• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think todays terror plot in the UK is a manufactured distraction to shift focus away from what Isreal is about to do to Lebanon.

I doubt that, but it's interesting that after Mohammed Abdul Kahar was shot by British police in an anti-terror raid a couple of months ago, and was found to be completely innocent of any terror charges, the police and politians reguarly spoke of how they reguarly stopped major terrorist threats on a monthly basis, but that the public just doesn't hear about them. I would be interested to find out why this raid and the one involving the two brothers are both news worthy whilst other major threats aren't - now on this occassion they apparently have uncovered a plot to blow up a number of aircraft so that is a big deal, but what was the big deal about the two brothers? I myself feel that the truth is that these are the ONLY two cases that they have acted upon since last July and have used the media to pull at any thread they find to keep the issue in the public eye.

It's also interesting to hear them talk about how, if the plot to blow up the planes had been successful, that more people would have died than the twin towers attack. I always love speculation. The politician saying this said that they planned to blow up three planes on one day, then three on the next and then three on a third day, which is just such utter bollocks it's funny. Either the bloke was just talking shit from his own interpretation of events or the intelligence is wrong - why would anyone think that they could set up a plan that would go over 3 days - it would obviously fail - their major advantage is surprise, so to carry out the plan over three days would simply lead to members being arrested without the slightest chance of success. What it implies is that these politicians think the terrorists are simply mad men that plan their attacks like a brainless Hollywood Boogie Man rather than an organised intelligent outfit.

I think todays terror plot in the UK is a manufactured distraction to shift focus away from what Isreal is about to do to Lebanon.

Probably. With this, and the White house press office being closed for "renovations", Bush doesn't need any accountability. Heck, the Israel/Lebanon issue will be as forgotten as the Immigration bill. And if this doesn't work, there's always Cuba-US relations rhetoric to turn to.

I just picked up my passport yesterday. I'm flying to London on September 1st and returning on the 10th. I haven't flown in 10 years and hated flying long before 9-11.

Anyway I turned on NPR this morning on the way to work and heard the story. I then bought a pack of cigarettes. All in all I think this story just added two more shots of whiskey and another beer to my pre-boarding meal

capt.3193ef9396924ce2a083ae6e6ce34ad8.mideast_israel_lebanon_fighting_xmm101.jpg?x=380&y=247&sig=e0YHvZpE7.pYe3ha8dmrUQ--

An Israeli Arab woman, relative of Marim Asadi, 26, grieves during a joint funeral for Asadi and her son Fathi, in the Arab town of Deir Al-Assad, in northern Israel, Thursday, Aug. 10, 2006. Asadi and her son Fathi, 5, were killed earlier Thursday in a Hezbollah rocket attack in the town. (AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen)

:no

The world is f*(&ed up, no doubt about it. And none of it really makes sense. None of it really can. And it is true that organized religion helps to inflame these sorts of things. Organized religion is a man-made institution, and by that token is flawed and corrupt. The policies of Isreal, while obvsiouly justified, often times seem to stray far from what it seems God would rather have us do. This is organized religion's fault, not Gods. It's the result of the man-made goverment, which is still of the world and fudamentally screwed up as a result.

The wonderful thing is that God is above religion. I mean, it's easy for anyone to pick a Bible and realize that God finds all this sad and disgusting as well. I guess I'm just sharing some thoughts, and don't want to shove anything down anyone's throat, but I find that the only way I can cope with any of this is to realize that the world is broken, God came and made sure that we had a way out of this mess, and that eventually it'll all be over.

I don't even know if that really makes sense to anybody. I'm all up for discussing the natural as well as supernatural implications of these events, but I didn't want to hijack the thread or launch a four-page essay explaining where I'm coming from with this from the get go.

I would like to offer an apology, on behalf of my fellow Jews and Christians ( I'm a Messianic Jew, which is basicaly a Jew that trusts Jesus as their savor...yeah most people don't get it the first time either). I feel oftentimes that we lose sight of priorities in our faith...mainly loving our enemies, and praying and seeking God's will on what he truly would have us do. I obviously can't judge whether the goverment of Isreal does that, but I know even us here in America need to strive for adopting such a stance. I feel that the situation would be much different if that was the case.

:hmm

I'm a Messianic Jew, which is basicaly a Jew that trusts Jesus as their savor...yeah most people don't get it the first time either

Not to change subject, but what exactly do you guys read? Obviously past the first five books, but do you believe the entire Bible? If so, what do you guys believe about the 144,000 that are mentioned in Revelation? (e.g. Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel. Revelation 7:4) If you don't want to answer any of this, that's fine. It's just that I'm Southern Baptist, and was just wondering about all this, as I've only heard of Messianic Jews and never had the chance to talk to one. I'd just love to know more about your beliefs.

Well I can't vouch for every Messianic Jew. Our family dosen't attend a church like that becuase the ones around here weren't really good fits for us. But we read and study the whole Bible. We celebrate a few of the Jewish holidays, the most important one for us being Passover ( when you delve into the tradition and symbolism, it's really quite amazing and moving. It puts the actions of Jesus durning Last Supper in a whole new light.).

Oftentimes people are so confused by the phrase Messianic Jew. Bascially when it comes down to it, we are don-denominational Christians theology-wise ( using only the Bible and not any external doctrine), but we find it imporant to acknowlage our Jewish blood and heritage. Christiany is ultimiatly the fullfillment of the Jewish culture anyways.

As for the refrences in Revelation, I couldn't honestly give you an answer off the top of my head. I haven't studied that book much or recently ( more worried about the present than the future at this point). I don't, however, belive in Replacement theology. The Jews are still God's chosen people, even though many still today reject the Messiah. Isreal, when mentioned in prophecy, usually still pertains to the Jews( although it dosen't hurt to check multipile translations and read up on it.).

when you delve into the tradition and symbolism, it's really quite amazing and moving. It puts the actions of Jesus durning Last Supper in a whole new light.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, as well as everything else you said.

Did anyone see the 60 Minutes interview with Iran's president last night? :stunned

Am I the only one who thought that a high school newspaper could have done a more hard hitting interview than Mike Wallace?

Did anyone see the 60 Minutes interview with Iran's president last night? :stunned
Yea I did. Not all that illuminating really.....

By the way, I think WWIII has been averted for the time being.

LouieB

Yea I did. Not all that illuminating really.....

By the way, I think WWIII has been averted for the time being.

LouieB

I don't know Lou, the rapture index is at it's highest so far this year.

I listened to some commentary this morning on NPR that argued repeatedly that WWIII is already upon us, and has been for about 5-10 years.

Who gets to make the official call of when it's a world war?

Semi-related: I was reading a historical novel set in WW2 a while back, and in it, one of the characters described the conflict as "World War II." Did people fighting in WW2 actually call it that, or did that name only come about later on? I could wiki this, but I'm more interested in the opinions here.

I listened to some commentary this morning on NPR that argued repeatedly that WWIII is already upon us, and has been for about 5-10 years.

Who gets to make the official call of when it's a world war?

Semi-related: I was reading a historical novel set in WW2 a while back, and in it, one of the characters described the conflict as "World War II." Did people fighting in WW2 actually call it that, or did that name only come about later on? I could wiki this, but I'm more interested in the opinions here.

I think Time Magazine gave it its name in an article. My recolection from an article I read was that until WWII, WWI was just known as "the war". Congress is the one that gets to make it official in our country as to when it's a war. But the term World War is just what the media called it.

I believe WWI was known as "The Great War" before it was called WWI

That is correct. I have the impression that the 1939-45 war was called World War II while it was going on, but I can't immediately confirm it.