• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanley Ramirez facts

1. Hanley Ramirez once hit 9 homeruns in just 7 at bats.

2. He once turned a triple play on a groundball to him at shortstop. He stepped on second base and raced over to first for the first 2 outs. Chipper Jones, who was rounding third base was so impressed with Hanley's speed, he stopped running and allowed Hanley to tag him for the third out.

3. Hanley bodyslammed Andre the Giant 2 times (eat that Hogan)

4. Winner of an Oscar in 2002 for "Best Shades in an Action Movie"

5. Hanley scored 52 points on the 1984 Chicago Bears Defense... by himself

6. He defeated both Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkens in a dunk contest

7. He once bet $100,000 on a roulette wheel that it would land on 0.... and it did.

8. Was offered the starring role in Forrest Gump but turned it down because he wasnt allowed to wear his trademark shadez.

9. Hanley can dunk from the 3 point line

10. He knocked out Butterbean with 1 jab

11. Hanley was the original Dream Job and Survivor winner

12. Hanley kicked a 67 yard field goal to win the 1999 Super Bowl

13. He was THE main attraction at the 1942 World's Fair

14. Hanley scored 104 points in the 1997 Rock n Jock basketball game on MTV without using any of the bonus baskets.

15. He once caught 4 fish with 1 fishing pole, and by fish we mean lions and by fishing pole we mean bare hands.

16. Hanley steals home before pitches are even thrown.

17. The Hanley-Man Can

18. In the offseason he raises money for the poor by stealing from the rich; a modern day Robin Hood- Man in Shades

19. Hanley is a platinum recording artist in the states, Latin America and Europe.

20. He makes a fantastic rum cake for his weekend get togethers.

21. Hanley Ramirez doesn't make errors--the ball is just afraid of him.

22. Shadez was the first man to walk on the moon... with sunglasses on.

23. NBC had their highest ratings ever when Hanley filled in for a vacationing Johnny Carson for a week back in 1974.

24. Hanley was also the first man to walk on Jupiter. He then stole 2nd base.

25. He scored 6 touchdowns in the Ice Bowl.

26. Back in 2004, Hanley led the presidential voting in 34 states before withdrawing because he was "too cool" for "presidenting".

27. In an exhibition game at U.S. Cellular Field, he homered into the RF bleachers. In Wrigley.

28. In rookie ball, he drove a ball to deep centerfield, only to be informed he had been traded on his way to first base. So, he sprinted to the wall and robbed himself of a homerun.

29. While driving on the highway, he saw and overturned car on fire. Not only did he stop and save the people, but he taught them that by switching to Geico, they could save up to 15% on car insurance

30. With the Red Sox not having a GM in the winter of 2005, Hanley traded himself to the Marlins.

31. Fought on the front lines of WWI, WWII and the Civil War.

32. Hanley can outrun a fox.

33. Hosted the 1989 Oscars, and won an Oscar for his hosting performance.

34. Guest starred on Cheers for 2 years before being signed by the Red Sox.

35. In 2003, he was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He inducted himself.

36. He scored the game winning goal in the United States' hockey upset of the USSR in 1980.

37. Won the gold medal in the Team 400 Meter Relay at the 1996 Olympics. By himself.

38. Scored a 1600 on his SAT. He only took the Math section.

39. Hanley graduated from Yale in 3 months.

40. He sculpted Mt. Rushmore.

41. He once lept over the Grand Canyon to win a bet. Then let them keep their money.

42. Ramirez wrote Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album.

43. Wrote, Directed, and Produced the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. All in one weekend.

44. Was pointed at when Babe Ruth supposedly called his shot.

45. Showing off his slight of hand skill Hanley once made Theo Epstein disapear.

46. The original Superman comic was based on the life and times of Hanley Ramirez.

47. In a chess game Hanley defeated his opponent in 1 move.

48. Hanley once battled Bruce Lee in a street fight for three days.

49. He can turn a man to stone just by looking at him without his shades.

50. Bobby Thompson used Hanley's bat to hit the shot heard round the world.

51. Once stopped an earthquake in Indonesia by holding two tectonic plates together.

52. Hanley was born by ripping his way out of his mother's mouth.

53. Once famously said, "Yo man, Paul Revere... the British is comin'".

54. He created the Sphinx and modeled it after himself.

55. Hanley swam across the Atlantic Ocean, killing 112 sharks with his bare hands, in order to get some fish and chips from London.

