Tallahassee, FL -- 3/14/06

You can't start *and* end with a new song, can you? Especially in a city you've never played before? Apparently you can. They sounded great. :)

About the only thing that went wrong was Jeff breaking a string during Airline To Heaven. One of the worst times that could have happened since his strumming is the backbone of that song. Also, Nels somehow hurt his finger between the end of the main set and the beginning of the first encore so he was also somewhat hampered during Airline. Other than that -- and a couple of lyrical snafus for Jeff -- it was a fun, loose show...

Setlist as follows:

new song-Either Way

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Hell Is Chrome

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

IATTBYH

Forget The Flowers

Walken

Jesus, etc.

Via Chicago

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

--------------------------------

Airline To Heaven

Passenger Side

War On War

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

Misunderstood

new song--Is That The Thanks I Get?

You can't start *and* end with a new song, can you? Especially in a city you've never played before? Apparently you can. They sounded great. :)

About the only thing that went wrong was Jeff breaking a string during Airline To Heaven. One of the worst times that could have happened since his strumming is the backbone of that song. Also, Nels somehow hurt his finger between the end of the main set and the beginning of the first encore so he was also somewhat hampered during Airline. Other than that -- and a couple of lyrical snafus for Jeff -- it was a fun, loose show...

Setlist as follows:

new song-Either Way

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

A Shot in the Arm

Hell Is Chrome

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

IATTBYH

Forget The Flowers

Walken

Jesus, etc.

Via Chicago

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

Monday

Airline To Heaven

Passenger Side

War On War

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

Misunderstood

:thumbup thanks, paul!

... Nels somehow hurt his finger between the end of the main set and the beginning of the first encore so he was also somewhat hampered during Airline.

:no that's not good. I hope he's okay. :upset

I remember being a bit worried about him when he fell last May at the Vic.

First time for "Either Way?" I believe so. Please tell me it's an uptempo song?

What songs are you referring to as "rocking?" I'll give you the second half of "Walken," but none of the others that I've heard are anywhere near "rocking."

What songs are you referring to as "rocking?" I'll give you the second half of "Walken," but none of the others that I've heard are anywhere near "rocking."

I guess I meant more "Roll" than "rock", i.e. Walken and Is That The Thanks I Get.

Guest Diane

That was an amazing show last night at The Moon. I've just recently moved to Tallahassee and am shocked at the generally lame music scene, but now all is forgiven. This is the third time I've seen Wilco (I'm sure I'm a piker compared to the rest of you on this forum) and I think it was the best show so far. But what the hell was up with that guy in the dreadlocks from NY? Could he have been seriously insulted? Yeesh! Jeff was so damn sweet and understanding about so many in the crowd who weren't "properly" responsive. I loved the way he led us. I honestly think one of the things that made this show so special was that they really had to WORK to get that crowd going, but once they did, they had us in the palm of their hands. Thanks for posting the setlist, by the way.

That looks (sounds) like a great set list. Some new ones, mixing up the order as usual, ending the main set with Monday :dancing . Please come over to Europe...

Monday's pretty rocking isn't it? (or are you referring to just the new ones?...)

Edited by tonyblair
First time for "Either Way?" I believe so. Please tell me it's an uptempo song?
Second time.

It fits in with the other new songs, but not as rocking.

I had it down as the first time. What other time was it played?

I've been tagging all the new songs with a "new song" in the song title. You can search for them like this:

http://wilcobase.com/songs.php?song=new+song

I had it down as the first time. What other time was it played?

I've been tagging all the new songs with a "new song" in the song title. You can search for them like this:

http://wilcobase.com/songs.php?song=new+song

Unless I have a different "Either Way" in my iPod.

Chapel Hill- 03/06/06

Rob, you have it down as "Maybe The Sun Will Shine Today." Pretty sure it's the same song.

Guest Diane
Story?

I was up front on the floor, dead center about 6 people back from the stage. Some people off to my right (I couldn't see them) were apparently yelling out that they were from NY, and then Jeff made a comment about this guy in dreads pumping his arm in the air to a country song. It was funny! A couple of songs later someone passed a note up to him on the stage telling Jeff that he had pissed off his friend in the dreadlocks so he had left. Said he's been taking a lot of crap about his damn dreadlocks. What the #@?? Anyway, it became a running theme through the night--Jeff saying Hey what the hell? I didn't mean to insult your friend--I was making him a part of the show--he should be happy, etc. Finally--I think it was during the first encore--Mr. "Clueless in Dreadlocks" apparently returned to great huzzahs all around. It was a little strange but sort of fun to have this mini-drama as part of the show.

