I find that when I'm listening to all of my wilco material--albums, concerts, demos, etc.--on the ipod, etc. that I routinely skip when it comes to a track off this album, as I've typically found 2, 3, 12 live versions that have taken the place of the original for me...

But you bring up an interesting point and so I shall play the album through again and see what happens.

:)

I decided to put aside my torrenting (this is worse than alcohol, nicotine or [insert drug here], and it appears I may lose my wife over it if I don't learn to start using in moderation--but come on, dozens and dozens of good quality wilco/tweedy/sideproject concerts in audio and/or dvd??!!?? FOR FREE??!!!!!???? and all you have to do is keep the torrent up for awhile after downloading to keep a nice share ratio??!?!?! ok, took a xanax, I've calmed down now) for a few hours and erased it all from my head as best I could and gave A Ghost Is Born a fresh listen without distraction.

And I conclude that it is a fantastic record. Subdued at times, thoughtfully sporadic and fierce at others, interesting recording, engineering and production, contemplative and imagry-filled lyrics. Subtle arrangements and choice of instruments and tone.

I kept assuming, because of how much I've fallen in love with subsequent live versions of these songs--versions that are now permanently residing on all kinds of playlists, "all-timers" etc.--that the album just wouldn't have any luster anymore for me. hmpf.

I still think, for me at least, that it's better listened to by itself, rather than randomly plucked in shuffle rotations, etc. along with all the live stuff--but I think that's more a function of my tremendously happy memories of the live tunes (and the images and feelings the live tunes bring back to life) than anything having to do with the record itself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think, for me at least, that it's better listened to by itself, rather than randomly plucked in shuffle rotations, etc. along with all the live stuff--but I think that's more a function of my tremendously happy memories of the live tunes (and the images and feelings the live tunes bring back to life) than anything having to do with the record itself.

agreed

I decided to put aside my torrenting (this is worse than alcohol, nicotine or [insert drug here], and it appears I may lose my wife over it if I don't learn to start using in moderation--but come on, dozens and dozens of good quality wilco/tweedy/sideproject concerts in audio and/or dvd??!!?? FOR FREE??!!!!!???? and all you have to do is keep the torrent up for awhile after downloading to keep a nice share ratio??!?!?! ok, took a xanax, I've calmed down now) for a few hours and erased it all from my head as best I could and gave A Ghost Is Born a fresh listen without distraction.

And I conclude that it is a fantastic record. Subdued at times, thoughtfully sporadic and fierce at others, interesting recording, engineering and production, contemplative and imagry-filled lyrics. Subtle arrangements and choice of instruments and tone.

I kept assuming, because of how much I've fallen in love with subsequent live versions of these songs--versions that are now permanently residing on all kinds of playlists, "all-timers" etc.--that the album just wouldn't have any luster anymore for me. hmpf.

I agree with everything you say here about AGIB. But what's weird is one of my oldest friends just described his enthusiasm for torrenting in the same way--as a crazy addiction that is nearly ruining his marriage and is a complete obsession!!! What am I missing??? He uses Dime a Dozen. Is that what you'd recommend (I know, a thread covered this at some point recently, but I'm a slow learner).

:w00t

Actually, that's one of the reasons I've been hesitant to try torrenting. A while back I scaled back my trading dramatically because it was consuming too much time, and I was collecting at a rate much faster than I could possibly listen. I'm afraid if I upgraded to torrenting, I'd be right back where I was.

I agree with everything you say here about AGIB. But what's weird is one of my oldest friends just described his enthusiasm for torrenting in the same way--as a crazy addiction that is nearly ruining his marriage and is a complete obsession!!! What am I missing??? He uses Dime a Dozen. Is that what you'd recommend (I know, a thread covered this at some point recently, but I'm a slow learner).

:w00t

I haven't used dimeadozen yet (joined it, but haven't downloaded one yet, unless I'm forgetting one). I've done one off of bt.etree. All the rest, so far, have been from this forum. Call it corny but I just trust the people on this site, and it's nice to see how many people make sure and seed something when they're done, just so that another vc'er can have it. I can't tell you how many smiles I've had over the past three weeks getting to listen (and see) some of these shows. I'm a little anxious at how devoted a fun I've become, but, well hell, life is short and I can't think of many things (artistically) that bring me the joy that this band's music does.

Every night I seem to learn (guitar) a little more, and every new concert gives me a little more to play, and a little more of a challenge.

As for my wife, she's learning to cope. When I get an invitation to Dr. Phil I'll know that it's time to curb my enthusiasm (maybe)...

:thumbup

I think half of it's great, and half of it is weak material. But there is no question it is easily the best engineered and produced Wilco record yet. It is aging much better than the others.

It would've been better if they had listened to you and put the orchestral reprises on it. Idiots!

Guest Jules

All this AGIB talk got me to pull up the Austin City Limits performance from January 2005 (recorded September '04). Gotta love Tivo. Anyway, if you can get over Jeff's appearance (he doesn't look well), some great performances of a few of the AGIB songs, and pretty true to the album (plus Nels and Pat of course). You can see most of them on youtube right now. ALTWYS, Muzzle of Bees, Hell is Chrome & I'm a Wheel.

Oh, and for good measure, Ashes with an early incarnation of the Nels influence.

Edited by Jules
All this AGIB talk got me to pull up the Austin City Limits performance from January 2005 (recorded September '04). Gotta love Tivo. Anyway, if you can get over Jeff's appearance (he doesn't look well), some great performances of a few of the AGIB songs, and pretty true to the album (plus Nels and Pat of course). You can see most of them on youtube right now. ALTWYS, Muzzle of Bees, Hell is Chrome & I'm a Wheel.

he actually looks pretty good on that one...

