I have a pretty nice Martin, I can't tell you what model it is though, the thing wore off. Before you get set on a Martin, I would look at a Garrison. They're a relatively small company up in Canada (awesome wood) and are typically cheaper than Martins. Also, if you do any alternate tunings, these Garrisons hold up awesome and don't feel like they're going to break. I have a G-20 for $600 and the sound is rival to that Martin I own.

hmm in that price range i really love my taylor 110. 400-500 dollars. sounds really nice. haven't had any problems with mine but my friend's bridge decided to crack... although it is really dry here. But i just love my taylor and it sounds great!

a buddy of mine just bought an alvarez ad60sc. i have always been partial to the gibson, martin, collings line of guitars but that alvarez sounded great for about $300. very bright, fast action, built in tuner. i'm thinking about picking up the 12 string version myself

hmm in that price range i really love my taylor 110. 400-500 dollars. sounds really nice. haven't had any problems with mine but my friend's bridge decided to crack... although it is really dry here. But i just love my taylor and it sounds great!

Bridge cracked!? Your friend should use a dampit guitar humidifier.

I own a Santa Cruz D/PW. Great guitar. The Santa Cruz D/PW is one of the cheeper handbuilt, small shop guitars you can buy. Indian Rosewood back and sides, Sitka Spruce top, Ebony fingerboard and bridge and grover tuners. It's an kick ass guitar! You won't find a better one for under $2500.

If you have the money:

Gibson J-160E, Gibson J-45

Martin-D series, D-28, D-35, D-41, D-45

If you don't:

Many basic, sub-1,000 flattops are great. And used Gibsons. I really love Gibsons

the scary thing is he uses a humidifier religiously while i don't...

Did he put a humidifer inside of the guitar? You only want to do that if you are restoring moisture after the guitar is completely dried out.

For dealing with low humidity conditions Santa Cruz recommends:

Install the hygrometer on the body side of the outside of the accessory compartment of your case. Then humidify by placing the humidifier in the accessory compartment. This way the hygrometer will only read what moisture is available to the instrument not what is coming out of the humidifier. There are many good brands available, but keep in mind we don't recommend putting any of them in the guitar. Put the humidifiers in the accessory compartment and use 2, if necessary, to get the reading up on the hygrometer, which will be right next to the heel of the neck on the guitar. This way there can be no chance of leaking which will destroy the instrument. If you can't get the reading up, having the humidifiers in the accessory compartment, try putting one in under the headstock as well.

wow, delmar kurt, i saw your band a few times back in the whitewater days. halloween party, main street bar, the huddle, i love you guys

Wow! No kidding. The Whitewater shows back in the day were great. The Halloween shows both then and now are legendary.

We are recording a new album right now. Just laying some tracks last night.

del mar has pretty much been playing in Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. Trying to keep the travel to a minimum. Recent highlights have been our last Halloween show at the Crystal and Shank Hall with Lotus.

I noticed that you are living in Mil-town now. We should be back there sometime after the 1st of the year.

Edited by delmarkurt

might want to check out the Epiphone Masterbuilt series...they are built like Gibsons but by Chinese craftsmen. They are right around your price range. I played one that had a J-45 shape and it felt pretty close to my Gibson J-45.

for what it's worth...

Seagulls are very nice sounding guitars for the price. You can get a great seagull for 400-500. They are still buying market share, so you are getting a deal.

I have a seagull, It's actually pretty old. The serial number is around 2600 or so. It is awesome. The neck it wide and thin and the tone eats up most every 1000 + acoustic I've played or heard. I have to watch it because my band mates are in love with the tone and playability. I bought it from a lady who didn't want to fix the chipped nut and some basic wear and tear. Only 100 bucks. The new ones are pretty good also, but for some reason they are not the same quality tone as the one I have. But a seagull just kicks ass. I've spent years looking at pricy guitars, and I've only owned two acoustics that were both around a hundred dollars. Bu mine is a rare example because I worked for the lady and she had already bought another guitar, and mine had just been stolen so we were meant to do buisiness. Anyone looking seriously at good acoustics should also just pick up a costco Yamaha. They are awesome for the price. Elliott Smith was notorious for playing whole shows on an old 80's yamaha that was not a pricy buy. That's my two cents. My seagull is like a brother. HOep you check 'em out.

I find that for sound, playability and price you can't go wrong with a lower-end Martin. I've had a D-15 for years, and it's been a great guitar. I know some of the low end Martins are constructed of a laminate (looks black on the inside) which isn't necessarily desirable. Look for a solid top when getting an acoustic. That's quite important in the guitar's production of sound.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a little late for this. I just went to the guitar shop yesterday, played a bunch of top-line and mid-level guitars & can honestly say the best sounding/playing guitar was a $300 takamine Gseries Cedar top Dreadnaught guitar. I couldn't believe how good the tone was vs. other far more expensive guitars (e.g. Martins & Gibsons).

Edited by fortuneinmyhead
I find that for sound, playability and price you can't go wrong with a lower-end Martin. I've had a D-15 for years, and it's been a great guitar. I know some of the low end Martins are constructed of a laminate (looks black on the inside) which isn't necessarily desirable. Look for a solid top when getting an acoustic. That's quite important in the guitar's production of sound.

So so true my friend,I got my D-15 for 500 bucks,and the all mahogony is a deep rich tone,love it.Played many high dollar Martins,and this is still my fav. :cheers

Since it is after Christmas, this may be a moot point...

I also recommend the Seagull guitars, you get a lot of guitar for your money and they hold up well.

The guy I took lessons from is a total road warrior, something like 150-200+ nights out per year, and his gigging acoustic is a Seagull.

I would highly recommend combing the Music GoRound and reputable used music stores, I got a beautiful Alvarez-Yairi that plays great and sounds great for $250. This guitar is way better than anything I could have bought new for twice that amount.

I just bought a used takamine f340 on ebay so I can't attest to the sound just yet (still waiting for it in the mail). The older models of this guitar are basically a Martin D28 copy, w/ mahogany sides and a spruce top. Martin sued Takamine because the copies were a little too good.....you can find them around for between $250 - $400. The stuff I've read on the web has been very positive about the tone of these copies.

IMO, you won't find a better buy in that range than the Ovation CC026. I got mine for 280 with a very nice case. It plays very well, and sounds great. The sound is a little unique; you can hear each individual string very clearly, and it projects alot more. The aucostic sound of the CC026 is great, and plugged in is awesome. I would say you've got to try it in person first though; alot of people don't go in for Ovations for whatever reason.

I suppose it depends on the strings. I tend to use thicker gauges. I fingerpick just as much as I strum, and get a nice sound.

Keep in mind it's a mid-bowl I'm talking about. Most of the ones you see at stores are super-shallow. Ugh!