Also, Jeff's kind of fond of being an agent provocateur, isn't he? At another show I saw (in Norfolk, at the Norva) he was joking about someone trying to make an insulting gesture that was poorly executed--something between flipping the bird and the "hang loose" sign. He said, "What does that mean? Fuck me loosely?"

Unless I have a different "Either Way" in my iPod.

Chapel Hill- 03/06/06

Rob, you have it down as "Maybe The Sun Will Shine Today." Pretty sure it's the same song.

Yeah, Rob--"Either Way" is just how they have it listed on their setlist. Like Walken, it's just shorthand. I'm sure the actual title will be different. But when I referred to Either Way, I did mean that song that begins, "Maybe the sun will shine today." Same song.

It's a mid-tempo number, but keep in mind it's also still very much a work in progress...

Thanks for the story, Diane (and welcome to VC, too).

Jeff does like to banter with the crowd, and I've seen many occasions where he's been taken aback by someone taking his teasing personally. I'm so glad the dreadlocks guy got over it and came back! He would've definitely felt like an idiot the next day if he traveled all the way from NY and missed a great show due to a snit fit. :hmm

the commenting on the crowd is not a new thing. remember in iattbyh in the famous "your sister is cock" clip? jeff is talking about using the word "cock"when, all of the sudden, he stops and says, "whoa, look at your hair!" only a minute or so later, he ties the two together by pointing out the guy and saying, "THAT is cock!"

plus, didn't some get called out for an asthma attack at a show? "oh, it's you!" :omg oh wait...that was me. :blush :lol

Setlist as follows:

new song-Either Way

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

A Shot in the Arm

Hell Is Chrome

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

IATTBYH

Forget The Flowers

Walken

Jesus, etc.

Via Chicago

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

Monday

Airline To Heaven

Passenger Side

War On War

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

Misunderstood

Either Way is how it's written on the setlist (I got Pat's copy). Mikael autographed it and wrote in the edits for us. Is That the Thanks I Get is the title he wrote.

Also on the setlist but not played: Cars Can't Escape [replaced by Passenger Side]

Great show and great night for Wilco. I think they really enjoyed playing here, according to the band members we talked to afterwards.

the commenting on the crowd is not a new thing. remember in iattbyh in the famous "your sister is cock" clip? jeff is talking about using the word "cock"when, all of the sudden, he stops and says, "whoa, look at your hair!" only a minute or so later, he ties the two together by pointing out the guy and saying, "THAT is cock!"

plus, didn't some get called out for an asthma attack at a show? "oh, it's you!" :omg oh wait...that was me. :blush :lol

hehehe, i love the shifty nod he gives that dude on the dvd.. one of my favourite parts

Guest Diane
hehehe, i love the shifty nod he gives that dude on the dvd.. one of my favourite parts

Can't wait to see that! I've seen the movie in theaters twice but just ordered the DVD recently and am looking forward to all the extras.

Guest Diane

Just thought I'd post the review from the local paper, the Tallahassee Democrat. Sounds like the reviewer, Kati Schardl, is a new convert!

I'm a believer. I'm with the band. In fact, I have jumped on the bandwagon and settled in for the duration after seeing Wilco play a brilliant show Tuesday at the Moon.

The reality of the experience eclipsed every expectation and all pre-conceived notions. It was, quite simply, one of the most amazing rock 'n' roll shows I've seen in recent years.

Tweedy looked relaxed and happy to be there. His bandmates were in top form. And, lordy, how about that Nels Cline? The dude can do stuff on guitar that ought to be illegal. Cline's glorious noise, Tweedy's magnetic stage presence, the superb songs, excellent sound, great lights, a Moon full of folks who were ready to rawk - it was all so very, very good. The music was urgent, moving, gritty, joyous and majestic, sometimes in the space of one song.

Nobody wanted to leave, and that included the band. Wilco came back onstage for two encore sets. It was enough to satisfy even the most rabid fans. I speak as one newly converted to that status.

:worship