It's a shame. He my favorite rock singer dude - but I guess he does what he does.

That Faces thing is on VH1 classic again tomorrow at 2 pm. I still don't have a way to record it, but maybe someone else does.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I was at the Milwaukee International Film Festival, and between screenings I was hanging out in the lobby of the Oriental Theater with another festival hopper. Suddenly she said, "Hey, it's the Maestro!"

Sure enough, Mark Metcalf, who played the Maestro on Seinfeld, was ambling through the lobby. I turned to my acquaintance and said, "And he's with Harold Ramis."

Ramis was in town to introduce a screening of Groundhog Day, part of this festival's tribute to his career. As he neared, I said hello, and as luck would have it, his festival guide asked him to wait right there while the upstairs conference readied for him. This meant that my acquaintance and I had ten minutes alone with Ramis in the lobby of the Oriental.

We talked briefly about books and what it takes to be a filmmaker, and he seemed genuinely friendly and responsive to what I had to say. He was particularly interested in which books I teach in American Literature, perhaps because his own son is 16 and is currently reading similar titles.

Eventually he was asked to head upstairs, and as we shook hands I said, like a lame-o, "Thanks for Ghostbusters!"

Yesterday I was at the Milwaukee International Film Festival, and between screenings I was hanging out in the lobby of the Oriental Theater with another festival hopper. Suddenly she said, "Hey, it's the Maestro!"

Sure enough, Mark Metcalf, who played the Maestro on Seinfeld, was ambling through the lobby. I turned to my acquaintance and said, "And he's with Harold Ramis."

Ramis was in town to introduce a screening of Groundhog Day, part of this festival's tribute to his career. As he neared, I said hello, and as luck would have it, his festival guide asked him to wait right there while the upstairs conference readied for him. This meant that my acquaintance and I had ten minutes alone with Ramis in the lobby of the Oriental.

We talked briefly about books and what it takes to be a filmmaker, and he seemed genuinely friendly and responsive to what I had to say. He was particularly interested in what books I teach in American Literature, perhaps because his own son is 16 and is currently reading similar titles.

Eventually he was asked to head upstairs, and as we shook hands I said, like a lame-o, "Thanks for Ghostbusters!"

:lol

How cool! I bet he'd be fun to have a drink with. Groundhog Day's one of my favorites! You were in the right place at the right time, Eric! :cheers

I finally saw that Dawn 'o' the Dead remake on USA last night too...pretty fun. I also read someplace that Rob Zombie is doing a remake of Halloween, which was on AMC last night as well. I've enjoyed his past two films, but i'm not sure one could remake that flick w/ suitable results.

I am officially sick of Chris Berman.

Later:

B00005O5CA.jpg

I heart the Netflix.

Thanks again to Beltmann for his spot-on Halloween recommendations.

Last night:

eyes-without-face-2.jpg

Truly disturbing and masterful work by Georges Franju. The daughter of a reknowned surgeon has been horrifically disfigured in a car accident, and young ladies around Paris begin disappearing, perhaps for science. Especially impressive for its creepy surgery scenes, since it was made in 1959. An accompanying documentary on Paris slaughterhouses made years earlier by Franju (thank you Criterion!) sheds light onto his abilities in making those scenes work. Great acting all around. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Final Destination. What a POS.

I enjoyed it--but almost exclusively for its set pieces. The story and characters are forgettable.

thankyouforsmoking_l200602031126.jpg

I took a solemn oath to watch this movie at Fakeliz's insistance.

I wish it had a little more bite, but the lesson on how easy it is to "spin" any notion, regardless of how heinous, was well worth the watch.

Hilariously funny, but I found myself being self conscious about my laughter.

I am thinking of watching "Marie Antoinette" by Sophia Coppola next,

eatingma.jpg

Has somebody here watched it?

I've already listened to its soundtrack, and the music is a really curious combination. You can access to the soundtrack via my blog: Jake Weird Blog :music

I watched Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter last night. Probably the worst movie I've seen in years. I remember enjoying this when I was 12. But there's little to no gore in each death scene, and the dialogue is so horrendous that there should have been a mention somewhere of the stupid pills every character took before the film started. Look, I know it's a slasher flick, but I expected a tiny bit more. Everything about it was bang-your-head-against-the-wall awful. Major continuity errors didn't help either. Not even the presence of Crispin Glover and lil' Corey Feldman made it better.

I watched Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter last night. Probably the worst movie I've seen in years. I remember enjoying this when I was 12. But there's little to no gore in each death scene, and the dialogue is so horrendous that there should have been a mention somewhere of the stupid pills every character took before the film started. Look, I know it's a slasher flick, but I expected a tiny bit more. Everything about it was bang-your-head-against-the-wall awful. Major continuity errors didn't help either. Not even the presence of Crispin Glover and lil' Corey Feldman made it better.

:hmm That's in my Top 10 of 'flicks so bad they're fantastic.' However, pound for pound, I find that Friday the 13th 3-D was the best of the bunch.

thankyouforsmoking_l200602031126.jpg

I took a solemn oath to watch this movie at Fakeliz's insistance.

I wish it had a little more bite, but the lesson on how easy it is to "spin" any notion, regardless of how heinous, was well worth the watch.

Hilariously funny, but I found myself being self conscious about my laughter.

We have that from Netflix. I plan to watch it this week sometime.

The Milwaukee International Film Festival ran October 19-29. Over those 11 days I managed to see 25 features and 6 short films; in previous years I have emphasized documentaries, shorts, and regional films, but this year I made a point to shift focus onto world fiction features. In preferential order:

Cream of the crop

Requiem / Hans-Christian Schmid / Germany / 2006

The Queen / Stephen Frears / UK / 2006

Mary / Abel Ferrera / USA / 2005

Very Good

Five Minutes, Mr. Welles / Vincent D