56. Bet Christopher Colombus that there was a giant landmass undiscovered by Europeans.

57. He freed the Jews from the Pharoah and let Moses take the credit.

58. Taught himself 100 foreign languages on one bus trip from Portland to Jamestown.

59. Single-handedly created the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons

60. Hanley tagged and scored from 3rd base on a pop fly to pitcher's mound.

61. Whenever the New York Mets have had a no hitter past the 7th inning, it has been Hanley Ramirez who has broken it up... every time.

62. Knows how to end a joke gracefully

63. Hanley Ramirez dressed as Tedy Bruschi for the Patriots-Bills game and played in order for Bruschi to receive his deification from ESPN

64. Hanley blew Carlton Fisk's home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series fair.

65. Hanley Ramirez is the reason Fred Snodgrass dropped the flyball to end Game 7 of the 1912 World Series.

66. Hanley Ramirez spiked Ty Cobb and lived to tell the tale.

67. Hanley Ramirez is the reason the Dodgers and Giants moved to California.

68. Hanley Ramirez taught Candy Cummings the curveball.

69. Hanley Ramirez created the Ball-in-Glove logo.

70. The June 24th game between the Marlins and Yankees was not, in fact, called by rain as was previously reported. Hanley had plans.

71. When Hanley Ramirez comes up, the scoreboard lists his HRs, RBIs, and "Batting Outstanding" for his stats because nothing about Hanley Ramirez is average.

Guest baseball bobblehead

Hanley is dangerously close to being booted off my fantasy team if he doesn't start hitting the ball.

Hanley Ramirez facts

1. Hanley Ramirez once hit 9 homeruns in just 7 at bats.

2. He once turned a triple play on a groundball to him at shortstop. He stepped on second base and raced over to first for the first 2 outs. Chipper Jones, who was rounding third base was so impressed with Hanley's speed, he stopped running and allowed Hanley to tag him for the third out.

3. Hanley bodyslammed Andre the Giant 2 times (eat that Hogan)

4. Winner of an Oscar in 2002 for "Best Shades in an Action Movie"

5. Hanley scored 52 points on the 1984 Chicago Bears Defense... by himself

6. He defeated both Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkens in a dunk contest

7. He once bet $100,000 on a roulette wheel that it would land on 0.... and it did.

8. Was offered the starring role in Forrest Gump but turned it down because he wasnt allowed to wear his trademark shadez.

9. Hanley can dunk from the 3 point line

10. He knocked out Butterbean with 1 jab

11. Hanley was the original Dream Job and Survivor winner

12. Hanley kicked a 67 yard field goal to win the 1999 Super Bowl

13. He was THE main attraction at the 1942 World's Fair

14. Hanley scored 104 points in the 1997 Rock n Jock basketball game on MTV without using any of the bonus baskets.

15. He once caught 4 fish with 1 fishing pole, and by fish we mean lions and by fishing pole we mean bare hands.

16. Hanley steals home before pitches are even thrown.

17. The Hanley-Man Can

18. In the offseason he raises money for the poor by stealing from the rich; a modern day Robin Hood- Man in Shades

19. Hanley is a platinum recording artist in the states, Latin America and Europe.

20. He makes a fantastic rum cake for his weekend get togethers.

21. Hanley Ramirez doesn't make errors--the ball is just afraid of him.

22. Shadez was the first man to walk on the moon... with sunglasses on.

23. NBC had their highest ratings ever when Hanley filled in for a vacationing Johnny Carson for a week back in 1974.

24. Hanley was also the first man to walk on Jupiter. He then stole 2nd base.

25. He scored 6 touchdowns in the Ice Bowl.

26. Back in 2004, Hanley led the presidential voting in 34 states before withdrawing because he was "too cool" for "presidenting".

