• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Wilco hasn't put out a "bad" album yet. All their albums are great in their own rights. For me AGIB is great, the musicianship is top notch and I find I enjoy it more with every listen.

"Theologians," is by far the highlight for me. The first time I heard it during soundcheck at the Three Rivers Arts Festival in Pittsburgh three years ago I just about cried it was so good. As far as the album proper, I rarely listen to it anymore and rank it only above "A.M." & "Mermaid Vol II."

yeah, it is pretty good, eh? :lol

i agree about the early version of LTYT.. the vocals were more emotional.

as for AGIB, i probably havent listed to it its entirety for a year, but selected tunes are on my mp3 player and get daily listens (hummingbird, company, theologians and late greats).. muzzle and spiders probably every couple of days

The thing that always strikes me about AGIB is just how personal it sounds, it sounds like your in the room with the band, sometimes it gets so quiet, it feels like you can hear the light coming through the window and hitting the floor.

I love being there, and I think Summerteeth is at points even better and maybe occaionally a little worse then BT, YHF is the most discussed album, and its a master piece. But...nothing has ever gotten under my skin the way a Ghost Is Born does. Ive made a habit of listening to it right after the sun comes up driving all night on road trips and tours and it always crushes me how emotional it is. The only other album that has that for me is Astral Weeks, and in a much different way.

It's my favorite album too; it was the one that got me into Wilco. It was the first album that taught me the importance of not taking a song for face value, and giving it repeated listens, and the immense rewards that come from such a thing. "ALTWYS" is the greatest curve ball opener since "everything in its right place". The album evolves, too. Originally, my favorite songs were "Hummingbird" and "Theologians". Such amazing songs, po from the cosmos. Now I'm just in love with "Handshake Drugs". The song is a subtle, rich, detailed masterpiece. I love how John and Glenn add so much groove to it, while Leroy's piano work, and Tweedy's guitar work give it this great sense of fogginess; goes great with the lyrics "exactly what do you want me to be?" You know you're listening to a great song when even the shaker part stands out in the mix. Even if it isn't their best, most heartfelt album, I think it is their most intriguing, their most interesting, and most engaging album. As for live verses studio, I think it's apples and oranges for most of the songs. "Handshake Drugs" is the best example; both are great, but for their own reasons. For me at least, it really kills the flow if I were to mix live with studio.

A Ghost is Born may be wilco's best album.. although Being There can't be fucked with, and certainly every album is more than spectacular. indeed wilco is the best english speaking rock band.

i cast my vote for Company in my Back as the best song on the album.

i hope all of you AGIB fans have dug well into the Loose Fur projects.

For me, I can't imagine they could top AGIB - and I'm not sure I'd want them to; I'm ready for something different, but will always come back to this one. The raw emotion, in the guitar and the lyrics, is what gets me.

Oddly, I like this recorded version of Muzzle of Bees better than any I've heard live. The building of guitars at the end just takes me off somewhere.

-Laura

For me, I can't imagine they could top AGIB - and I'm not sure I'd want them to; I'm ready for something different, but will always come back to this one. The raw emotion, in the guitar and the lyrics, is what gets me.

Oddly, I like this recorded version of Muzzle of Bees better than any I've heard live. The building of guitars at the end just takes me off somewhere.

-Laura

Agreed. I wish Tweedy would play his solo from the studio version live; make no mistake, Nels' solos in songs like "Ashes of American Flags" bring down the effing house! but I dunno, it just doesn't have the fuzz of Tweedy's solo, removing it from the context of the song, and it sounds more like a bebop solo than anything; so it seems a little too difficult for the sake of it. Yet judging by the setlists, I don't know if they're even playing "Muzzle" anymore =(

Somewhere over the two years I stopped worrying about whether or not the album was better then Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, how if they recorded the old version of Spiders or put Panthers and Cars Can't Escape in over the drone it would have been a better album, and started enjoying it for what it is. It's a very organic sounding album with some brilliant songwriting and even the lesser songs okay just I'm a Wheel are pretty enjoyable. At Least That's What You Said, Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking rank high in my list of favorite Wilco songs, Muzzle has 3 spots in my Top 25 most listened to songs on my ipod. Company in My Back sums up the feel of exhaustive panic like nothing else I've ever heard before. I could go on and on about each song, long story short I like them all.

While not everything knocks me out everytime I listen to it, like the White Album, the good stuff is good enough to carry me through ten minutes of Spiders when I am not in the mood for it or 123456789 (which is probably a lot cooler then I am giving it credit for). So I don't know if it's better the YHF or Summerteeth or Being There (it is much better then Son Volt), but it's a great record by favorite band. I listen to this record at least every two weeks and the songs on it even more as I am now a show addict and for the second time in two sentences I will say I think it's great.

--Mike

Like many classic albums in rock, AGIB grows on you and reveals itself over repeated listens over time. Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking kill me every time.

Live life to the fullest, run with scissors

lets play a word association game:

AGIB, repeated listening, and scissors

what would make me jab a sharp object into my ear?

As AGIB was my introduction to Wilco I'll always have a large spot in my heart for it. That said - I have a hard time with Less than You Think and usually skip it when listening to the album.

As AGIB was my introduction to Wilco I'll always have a large spot in my heart for it. That said - I have a hard time with Less than You Think and usually skip it when listening to the album.

I think you could probably start a whole thread on that subject . . .