anyone here a fan of Open All Hours??.

i've been watching the dvds a lot in the last week since i finally found series 4.

its based on a tight-arse, stuttering shopkeeper, his suffering nephew and the nurse with the big bazooka's over the road to which he's engaged to, but doesnt get very far with.

g-g-g-g granville... fetch yer cloth

:lol Yeah, they repeat it on tv pretty often in England. It's classic British Comedy. Although, I think Ronnie Barker is a bit better in Porridge (or at least the storylines are better), and David Jason can only ever be Del Boy from Only Fools And Horses in my eyes

onlyfools.jpg

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picture.jpg

Clerks II is the first Kevin Smith movie I've enjoyed since Chasing Amy. There's something familiar and comfortable about Smith's good-natured filth--even if he finally goes too far with the donkey show, in my perhaps prudish opinion--partially because this time he finds the right strains of heart and sincerity to give the raunch context. Plus, the movie has an appealing slacker rhythm, a tone that feels less forced and less cartoonish than in any Smith movie since, well, Clerks. It earns more goodwill than I anticipated.

I actually might like this movie more than I liked Clerks, if you'll believe it. It wasn't as deliberatly paced, which has always been my biggest problem with Clerks (Which is probably my 4th favorite Kevin Smith movie after Chasing Amy, Mallrats, and Dogma). The original clerks has that indie-film "this shot means nothing, but we are including it and showing it for far too long just because we can. ha!" feel. This movie definetly feels like it had a purpose, and it had just the right balance of heart and humor to work. You can obviously tell that Kevin Smith has matured, and while the Donkey Show scene was just a bit cartoonish, for the most part, it is his most mature movie since Chasing Amy, with less needless raunch than Jay And Silent Bob.

And Rosario Dawson was stunning.

:lol Yeah, they repeat it on tv pretty often in England. It's classic British Comedy. Although, I think Ronnie Barker is a bit better in Porridge (or at least the storylines are better), and David Jason can only ever be Del Boy from Only Fools And Horses in my eyes

onlyfools.jpg

yeah i like porridge and fools & horses too, but ronnie seems to do the trick in this show.

"are you in there my s-sleeping beauty... err, prince ch-ch-ch-charming out here" :lol

The news. I want to slap the happy right off Kid Rock's smug, self-satisfied face.

Went to see A Scanner Darkly last night. The rotoscope animation that added so much to the dreamworld of Waking Life quickly became distracting and gimmicky in this more linear and dramatic story. Except the scramble suits. Those were cool.

Saw Miami Vice opening night. Awesome flick. Stupid dialogue, ridiculous love scenes, terrible music (at least twice I thought 'Audioslave again?!'), spectacular action sequences, cool acting, breathtaking scenery. Intoxicating. Also, the most faithful film adaptation of a television series ever. That in itself is quite remarkable.

Went to see A Scanner Darkly last night. The rotoscope animation that added so much to the dreamworld of Waking Life quickly became distracting and gimmicky in this more linear and dramatic story. Except the scramble suits. Those were cool.

Saw Miami Vice opening night. Awesome flick. Stupid dialogue, ridiculous love scenes, terrible music (at least twice I thought 'Audioslave again?!'), spectacular action sequences, cool acting, breathtaking scenery. Intoxicating. Also, the most faithful film adaptation of a television series ever. That in itself is quite remarkable.

i thought that the animation didn't move so much in this film as it did in waking life. i noticed that the backgrounds weren't as wavy, so to speak, as they did in waking life. i didn't get the feeling i was on a boat.

i'm about to get into the first season of soap when i finish my book.

On several occassions, I ran directly towards a reef shark in less than 3 feet of water just to see what it would do.

So, small stinging insects scare you but man eating fish do not?

Wanted to see A Scanner Darkly last night at the cool "indie" theatre in the area, but unfortunately Woody Allen's "Scoop" had taken its place. Even Scarlett couldn't save this one. Boring and dumb.

I watched 'Jaws 3-D' on AMC a few weeks ago and found it to be even more exciting w/out the assistance of any three-dimensional eyewear.

Agreed. The climax shot of "Jaws" smashing through the observation window is pure ejaculate of kitsch.

I never knew that song wasn't sung by De Barge. :blink Who the F is READY FOR THE WORLD???

readyfortheworld.jpg

A Michigan funk band with slight rock leanings, Ready for the World parlayed Melvin Riley's whining vocals and some trendy production into a pair of number one R&B hits in the mid-'80s for MCA. Riley, Gordon Strozier, Gregory Potts, Willie Triplett, John Eaton, and Gerald Valentine began on their own Blue Lake label before signing with MCA. The label reissued the song "Tonight," and it reached number six on the R&B charts in 1984. They followed it with "Deep Inside Your Love," another Top Ten R&B single, then had their first of two chart-toppers in "Oh Sheila." It got them a huge crossover smash, ultimately topping the pop lists as well. They scored their fourth consecutive Top Ten R&B record with "Digital Display," then had two flop singles before "Love You Down" put them back on top of the R&B world in 1986. It was their last hit and peaked at number nine pop.