Those are both good, but I treasure my Ed Wood box set wrapped in actual pink angora.

That's fucking awesome...as is the Goodfellas cigar. I watched that for the 67th time on TBS this past weekend...much like Ferris Bueller, it's one of those movies I will stop on and watch in it's entirety EVERY time I flip to it.

If they ever released a promotional 'Six Demon Bag' along w/ 'Big Trouble in Little China'...I would probably trade both the twins for it. I'm still thinking about dropping a few hundy for this:

finished_jacket02.jpg

but may just settle for this:

tee_egg.jpg

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, by all accounts Infamous is in the same ballpark as Capote, quality-wise, and a lot of people are saying that Toby Jones' performance might be the equal of Hoffman's. Reportedly it covers similar but different territory than Capote, dwelling more on his social life during the same time period. (Production was already well underway at the time of Capote's release.)

And James Bond plays Perry Smith.

zchannel.jpg

Watched this today. I never even knew this channel existed, much less was aware of the influence it had on a seemingly large number of Hollywood-types. The film was not as much about Jerry Harvey the man as it was about the movies he loved and how his obsession created what sounds like it was a pretty fantastic channel. All in all, a solid little documentary.

picture.jpg

Ostensibly Glory Road is about how UTEP fielded five black starters in the 1966 NCAA championship game, but I think it's really about Josh Lucas

B000CGXK8G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was actually much more interesting than I thought it would be. It's beautifully shot and has some really insighful observations on the south by Jim White. I didn't care much for the other musicians in the film (Handsome Family, Johnny Dowd), but I was really impressed with David Eugene Edwards' (16 Horsepower) performance on banjo in the middle of the woods.

This was really VERY good.

Never heard any of Jim White's material before but will definitely be checking it out due to this film. I dug all of the performances throughout.

Hard to describe, not exactly a documentary. Parts were staged for effect. One of the best surprises for me were the David Johansen performances; (yeah, THAT David Johansen).

I recommend going back and listening to the commentary also as it's very insightful.

NW

longest-day-DVDcover.jpg

Never seen it. 3+ hours and I'm about half way through. Pretty good stuff.

manderlay.jpg

I have yet to form any firm opinions about this sequel to Dogville, except that I was never bored and Bryce Dallas Howard is no Nicole Kidman.

Big Bob Mitchum rocks Omaha Beach in this one. :rock :rock :rock

longestday302.jpeg

Brigadier General Norman Cota: I don't have to tell you the story. You all know it. Only two kinds of people are gonna stay on this beach: those that are already dead and those that are gonna die. Now get off your butts. You guys are the Fighting 29th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

longestday307.jpeg

Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort: You can't give the enemy a break. Send him to hell

poseidon_p.jpg

Any flick featuring Kurt Russell is pretty much a gurantee for at least three stars, but this movie was pretty entertaining over and above that. The in-sequence shooting, elaborate non-CGI sets and actors doing most of their own stunts made for a fun time. Good renter.

B000FAOCEU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52032225_.jpg

Watched it last night and wow...just wow. Sir S was right. Peformance-wise, there is nothing like seeing the B-boys completely on point and repping NYC at Madison Square Garden. They still rock a mic like nobody's biz-natch and, like I thought, the much maligned 5 Burroughs shit live showed me just how right I was that album was awesome. Even better, was the different take on some of the classics via Mixmaster Mike, who (as always) was just insane.

Even if you're not a huge fan, the whole concept behind the film (footage was mostly compiled by 50 fans w/ video cameras) and the resulting piece of film are so much fun to watch. If you're music fan in general, you'll get just how cool this whole project was and the love that went into it. I've seen a lot of concert videos, but this one is probably the most fun i've had watching one.

The extras are awesome too. The fan clips from their world tour were mad funny and the opening videos from some Aussie festivals where Mixmaster Mike has to weather a gunfight w/ Slipknot to get the show vinyl (you just have to see it). 'A Day in the Life of Nathaniel Hornblower' starring David Cross as MCA's 'uncle' was hilarious. I even watched the whole show again w/ the band commentary...Mike D and Adrock are great on that.

Big ups. Four Gold Stars.

I saw The Virgin Suicides when it came out, read the book six months ago, and rewatched the film over the weekend.

I felt pretty much the same way about it this time: Sofia Coppola fell in love with the book and attempted to recreate the fantastical qualities of the text, and failed, leaving us with a dry, detached telefilm-quality movie about suicide, interspersed with shampoo ads from the 70s. How she went directly from this to the completely affecting Lost In Translation has to lie in her writing the latter from scratch (I think she did, anyway).

carnivales2dvd.jpg

I just finished the last episode of Carnivale and have already put the first season back on my Netflix queue. What a show! It's too bad it was cancelled. I really think this was the best of the HBO series - the mythology is so rich, the character development is well worth the wait, the cinematography is gorgeous...plus I now have a huge crush on Clancy Brown. Brother Justin is even greater a bad guy than Al Swearengen.