Watched a film called Junebug last night. A bittersweet comedy of manners and choices, about a boy from the sticks taking his enormo-cultured wife home to meet his family for the first time. Cultures clash with much merriment asking the charaters to make choices like in Doc Hollywood, or Cars for that matter - stay or go? However, it never descends into farce like Meet The Parents, as its injected with a bit more of a homespun charm like Napoleon Dynamite - but again the comedy isn't played for laughs quite as brashly, and the dramatic moments are quite emotional and touching too.

Music by Yo La Tengo, cameo from Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, what more could you ask for?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a film called Junebug last night. Cultures clash with much merriment asking the charaters to make choices like in Doc Hollywood, or Cars for that matter - stay or go? However, it never descends into farce like Meet The Parents, as its injected with a bit more of a homespun charm like Napoleon Dynamite -

Although the plots share surface similarities, the understated tone of Junebug is really nothing like Doc Hollywood or Napolean Dynamite--a better comparison might be to something like You Can Count On Me, another study of characters, words, and emotions that tempers its humor with undercurrents of disappointment and regret.

documentary called Go Further................this is good shit

And there playing Cali Stars

Edited by oceanman
I vote for Rosemary's Baby.

For my money, it's The Shining.

three_extremes11.jpg

Three... Extremes is an omnibus film of three intense short films by three of Asia's best-known filmmakers. My favorite was probably Park Chan-Wook's Cut, which had the guts to be funny as well as seriously twisted.

The first one' date=' "Dumplings," may be unwatchable for some people when they figure out what's actually going on. There could be walk-outs. Some of those who wait until the end may wish they'd left with the others; the movie's closing image is depraved on a scale that might have shocked the surrealists. I say this not in opposition but simply as an observation.[/quote']

I've got to pick that up.

Thanks to VC recommendations, I rented The Wire: Season One and after sitting down to watch the first episode while I ate dinner, I ended up watching 5 instead. I'm totally hooked and can't wait to see what happens. I believe I'll crank out a few more tonight.

Very much looking forward to The Departed.

Not only because I worked as an extra on it last summer, but because now that I've seen the trailer, it looks like it could be the best Scorsese movie in a decade.

That's an American remake of the Hong Kong flick Infernal Affairs, which is really good. Have you seen it, SS?

Beltmann, I watched Rush Hour 2 again this weekend. That's some powerful motherfucking chemistry going on in that flick and it's got Alan Fucking King! If you haven't seen it already, you should check it out.

I've got the DVD!!! (I actually really love Jackie Chan. I heard Chan and Jet Li are planning a movie together, so that's pretty rad.)