How'd the Cubs do tonight? :P

They lost...shocker. We're doing insanely awful but we only dropped one game to your NL favorites and hopefully, we'll nab at least one more game against the Sox to avoid any sweeps. At this point, i'll take solace in those highlights and leave it at that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I knew they lost - I was being a snot.

Ozzie just got tossed......

I am looking forward to the Sox/Cubs series.

I know.

Normally, I would be amazed the manger of a team winning a game 20-2 instructing a pitcher to bean somebody...but he's insane, so i'm not.

Me too. My hope is that they have nothing to lose except their pride and just come out like the did against the Reds and Cards...or that AJ gets belted again. :lol

I am definitely holding out for another bench clearing brawl.......the Sox better watch out. Prior might throw a towel at someone :lol

:rotfl

Normally, I would be amazed the manger of a team winning a game 20-2 instructing a pitcher to bean somebody...but he's insane, so i'm not.

Well, when the other team beans two batters in a row (the first one looked intentional), it's pretty standard practice to retaliate, score be damned. Ozzie's probably sick of seeing his players get hit.

Too bad the Sox can't share some of those runs with the A's. :D Shut out two consecutive nights at Coors Field... I know scoring has been down there, but sweet Jebus. :frusty

I'm dead serious, the Marlins might make a serious playoff push if they play anywhere near this level for the rest of the year. I don't think the WC in the NL will need more than 85 wins this year.

Too bad the Sox can't share some of those runs with the A's. :D Shut out two consecutive nights at Coors Field... I know scoring has been down there, but sweet Jebus. :frusty

Rudi says to buck up. Hard to win 'em all.

joerudi1.jpg

That's just Ozzie being Ozzie, right?

On Tuesday to reporters, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen referred to Chicago Sun-Times columnist and Around the Horn contributor Jay Mariotti as a derogatory name for a homosexual.

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti with columns of the past, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game with the Cardinals, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] fag."

Mariotti was covering the NBA Finals Tuesday night and was not present to hear what Guillen said.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "fag" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games , went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Scott Reifert, the White Sox's vice president of communications, offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.

I love the WNBA part and the "I have gay friends" thing. Reminds me of Stephen Colbert and Allen, his black friend.

I got free tickets to the Mets/Reds game tonight.

I'm a Baltimore fan stuck in Yankee/BoSox land, but hey, baseball is baseball and I haven't been to a major league game in a couple years.

His bullshit explanation is more ridiculous than the fact that he hurled the epithet.

Ozzie should definitely know better. Once caught in something like this, he should just own up to it, apologize, and move on. The "in my country" thing rings false.

I haven't had any problems with his other controversial comments recently (or at least the ones I've heard), but this was not a smart thing to say.

That said, Mariotti is definitely a whiny little bitch.