I saw The Virgin Suicides when it came out, read the book six months ago, and rewatched the film over the weekend.

:blink On a whim, I grabbed it out of the pile and watched it again for the first time since the theater this weekend. Oooohhhh, freaky, Sir S.

I didn't remember much about it, but I do remember being left with the same feeling of "there should have been more to this.....I should have connected to the characters....I should have had a strong emotional reaction when 4 young sisters off themselves in what should have been a grand gesture....."

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carnivales2dvd.jpg

I just finished the last episode of Carnivale and have already put the first season back on my Netflix queue. What a show! It's too bad it was cancelled. I really think this was the best of the HBO series - the mythology is so rich, the character development is well worth the wait, the cinematography is gorgeous...plus I now have a huge crush on Clancy Brown. Brother Justin is even greater a bad guy than Al Swearengen.

I don't have cable, and that looked pretty good. Netflicking now! Im watching the first season of this how-to right now:

various32.jpg

I don't have cable, and that looked pretty good. Netflicking now!

I don't have cable either (don't even have a tv), so I get all these shows from Netflix. I enjoy watching it that way a lot more - you can watch three hours at a time if you want (I've actually watched 5 hours of Carnivale in one sitting).

It's a great show, a little slow moving until you get to know the characters, but totally worth it. I watched an interview with Daniel Knauf (the creator) who compared it to reading a 700 page novel...if 50 pages into it you're saying "where's the car chase?", you've probably never read a 700 page novel. But that slow build up gives it a depth and richness that shorter books don't have.

He also said there's nothing worse than being 450 pages into a book and having some guy in an expensive suit and capped teeth take it from you and throw it out the car window (HBO :realmad ).

Enjoy!

3269poster.jpg

Tristram Shandy cracked me up. I thought it was great.

And I really loved The Virgin Suicides--maybe even more than Lost In Translation. I think it has something to do with how everything I liked about LIT was fairly conventional, while everything I loved about VS was fairly unconventional. Its flaws were easier to disregard.

And I really loved The Virgin Suicides--maybe even more than Lost In Translation. I think it has something to do with how everything I liked about LIT was fairly conventional, while everything I loved about VS was fairly unconventional. Its flaws were easier to disregard.

You just don't appreciate cinema.

On September 19, i'll be watching this...

B000HEZC7U.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60036207_.jpg

Out on DVD for the first time w/ a bonus disc full of stuff.

Disc 1 is the same as the 1994 VHS release. The video has been cleaned up to todays DVD standards and the sound has been upgraded as well. The sound is available in Dolby Digital 2.0 (Linear PCM Sound), Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

Extra Disc:

'Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World' (4:19) is an edit of several concerts from the ZooTV Tour.

Bonus track 2 is 'Desire' (5:18) from the well-known 'Zoo TV Special' filmed in New York's Yankee Stadium, recorded to promote the ZooTV-Tour.

The Fly' (4:37) and 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' (4:23) are recordings from the Stop Sellafield Concert from 19 June 1992 in Manchester. Both songs have only recently been released on the single for 'City Of Blinding Lights'.

Documentaries:

'A Fistful of Zoo TV' (7:50) is an edit of various scenes from the ZooTV era, while a text tracker informs about the materials used for the stage, PA and

so on. Brief snippets of Mr. MacPhisto are included in the mix, as well as a reference to the ZooTV Confessionals, which are another extra on the DVD.

Zoo TV - The Inside Story (4:11)

Brian Eno and The Edge explain how the idea for ZooTV developed from the video for 'The Fly'.

Trabantland (7:45)

This is the story of the 'Trabbie' and U2's love for it during the time. Paul McGuinness, Anton Corbijn, Bono and others comment.

Extras::

The 'Video Confessional' was located within the standing area of the stadium shows, and fans were invited to 'confess' - the results being broadcast onto the big screens during the encore break of the show. This extra is an edit of people from all over the world.

Numb Karaoke (4:13)

A special version of the 'Numb Video Remix' to sing along to! Edge's voice has been cut from the mix, while Bono's (and Larry's) vocals remain in the background.

DVD-Rom:

Inserting DVD 2 into your PC or Mac gives you access to the CD-Rom Extras. These contain two screen savers and four background pictures for different screen sizes.

Easter Eggs:

One of the Easter Eggs is the 24-minute documentary about U2's history, as originally featured on the 'Achtung Baby - The Videos, the cameos and a whole lot of interference from ZOO TV' video release under the name 'Interference'. Another Easter Egg is a video (1:15) with pictures about nuclear weapons

and war. More interesting is the third video (4:16) showing a sped-up version of the setting up and taking down of the ZooTV indoor stage.

I'm extremely excited about this, i've been waiting for a DVD version of this forever.

I had an intitial falling out w/ U2 when Achtung first came out and by the time I realized the error of my ways...this tour had already passed me by. So, even though i'm not supposed to be, i'm pretty psyched. I didn't want to buy the VHS and then, as it is now, have it come out on DVD.

I saw the second worst movie I've ever seen in a theater last night. Beltmann, don't think any less of me, but we went to see Crank. I thought, at best it would be a Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels knockoff, at worst it would be an entertainingly brainless action flick. It was SO bad. Yes it was all action, but the horrendous excuse for dialog even ruined the entertainment value of car chases through malls, sex on a city street, fighting on the rails of helicopters.....it was utterly ridiculous.

Al's words upon the credits rolling: "Sorry."

Al's words on the way out of the theater: "It's good to see they're giving 7th graders the chance to write scripts."

Loud obnoxious entourage of girls on the way out of the theater: "That was AWESOME! I'm gonna buy that when in comes on DVD and watch it after smoking eight fat blunts!"

FYI, worst movie I ever saw in a theater: Last Man Standing. We walked out.