it did when I asked him about his favorite Wilco album the last time I saw him. I was nearly in tears, so I'm not sure a lengthy interaction would've been good for me at that moment. I'm paraphrasing (but not a lot) - he said he'll treasure the album forever. As I will treasure that moment. I'm sure he expected it to be something like a drawing or a painting of him or something to do with baseball.I imagine he gets a lot of that (not that there's anything wrong with those things). I wrapped it in wrapping paper with an Atlanta Braves pattern to make it seem like it might be related to baseball. 

299864222_10220620829406105_1172569468585417587_n.jpeg

299974091_10220620827526058_7940608065153061444_n.jpeg

300166242_10220620829526108_3251080572334810094_n.jpeg

300280321_10220620828566084_8471997089136185911_n.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpg

• Like 3

One more thing I failed to mention in my last post: I can't agree more with you, Donna, about Wilco and everyone associated with the band. They're all so easy to love. Every time I've interacted with a band member, a family member, or someone who represents the band in some capacity, I've left the encounter reaffirmed in my faith in all things Wilco. I'm so thankful for the generosity of the guys and to the good people who work behind the scenes on their behalf. 

• Like 1

Awesome story - thanks for sharing.

Dale was one of my favorites growing up, too (and I am a AL/White Sox fan). Still remember buying his rookie card in the early 80s. 

Dale was on every APBA or Strat-O-Matic team of mine.  (card playing/dice games)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Inside of Outside said:

Great story! 

And Dale Murphy should be in the HOF. His performance on the field gets him there, and his character puts him over the top.

I couldn't agree more. His enshrinement is long overdue. 

• 2 weeks later...