140498.png

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a very good time despite being utterly disposable. Nothing really matters during the film beyond the present moment, but Robert Downey, Jr. gives one of his most likable, amusing performances, the lightning dialogue is to be cherished, and writer-director Shane Black conceived some very funny situations--the best scenes are those that tweak the conventions of film noir, and I'm dying to work "Why in pluperfect hell did you pee on the corpse?" into my casual conversation.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beltmann, do you know where I could find a solid copy of Johnny Sokko & His Giant Robot on DVD?

Is this it?

I think an official region 1 DVD release of the entire series came out just last week, though.

Leonard Part 6.

I see your Leonard Part 6 and raise you Krippendorf's Tribe.

Finally saw a bunch of Chappelle's Show Season One.

Ummm, this is the good season, they say? :ermm

Maybe there was something about catching these episodes when they aired...

I actually thought Season Two was better, but I liked a lot of Season One too.

I can see practically every punchline coming down 42nd Street twenty blocks away.

Oh, c'mon...The Real World sketch, the 8-mile spoof ('Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti'), the Black White Supremist, Pop Copy, Wu-Tang Financial, The Player Haters Ball, Trading Spouses...some of it's kind of lowbrow, but it's the delivery that gets me every time. Besides, it's worth owning for the musical bit where Dave and Mos Def cruise around while Mos Def freestyles...still one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

I don't know, the more I post about it...I thought Season One was pretty damn good actually.

the musical bit where Dave and Mos Def cruise around while Mos Def freestyles...still one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

That shit was straight up insane.

And the other skits you mentioned all at least had a few good laughs.

But at least 80% of the stuff I watched was about as funny as the spoof on What Women Want, where women can hear what men are thinking. And hoo-hoo, they all are thinking about SEX!! Oh no he din't! And there's a ten year old boy! Well, surely he's not gonna be thinking about --Holy crap! He's the dirtiest thinker of them all!! I didn't fucking see that coming!!!!!

Sorry. It's the heat.

Watched this earlier this morning. It came free with The Sunday Times newspaper. They've given away quite a few good dvd's each week recently, shame I had all the other ones already, but this one I didn't.

RSAM250.jpg

The non Rolling Stones sections were not as dull as I thought they might be, so it was pretty enjoyable. I can see why Godard didn't like them tacking the final version of Sympathy For The Devil on the end, or rather you could see he had nothing to do with it as it broke the mood of the film for some reason.

So I'm watching Saw II. This movie is terrible, and affirms my belief that with the exception of Zombie movies, the horror genre peaked with The Thing.

My friends are giving me shit for not wanting to watch it. Faced with the choice of Wilco on the Webcast or Saw II, it's not even a question. I'll be antisocial 10 times out of 10.

So I'm watching Saw II. This movie is terrible, and affirms my belief that with the exception of Zombie movies, the horror genre peaked with The Thing.

Yeah, Saw II sucks. I don't really like Carpenter's The Thing, either, but since that film came out, many of the best horror films have been made abroad. Off the top of my head: Funny Games, Memento Mori, Little Otik, Kairo, Save the Green Planet!, A Tale of Two Sisters, Wolf Creek. I'm surely forgetting a lot of other good ones, and there's been some good American stuff just under the mainstream radar, too. And the British The Descent looks promising.

Actually, Kairo has just been remade here as Pulse, and Funny Games is about to be remade, with Naomi Watts and the original director (Michael Haneke, who, for my money, is one of the most interesting directors alive).

Yeah, Saw II sucks. I don't really like Carpenter's The Thing, either, but since that film came out, many of the best horror films have been made abroad. Off the top of my head: Funny Games, Memento Mori, Little Otik, Kairo, Save the Green Planet!, A Tale of Two Sisters, Wolf Creek. I'm surely forgetting a lot of other good ones, and there's been some good American stuff just under the mainstream radar, too. And the British The Descent looks promising.

Actually, Kairo has just been remade here as Pulse, and Funny Games is about to be remade, with Naomi Watts and the original director (Michael Haneke, who, for my money, is one of the most interesting directors alive).

I didn't like Wolf Creek too much. And I almost saw the Descent today, but I decided against. I'm not a big horror movie fan anyways.