• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once.gif

First time seeing this one. Pretty epic and a great western.

I have a thing for Clint though and I think I like the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly a bit more

Went to the Cambridge Film Festival over the weekend and caught a stack of films.

ScienceOfSleep_bildgross.jpg

By far, my favourite was The Science Of Sleep by Michael Gondry. Funny, intelligent, weird and wonderful in equal measure. And it looked fantastic, though it was, in places, very apparent that he graduated from music vidoes!

Also caught the UK premiere of Terry Gilliam's Tideland which was very, very weird. He was there and spoke a little bit about the film at the start and then did a Q&A afterwards. Comes across exactly as you'd imagine him to! He said Michael Palin had called it either his worst film to date or best film to date. Raises all kinds of questions about sanity, children, underage romance... all spun in his unique vision.

6305225761.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Henry Fonda is an officer aboard a cargo ship in the Pacific who clashes with the ship's captain, an incompetent egomaniac. Since it's partially about the doldrums of wartime, there's plenty of room for director John Ford to indulge his usual taste for blustery macho shenanigans. But Ford quit the project halfway through and was replaced by Mervyn LeRoy, which might account for why the film finally centers on the psychology of three likable characters: Fonda's increasingly agitated officer, Jack Lemmon's hapless, lecherous Ensign Pulver, and William Powell's witty, wizened Doc. For the most part, I enjoyed it.

the new john fogerty dvd in the background... the guy's in his early 60s, but he looks and sounds my age.

I was impressed with his voice when he was on Jools Holland a couple of months ago. Of the crop of 60 year old rockers, he really is still doing it just like he used to.

I will be watching this tonight

896249m.jpg

I will be watching this tonight

896249m.jpg

Haneke is a fascinating director--among many great films, I think I like Funny Games best of all. (An American remake is planned, with Haneke himself directing.)

Gonna get good and baked and watch Apocolypse Now (Redux). I love the additional stuff they put in there

I watched that not long ago. For one of the best movies ever, it sure has a Cheez-Its stuffed score.

896249m.jpg

I didn't realize Stallone was in that.

Fell asleep in the middle (because it was too late, not that it was too boring), so watching the rest of

306229.jpg

Not too shabby, but some of the documentary spots between performances are wayyyy too long. However, the music so far from Kanye, Dead Prez, Blackstar, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu is absolutely stellar...I haven't even gotten to The Roots feat. Big Daddy Kane & Kool G Rap and/or The Fugees yet.

'Attention Huxtables...there's a block party this Saturday just around the corner...tell Rudy!' :lol

picture.jpg

Clerks II is the first Kevin Smith movie I've enjoyed since Chasing Amy. There's something familiar and comfortable about Smith's good-natured filth--even if he finally goes too far with the donkey show, in my perhaps prudish opinion--partially because this time he finds the right strains of heart and sincerity to give the raunch context. Plus, the movie has an appealing slacker rhythm, a tone that feels less forced and less cartoonish than in any Smith movie since, well, Clerks. It earns more goodwill than I anticipated.

Today, I saw Rush, one of those idiots from The Barenaked Ladies, and that dude with the pop bottle glasses from The Trailer Park Boys play Closer To The Heart.

anyone here a fan of Open All Hours??.

i've been watching the dvds a lot in the last week since i finally found series 4.

its based on a tight-arse, stuttering shopkeeper, his suffering nephew and the nurse with the big bazooka's over the road to which he's engaged to, but doesnt get very far with.

g-g-g-g granville... fetch yer cloth