27. In an exhibition game at U.S. Cellular Field, he homered into the RF bleachers. In Wrigley.

28. In rookie ball, he drove a ball to deep centerfield, only to be informed he had been traded on his way to first base. So, he sprinted to the wall and robbed himself of a homerun.

29. While driving on the highway, he saw and overturned car on fire. Not only did he stop and save the people, but he taught them that by switching to Geico, they could save up to 15% on car insurance

30. With the Red Sox not having a GM in the winter of 2005, Hanley traded himself to the Marlins.

31. Fought on the front lines of WWI, WWII and the Civil War.

32. Hanley can outrun a fox.

33. Hosted the 1989 Oscars, and won an Oscar for his hosting performance.

34. Guest starred on Cheers for 2 years before being signed by the Red Sox.

35. In 2003, he was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He inducted himself.

36. He scored the game winning goal in the United States' hockey upset of the USSR in 1980.

37. Won the gold medal in the Team 400 Meter Relay at the 1996 Olympics. By himself.

38. Scored a 1600 on his SAT. He only took the Math section.

39. Hanley graduated from Yale in 3 months.

40. He sculpted Mt. Rushmore.

41. He once lept over the Grand Canyon to win a bet. Then let them keep their money.

42. Ramirez wrote Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album.

43. Wrote, Directed, and Produced the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. All in one weekend.

44. Was pointed at when Babe Ruth supposedly called his shot.

45. Showing off his slight of hand skill Hanley once made Theo Epstein disapear.

46. The original Superman comic was based on the life and times of Hanley Ramirez.

47. In a chess game Hanley defeated his opponent in 1 move.

48. Hanley once battled Bruce Lee in a street fight for three days.

49. He can turn a man to stone just by looking at him without his shades.

50. Bobby Thompson used Hanley's bat to hit the shot heard round the world.

51. Once stopped an earthquake in Indonesia by holding two tectonic plates together.

52. Hanley was born by ripping his way out of his mother's mouth.

53. Once famously said, "Yo man, Paul Revere... the British is comin'".

54. He created the Sphinx and modeled it after himself.

55. Hanley swam across the Atlantic Ocean, killing 112 sharks with his bare hands, in order to get some fish and chips from London.

56. Bet Christopher Colombus that there was a giant landmass undiscovered by Europeans.

57. He freed the Jews from the Pharoah and let Moses take the credit.

58. Taught himself 100 foreign languages on one bus trip from Portland to Jamestown.

59. Single-handedly created the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons

60. Hanley tagged and scored from 3rd base on a pop fly to pitcher's mound.

61. Whenever the New York Mets have had a no hitter past the 7th inning, it has been Hanley Ramirez who has broken it up... every time.

62. Knows how to end a joke gracefully

63. Hanley Ramirez dressed as Tedy Bruschi for the Patriots-Bills game and played in order for Bruschi to receive his deification from ESPN

64. Hanley blew Carlton Fisk's home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series fair.

65. Hanley Ramirez is the reason Fred Snodgrass dropped the flyball to end Game 7 of the 1912 World Series.

66. Hanley Ramirez spiked Ty Cobb and lived to tell the tale.

67. Hanley Ramirez is the reason the Dodgers and Giants moved to California.

68. Hanley Ramirez taught Candy Cummings the curveball.

69. Hanley Ramirez created the Ball-in-Glove logo.

70. The June 24th game between the Marlins and Yankees was not, in fact, called by rain as was previously reported. Hanley had plans.

71. When Hanley Ramirez comes up, the scoreboard lists his HRs, RBIs, and "Batting Outstanding" for his stats because nothing about Hanley Ramirez is average.

Hanley Ramirez is a Homo Sapien

That's what they used to say about Mike Piazza!

