• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi reni!

no, i'm just commenting on the overall tone of this thread. ozzie is being laughed off, but if it were any other figure outside of chicago making these statements and following up with an even bigger foot-in-mouth moment while apologizing, holy hell would be unleashed and his head would be called for on a platter.

this is just an outsiders view. not singling you out reni.

Has anyone in this thread given Ozzie a pass for his comments? I haven't seen it. Sure, there have been jokes made, but they haven't been attempts to downplay the offensiveness of what he said. You're really reading a lot into all this ... almost seems like you're trying to fan flames that aren't even there.

For what it's worth, I expect Ozzie to be heavily fined at a minimum, and suspended for a week or so at a maximum (probably both), and that's perfectly OK with me. MLB has to do something that will get his attention.

Awww c'mon, you didn't expect me to say something after calling Wrigley a big Klan rally? Eh, what are you going to do...Ozzie has a big mouth, you have no control over that. Who knows, maybe Dusty will call him a fairy in a few weeks and balance will be restored...as long as AJ gets slugged again, i'll be happy.

Hey I never called Wrigley a big klan rally - but I did tire of the people behind be calling Cardinals players racially dergoatory terms. I would say Wrigley is more like a big frat house hazing party. :P :lol

Has anyone in this thread given Ozzie a pass for his comments? I haven't seen it. Sure, there have been jokes made, but they haven't been attempts to downplay the offensiveness of what he said. You're really reading a lot into all this ... almost seems like you're trying to fan flames that aren't even there.

For what it's worth, I expect Ozzie to be heavily fined at a minimum, and suspended for a week or so at a maximum (probably both), and that's perfectly OK with me. MLB has to do something that will get his attention.

Agreed 100%.

Though I'll maintain that Jay Mariotti is limp-wristed.

Hey I never called Wrigley a big klan rally - but I did tire of the people behind be calling Cardinals players racially dergoatory terms. I would say Wrigley is more like a big frat house hazing party. :P :lol

Well, I will admit the Cubs Roofie Day promotion is a huge hit w/ the kids...

go sox!

banner.jpg

White Sox fans, tell me please:

In an AL roto league where I have ample power & hitting in general but need wins and K's, is my buddy's offer of J Garland and Jaret Wright for J Dye and M Thornton fair & sufficient?

I have the feeling Dye has had his best half already, and certainly Garland can only improve.

Am I wrong?

But he's the greatest pitcher in MLB history.

He's up there, but he won't look like it this year, I think.

And as for the Jon Garland trade: I wouldn't get him or Wright, as I don't think either of them is as good as their best moments have shown. i think what you are seeing now is about what to expect: League average pitching. Garland will probably average out to about a 4.2 era for the year, so you're looking at decent pitching the rest of the way. If Dye keeps up his torrid pace, you'd really regret the trade though. I'd try to get more for Dye. Try Barry Zito.

And as for the Jon Garland trade: I wouldn't get him or Wright, as I don't think either of them is as good as their best moments have shown. i think what you are seeing now is about what to expect: League average pitching. Garland will probably average out to about a 4.2 era for the year, so you're looking at decent pitching the rest of the way. If Dye keeps up his torrid pace, you'd really regret the trade though. I'd try to get more for Dye. Try Barry Zito.

the same guy actually has Zito, so I'll try . . .

But he's the greatest pitcher in MLB history.

Sure, but that whole nationally televising minor league games so we could see him throw sixty pitches was more than a little over the top. They're almost as bad with Clemens as they are with Barry Bonds. Sportscenter tonight, had the world cup not been going on right now, would have been (and still may be) twenty minutes of Clemens analysis and forty minutes of everything else.

Whoa.....tell me your kidding right?

Clemmens greatest in MLB history?

Out of curiosity, who would you nominate instead?

I think Clemens is the best I've seen. I never saw Bob Gibson pitch, however.

I also wonder what J.R. Richard's career might have been like, had it lasted.

Out of curiosity, who would you nominate instead?

I think Clemens is the best I've seen. I never saw Bob Gibson pitch, however.

I also wonder what J.R. Richard's career might have been like, had it lasted.

If your saying all time greatest there's a few names to throw out

Cy Young

Walter Johnson

Christy Mathewson

Warren Spahn

just to name a few. Sure the Rocket is #9 in all time victories and a very great pitcher obviously, but nowhere near the greates ever...in my opinion. Think about it Cy Young 511 wins. That record will never be broken...ever. I admit to being biased. I'm a huge Sawx fan, have been for almost 40 years and I'll always consider Clemmens to be a prick. He was a whinny little bitch that didn't get what he wanted from Boston and left in a huff. Then the incessant will he or won't he retire shit the last few years. He's been stringing everyone along all season now in a display of ego you may never see again. I hope he gets shelled. Of course the bastard has sold his soul to the Devil and will win 12+ games and have an era of 1.3 or something ridiculous

Anyway...he's a great pitcher but I don't consider him to be the best ever. He is probably top 10 all time.

He's the best pitcher ever, with the possible exception of Walter Johnson.

Cy Young played in a completely different era that had pitchers expected to go all nine innings, and even pitch both games of a double header (he did that like 15 times in his career).

He's the best pitcher ever, with the possible exception of Walter Johnson.

Cy Young played in a completely different era that had pitchers expected to go all nine innings, and even pitch both games of a double header (he did that like 15 times in his career).

You are correct sir! also to Note: Cy holds the record for most wins all time at 511 but also the record for most losses as well with 313 no way anyone gets close these days, what with a 5 man rotation and going 6-7 strong innings is considered a quality start

Sound of other shoe dropping:

Riske, Guillen suspended

June 22, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chicago White Sox pitcher David Riske was suspended three games by the commissioner's office Thursday for intentionally throwing at St. Louis' Chris Duncan this week.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen also was suspended, for one game. He and Riske were each fined an undisclosed amount by Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations for Major League Baseball.

Riske's suspension was scheduled to start with Thursday night's home game against the Cardinals, unless the reliever appeals. Guillen was required to serve his penalty Thursday -- there was no appeal process available for him.

Riske and Guillen were ejected in the seventh inning of Chicago's 20-6 victory Tuesday night after the right-hander hit Duncan with a pitch.

The benches had been warned in the bottom of the sixth after St. Louis pitcher Sidney Ponson plunked two White Sox batters with the bases loaded.