we turned off trhe producers 15 minutes in...both Lane and Broderick made me want to slit my wrists they were so annoying. horrible.

I haven't seen it yet, but that's how the trailer made me feel.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

car.jpg

I liked this movie. Some have described it as an Italian Mean Girls, but that's a stretch--this film is far more interested in political rather than social satire. The tone is more melancholic, too, especially in its sad, compassionate depiction of the father, who is envious of others' power and respect and feels made impotent by divisive Italian politics: "We're the victims in all this!" (Plus, the father is played by Sergio Castellitto, who I always enjoy seeing.)

Watched about half of V for Vendetta yesterday evening, but couldn't really get into it. Is it worth my time to watch the rest of it?? Anyone?

i like the movie a lot, but if you're not digging the first half you probably won't dig the second half. :hmm

i really liked it, i have no idea how it really ended, but i think that's intentional, it wasn't very focused on the plot. and the film itself was just beautiful to watch.

:thumbup nice, i've been intrigued.

B0006N2EJQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That was a lovely film, in my opinion.

Arrested Development Season 3 finally starts on BBC 2 tonight, so I'll probably watch the Season 2 finale again on DVD before I watch it.

I just finished watching the last episode of Season 3 on DVD. I can't believe it's over! What a fantastic show. It's going to sit sparkling in my mind along with The Office as examples of shows that ended long long LONG before I'd had enough.

Is anyone watching this season of The Wire?

Anyone here ever seen anything by Jan Svankmajer? Netflix recommends him because I like Werner Herzog, David Lynch, City of Lost Children and Belle de Jour. I was just wondering how his films compare to any of these and suggestions for where to start.

I liked this movie. Some have described it as an Italian Mean Girls, but that's a stretch--this film is far more interested in political rather than social satire. The tone is more melancholic, too, especially in its sad, compassionate depiction of the father, who is envious of others' power and respect and feels made impotent by divisive Italian politics: "We're the victims in all this!" (Plus, the father is played by Sergio Castellitto, who I always enjoy seeing.)

Yeah, I liked it too. Especially Sergio Castellitto. He was fabulous.

Anyone here ever seen anything by Jan Svankmajer? Netflix recommends him because I like Werner Herzog, David Lynch, City of Lost Children and Belle de Jour. I was just wondering how his films compare to any of these and suggestions for where to start.

I'm a little ambivalent towards Svankmajer, but I would recommend the moody comic rhythms of Little Otik to anyone who likes Lynch or City of Lost Children. Svankmajer updates an old Czech fable about the dark side of parental instinct: A childless couple carves a play infant out of a tree stump, but soon the

Thanks, I'll give it a try. His version of Faust sounds interesting too. It seems (from what I've read on imdb) there's a lot of stop motion in his films, which I'm not a big fan of, but I am intrigued by his retelling of fairy tales/Poe/Lewis Carroll.

It seems (from what I've read on imdb) there's a lot of stop motion in his films, which I'm not a big fan of,

Yeah, he's best known for his animation innovations. While it incorporates some (pretty damn creepy) stop-motion, Little Otik still relies more on live-action than anything else I've seen by him. He also emphasizes the fable's psychological aspects, downplaying the horror for long stretches.

I haven't seen his Faust, and didn't care for his version of Alice (but if you like surreal stuff you might dig it). There's also a collection of Svankmajer short films out on DVD that's worth checking out.