• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have. I enjoyed it. Does this one look good to you?

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but when they announced the project I was pleased to see the pedigree... I'd go see a Scorsese movie even if all I knew about it was that it was a Scorsese movie.

EDIT: Just checked out the trailer. Looks like he maintained the main premise of the original, but amped it up considerably. Hopefully he also kept the psychological aspects (which, I'm guessing, was probably the appeal for him in the first place). Can't wait. If I remember right, your scene was on a subway, wasn't it?

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but when they announced the project I was pleased to see the pedigree... I'd go see a Scorsese movie even if all I knew about it was that it was a Scorsese movie.

EDIT: Just checked out the trailer. Looks like he maintained the main premise of the original, but amped it up considerably. Hopefully he also kept the psychological aspects (which, I'm guessing, was probably the appeal for him in the first place). Can't wait. If I remember right, your scene was on a subway, wasn't it?

Not sure what to make of the remake... really enjoyed the original, thought it was a fantastic film. Did anyone see the sequels?? They made another 2 if I remember correctly.

Not sure what to make of the remake... really enjoyed the original, thought it was a fantastic film. Did anyone see the sequels?? They made another 2 if I remember correctly.

I've seen Infernal Affairs 2 - which is actually a prequel - and that was as good as the first Infernal Affairs. I believe part 3 is ropier but haven't seen it myself.

War of the Worlds (Spielberg, Cruise)

Not bad, it had some pretty tense moments, especially the 30 minutes or so that Cruise and his kids spend escaping from the city. It has very little in common with the Orson Wells radio play. I can't remember enough of the H.G. Wells novel to know if it's more faithful to that storyline -- I have a vague recollection that the Tim Robbins guy-in-basement subplot comes from the book -- anyone know?

For all the praise Dakota Fanning gets, I really did not like her in this movie. I think she overacted. The kid who played Cruise's son did a nice job, though.

new_police_story_affiche.jpg

Word?! I'll have to look out for that.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, I watched New Police Story last night. It doesn't have anything to do with his previous Police Story cycle (Supercop, First Strike, etc.), but it's definitely in the same vein. I liked it... plenty of plot, plenty of clever stunts. And while no one's ever accused Jackie Chan of being a great actor, here you can see him really trying, and it's not bad at all.

Sweet! I'll try and get that into the rotation.

While we're talking Kung-Fu, i'd like to submit, hands-down, the trailers for the two best films ever made and the best thing i've ever found on youtube:

BADASS, BUT NOT AT ALL WORK SAFE.

I'm not even joking either.

:rotfl

"He think he bad, ain't got no class! I'm gonna rap this shotgun up his mu-tha fuck-in ass!"

This is a modern trailer, but a great old film: for your height only

(this is work friendly, pretty much anyway)

2006_v_for_vendetta_poster_003.jpg

Watched it last night. Definitely pleasing from a visual POV and the unraveling of the whole conspiracy hooked me...for a while. Near the end, the whole thing just kind of fizzled out and by the time they made clear what had actually happened, I had already guessed it. Entertaining, but nothing special (IMO).

B0009W5KHW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Much better than the original The Eye. The story concerns a lonely pregnant woman who sees dead people, and I liked the way the movie exists entirely from her point-of-view--since we

B000CGXK8G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was actually much more interesting than I thought it would be. It's beautifully shot and has some really insighful observations on the south by Jim White. I didn't care much for the other musicians in the film (Handsome Family, Johnny Dowd), but I was really impressed with David Eugene Edwards' (16 Horsepower) performance on banjo in the middle of the woods.

I've also been watching

B0006GVK0M.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

What the hell is wrong with HBO? This was a great show.

Edited by jahilia

Saw this over the weekend:

B000E6TVSW.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55896246_.jpg

And not sure what to think of it... and I don't think the film knew what it wanted to be either. Johnny Depp was as watchable as ever, and the life and times of the Earl of Rochester are certainly interesting, but this never really held together as a film for me. Nicely made, but the script and storylines were linear but jumped forward too many times without letting the watcher know what happned...

Has anyone seen Brothers of the Head?

brothers.jpg

From the trailer I've seen it could either be really good, or really, really bad. It's only playing for a week here, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to see it in the theatre or just wait until it's out on DVD.

Another while I'm here...The Proposition? Another one playing for only a week. I love Nick Cave, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $16.00 to see it. Think he's been inspired by Deadwood?

caveap372.jpg

Edited by jahilia
Another while I'm here...The Proposition?

I haven't seen it yet, but The Proposition is pretty high on my "must-see" list. Hopefully it'll show up here sometime soon.