Tadahito Iguchi has driven in seven runs in two innings to bring the White Sox back from 9-2 down to a 9-9 tie. They're now going into the 11th.

He hit a three-run homer in the 8th and a grand slam in the 9th. The Sox were down 9-5 and down to their last out in the 9th with one man on, and they got a single and a walk to load the bases for Iguchi, who got the job done.

Watch -- they'll lose this one now. But damn, what a comeback. :D

Watch -- they'll lose this one now. But damn, what a comeback. :D

Rats. But 7 runs in 2 innings from two homers from one guy? Out of control....

I'm in shock over tiger pitching!!!! :blink

ERA's

Kenny Rogers - 3.44 - rank 11th in AL - 10 wins

Jeremy Bonderman - 3.65 - rank 15th in AL - 102 Strikeouts

Nate Robertson - 3.38 - rank 9th in AL

Justin Verlander - 3.39 - rank 10th in AL - 9 wins

I don't remember many really good pitching staffs for the Tigers. Jack Morris is the last decent pitcher I can recall.

Possible that they'll have 2 20 win pitchers?

Verlander's got my vote for AL ROY so far....

ERA's

I don't remember many really good pitching staffs for the Tigers. Jack Morris is the last decent pitcher I can recall.

I know. It's weird. But beautiful. Beautifully weird. I remember when Bill Gullickson won 20 games and everyone pretended that it meant that he was good, just because the team was so hard pressed for a real starting pitcher at the time. This is a totally different Tigers team than any I can remember within my lifetime.

Marlins' starter ERA since we swept the Cubs in May:

Willis: 3-2 2.38 ERA

Moe: 4-2 5.40 ERA

Olsen: 4-0 2.92 ERA

JJ: 3-2 1.39 ERA

Nolasco: 3-3 3.00 ERA

Who is Moe?

I know. It's weird. But beautiful. Beautifully weird. I remember when Bill Gullickson won 20 games and everyone pretended that it meant that he was good, just because the team was so hard pressed for a real starting pitcher at the time. This is a totally different Tigers team than any I can remember within my lifetime.

Who is Moe?

Sorry, I got that from a Marlins site and didn't catch that. It's "Big Moe" Brian Moehler (who has pitched much better than the ERA suggests, with 6/8 quality starts in that period).

Despite disliking both teams immensely (for obvious reasons), I'm really looking forward to the Sox/Mets series. Classic pitching matchups tomm and thurs as well. You know it's big when Mike and the Mad Dog make the trip.

Despite disliking both teams immensely (for obvious reasons), I'm really looking forward to the Sox/Mets series. Classic pitching matchups tomm and thurs as well. You know it's big when Mike and the Mad Dog make the trip.

Pedro deserves a standing ovation. He was pitching the day D-Lowe, Dave Roberts, et al. got to come back in early 2005 for the celebration at Fenway.

ERA's

And Zach Miner is 4-1 replacing Maroth.

From espn.com Elias Says

Detroit's Zach Miner won his fourth consecutive start on Monday. His teammate Justin Verlander won four consecutive starts earlier this season (May 10-27). They are the first rookie teammates to win (at least) four consecutive starts since 1984, when two duos did it: Dwight Gooden and Ron Darling for the Mets and Roger Clemens and Al Nipper for the Red Sox.

Hall of Fame analyst Gammons in hospital

ESPN broadcaster undergoing surgery for brain aneurysm

The Associated Press

Updated: 6:57 p.m. ET June 27, 2006

BOSTON - ESPN baseball analyst Peter Gammons was stricken with a brain aneurysm Tuesday morning and underwent surgery at a local hospital.

The 61-year-old Gammons is expected to be in intensive care for 10 to 12 days, the Boston Globe reported on its Web site. Gammons started at the Globe in 1969.

Gammons, a member of the writers

Guest baseball bobblehead

big league vibes for Peter Gammons! I'm surprised they haven't mentioned it on NESN tonite! or maybe they did once while we were in wholefoods...