Since AGIB is two years old, I guess that means I started listening to Wilco two years ago. The first song I ever heard by them was ALTWYS. I was instantly enamoured with everything Wilco. I downloaded and eventually bought everything I could get my hands on. I've seen the band twice(one such occassion meant a ten hour car ride there, no hotel and a ten hour car ride back the same day.... :stunned ) and Jeff solo once. Hummingbird and Theologians have become favorites, but ALTWYS, I think will always rank number one in my book. I really enjoy all of their music and can't wait for a new album/new opportunites to see them live....I sure hope that this isn't the tail end of their time together....

It isn't until recently that I have begun to hear and understand Jeff's lyrics, but that's just because of the way I listen to music. The overall music is what I hear first and once I grasp that completely, the words start to come to the front and I hear those seperately. I think this is why I like Wilco so much. Jeff's voice quality, the actual sound of his voice, fits so well with the rest of the music. It's soothing to hear such a thing as opposed to a singer who "competes" with their voice against the music. As the band's sound has matured, Jeff's voice quality and confidence have increased as well. I like hearing the growth from album to album and I am extremely anxious to hear where the next one takes them.

Edited by foolnrian97
Jeff's voice quality, the actual sound of his voice, fits so well with the rest of the music. It's soothing to hear such a thing as opposed to a singer who "competes" with their voice against the music. As the band's sound has matured, Jeff's voice quality and confidence have increased as well. I like hearing the growth from album to album and I am extremely anxious to hear where the next one takes them.

i'm amazed at how jeff's voice seems to change on every album, but still sounds great every time. it seems like its on the verge of breaking/cracking at times but it never does (well... see below). after the sort of nasal tone of his voice on AGIB, which still sounded great, i love the way he seems to be pulling the smoother, higher notes out of his bellows nowadays, like on What light and walken

speaking of cracking, i always get a laugh out of this little passage:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/310qzk

:lol

i'm amazed at how jeff's voice seems to change on every album, but still sounds great every time. it seems like its on the verge of breaking/cracking at times but it never does (well... see below). after the sort of nasal tone of his voice on AGIB, which still sounded great, i love the way he seems to be pulling the smoother, higher notes out of his bellows nowadays, like on What light and walken

speaking of cracking, i always get a laugh out of this little passage:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/310qzk

:lol

i just laughed out loud, thanks for that.

• 3 years later...

I think it finally happened. AGIB finally showed itself as my favorite Wilco album over YHF. This is unfair though considering when I think of AGIB, I also consider The Wilco Book and the tour EP and the extras. Either way, the AGIB sessions is my favorite Wilco era. done and done..

Guest Speed Racer

I agree entirely: AGIB is my favorite Wilco studio album. However, I actually don't know how many of those songs would make my Wilco Top 10. I simply think AGIB is a perfectly produced, perfectly sequenced, perfectly awesome album.

Yankee is a perfect record for me. It has been since the minute I finally stopped listening to I Am Trying To Break Your Heart on repeat and gave the entire thing a listen. But Ghost was the record that transitioned Wilco from a band I really liked to a band I cared enough to post on their message boards, and listen to every thing they ever recorded. I became obsessed with Ghost in a different way than YHF, because Ghost isn't perfect to me. And I found that imperfection a little more interesting than Yankee. The fact that parts of the album didn't seem to fit, it started quiet, stayed quiet, and then went from Krautrock to Nick Drake to the McCartney's half of the White Album in the three songs, whereas every second of Yankee seemed constructed exactly they way it should be. Just about everything I love about Wilco is in Ghost, and it was also completely the right record at the right time for me. Yankee would place higher if I had to list my favorite albums of all time, but Ghost is the Wilco record I'd take with me if I could only pick one.

--Mike

Not to be that guy, but it may go down as the last great Wilco record, as I certainly think it's Major League vs double AA for the last two.

Not to be that guy, but it may go down as the last great Wilco record, as I certainly think it's Major League vs double AA for the last two.

Playing "the last great Wilco record" game is difficult, because who knows how the band is going be thought of down the road. Every record since YHF has gotten a pretty mixed reaction. And while I agree Ghost is miles above and beyond Sky and Wilco The Album, it's really hard to tell how we'll think of these things down the road. They're also not done yet, there are still Major League songs on SBS and WTA, even though overall AA is probably the best description.

--Mike

My rankings these days are now as follows:

A ghost is born

Yankee hotel foxtrot

Sky blue sky

Being there

Summerteeth

Wilco (the album)

A.M.

..that actually was painful to do

i think sky blue sky is certainly a major league record, but perhaps along the lines of the kansas city royals. Oddly enough, one of my favorite baseball teams and one of my favorite albums :cheers

it's really hard to tell how we'll think of these things down the road.

exactly this. Having followed this band since the days of A.M., I remember being disappointed when YHF came out, thinking that the mix buried and muffled Jeff's voice, producing all the passion out of it. It wasn't that they'd strayed from their alt-country roots, as I'm all for experimentation, but something just didn't click. Now, though, I have come to think of it (as many have) as their masterpiece. SBS by contrast, was on repeat for a good two months, before cooling off into what I though of as mediocrity. But as more time passes, it has seemed to climb back up the ladder again.

So first impressions, and even second and third (at least in my case) have not always been trustworthy. This is why I will reserve judgement on W(TA) until their next one comes out, and even then i reserve the right to change my mind about it.

Ghost of Electricity makes good points. All of their albums have gone through transitions with me. I loved Wilco the album when it first came out, then got bored, then loved it, currently a little bored with it, but I will truly truly love it in the long run I assure you