• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Office (from last night).

I know, I know, the BBC version is better - but I really like the US version too.

I'm a big fan of the original, so I thought I'd give the US version a go. I just finished season 2 last night and that last episode (Michael burns his foot on the Foreman Grill, Dwight gets a concussion on the way to save him) has got to be the funniest half hour I've ever seen!

B000BT97AO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you are open-minded and like to have that open mind blown rent this. Neil Gaiman with artist Dave McKean hooked up with the Jim Henson Company to tell this mind bending fairy tale. I rented it then immediately bought it. It's called Mirror Mask. Amazon's reviews can be quite shakey but this received a four star rating from 95 reviews. A well deserved four stars. B)

how is that???

It's not easy, likable viewing, but it is brimming with glaring Outback skies, surprising intelligence, committed performances, and complex moral turnabouts. It's among my favorites of the year.

hard_candy_clip4.jpg

A sharp 14-year-old girl agrees to meet her chat room pal, an older man, but the story reverses our expectations: She drugs him, ties him up, and plans an awful torture regime to punish him for being a potential pedophile. (I know what you're thinking... does it involve castration? Why, yes, yes it does.) That makes it sound like a teen-movie version of Death and the Maiden or Takashi Miike's Audition, and it does contain a similar vein of sadism, but it also contains a surprising sense of humor: When the dude's family jewels go crunching down the garbage disposal, it's both cringe-worthy and funny. That tense mix of horror and wit reminded me more of the Australian Alexandra's Project, another clever revenge drama about sexual politics and games.

To kick off the Halloween season, a couple of real losers.

I always knew Halloween III would be a bad, bad movie. But something in me always wanted to see it. Now I've gone and done it. A terrible concept with dreadful execution. A psychotic toymaker plans to celebrate "the first real Halloween since the first one" by smuggling one of the Stongehenge monuments to northern California (explained thusly: "You wouldn't believe how we got it here!") and use its power to ...somehow trigger computer chip implants in Halloween masks ...when the kids watch TV at 9pm on Halloween... something something...carnage. The sight of Tom Atkins' bare ass is one of the more frightening things in this film, along with the opening credits, which implicate both John Carpenter and Debra Hill as producers. Carpenter also co-wrote the music. Does this mean he wanted this movie to work? Did he have plans for a Halloween franchise, a new film for each season, with new villians and new heroes? If so, thank God that idea ended with this installment, and good ol' Michael Myers was brought back from the dead for Halloween IV.

My brother is a big fan of Carnival of Souls, so even though I previously made it through only ten minutes of this 1962(?) low-fi mess, I gave it another try. Ehh. It was good for a few laughs. A young woman is an unlikely sole survivor of a car crash, and immediately moves to Utah, to play organ in a church. Along the way, she's terrorized by a ghoul, a handsome man in a suit with black bags under his eyes and a creepy smile. She alternately freaks out and smiles when she sees this guy. I don't think the actress was supposed to smiling, though. Like I said, lo-fi. She meets a would-be suitor who annoys her with his drunken loutishness, until she needs him to save her from the demon. He thinks she's crazy. They're both boring. Then a psychiatrist enters from nowhere, explaining her problems to her in the same annoying way as the doctor at the end of Psycho. This is as kind a comparison I can make to Hitchcock for this film. There is one interesting scene where she's possessed by who knows as she's playing creepy music on the church organ and the minister calls her a heretic and fires her. But that one moment only shows what could have been. I was left wondering what exactly my brother was smoking when he watched this one.

Will be watching:-

HAMMER AND TICKLE - Tue 10 Oct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries...er-tickle.shtml

Ben Lewis' funny and insightful feature-length documentary tells the real history of communism through jokes - the language of truth during the regime in the Soviet Union.

Lots of jokes, lots of drinking, and lots of sex - the three things the Communist authorities could never stamp out.

Storyville is a great umbrella for lots of good stuff. They even showed IATTBYH once.

Currently enjoying Season 5 of Scrubs on TV and season 4 on DVD.

Season 4 is definately the funniest so far.

The Mothman Prophecies isn't really a horror movie at all. It's more of a metaphysical disaster flick. Richard Gere is drawn to a town in West Virginia (do you remember this being filmed, A-man?) two years after the tragic death of his wife. Folks in Point Pleasant are hallucinating, it seems, a shadowy figure who looks like an eight foot tall mothman. Gere's wife saw the same dude before she kicked the bucket. Gere's senses are frayed by his own connection to the mothman. If Gere could act- that is, if he could actually show any emotion at all on his lump-of-clay face - we could feel for the guy's descent. In the end, we get an M. Night Shamalayan movie, except with glossier atmospherics and a big budget Hollywood version of "mood." Officially now, we are 0-3 with Screamtacular Filmfest Oct 2006.

The Mothman Prophecies isn't really a horror movie at all. It's more of a metaphysical disaster flick. Richard Gere is drawn to a town in West Virginia (do you remember this being filmed, A-man?) two years after the tragic death of his wife. Folks in Point Pleasant are hallucinating, it seems, a shadowy figure who looks like an eight foot tall mothman. Gere's wife saw the same dude before she kicked the bucket. Gere's senses are frayed by his own connection to the mothman. If Gere could act- that is, if he could actually show any emotion at all on his lump-of-clay face - we could feel for the guy's descent. In the end, we get an M. Night Shamalayan movie, except with glossier atmospherics and a big budget Hollywood version of "mood." Officially now, we are 0-3 with Screamtacular Filmfest Oct 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mothman_Prophecies

the book

http://www.mothmanlives.com/indexFRAME.html

everything else

M. Night whatever-the-hell-his-name-is has to be one of the most overrated directors of all time, but I hate all Disney movies except Fantasia.

Just got back from Keeping Mum, a very cute comedy with Maggie Smith, Mr. Bean, Kristen or Kirsten Scott Thomas, a girl with nice boobs and Patrick Swayze. Funny, perfect in pitch without any clunkers whatsoever. At this rate, I may never see a Hollywood big-movie movie again until I see the Scorcese next weekend.

I just saw The Departed. I'm not in it, but it still is probably the best movie I'll see this year. See it.

There goes my theory that you are Matt Damon in real life. I still think El Famous is Affleck.

man, apollo is FAT!!

Spoiler alert! Geez!

I just saw The Departed. I'm not in it, but it still is probably the best movie I'll see this year. See it.

I was just about to PM you to ask if you made the cut. Bummer. I'm hoping to see it tomorrow, if time permits.